• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-10 Historical Shot circa 87

Bird85

None
Pugs - you are correct. They were SERGRADS and were going to fly Hornets. The pilot who survived got A-6's instead. If that happened today, his wings would have been pulled in about 1 second.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Let me jack/jump in here 'cause many of you are reading this thread because it's PCOLA and the VT's ....

Does ANYONE have any pictures of or links to the dreaded, venerable VT-4 gun pattern??? T-2's, the Tractor, "you're SUCKED, now you're ACUTE -- take a QUICK TURN AWAY" .... all that stuff???

I have searched high and low, found one "painting" a few years ago, didn't save it, now the link is gone .... *sigh* ...I'm surprised there's not something out there, visually speaking.

Thanks in advance if you've got something.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sorry.. I should have mentioned that.. :eek: The dude running the site/Sunset program has been working on getting some more pictures.. I'll see what I can dig up...

Jabba

pilot
Exactly as Bird85 said it, in fact, I may have spoken with him during the MI. Two SERGRADS doing un briefed canopy rolls that ended in a midair killing TBird w/SNFO having injuries (broken collarbone?). Turned out they'd (SERGRAD IPs) done it before. Sad. However, TBird gained max post life respect when several fiance's showed up at memorial service. I was a T-2B IP from 85-87. When I checked into VT-10, we had 15 jets & 10 pilots. Ten days after checking in, in order to beat the HUREVAC order (where we HAD to go to CBM) I did a 4 plane go (a section go on each parallel runway) & we went to SPS in time for an epic nurse's graduation. Total SNFO T-2B syllabus in those days was 9 hops; 6 AirNav, 1 Form & 2 ACM. We finished several studs in a weekend when the PTR push was on. XC every weekend & Dets to NBG. Routinely flew 4 hops a day (O&I Choctaw ACM twice!), only managing to to staff for T-2 IPs at 10-12 for the 15 jets we had. Also got to fly with some great instructor NFOs (I came from single seat A-4M) like Butch, Tooper, Durds & Dog. A good tour. Had many former students in my next squadron during DS. They did great.