• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VQ-2 Moving

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not seen a thread on this yet but it is official, finally. Bad fo rpeople wanting the paradise that is Rota but good for VQ, there is strength in numbers.

Navy NewsStand

Story Number: NNS050608-03
Release Date: 6/8/2005 10:06:00 AM

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs

In-Depth Coverage ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate from Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

The relocation of VQ-2's six aircraft and 450 Sailors to the United States is in keeping with the Navy's ongoing transformation of forces in Europe, and will help reduce costs and eliminate redundancies throughout its force structure worldwide.

The move will co-locate the squadron with VQ-1, already based at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, and will realize efficiencies through the consolidation of personnel deployment practices, aircraft maintenance practices and air crew training for these unique Navy squadrons.

“This move is an essential element of our transformation in Europe, greatly enhancing our overall efficiency and, in the process, improving the operational capabilities of both VQ-1 and VQ-2,” said Adm. Harry Ulrich, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe.

“Both squadrons will now be strategically located together, maximizing their training and readiness posture and their ability to surge worldwide as required,” said Ulrich. “The officers and Sailors of VQ-2 are true professionals and have carried on a proud legacy here in Europe. Theirs is a tremendous record of success and excellence. I have no doubt they will continue that record in the future.”

VQ-2, established in 1955, has been operating out of Rota since 1960, and was at the forefront of the Navy's reconnaissance operations for the majority of the Cold War. The squadron was instrumental in providing reconnaissance collection for NATO operations in the Balkans in the 1990s, and operated alongside VQ-1 to enforce no-fly zones with operations Northern Watch and Southern Watch during the same period. More recently, VQ-2 deployed to support both operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom in the Middle East.

The closure of VQ-2 facilities in Rota is being done in phases, with most of the Sailors and their family members being permitted to complete their tours in Spain, while new personnel report to facilities in Whidbey Island.

Additionally, two smaller associated units, Naval Security Group Activity Rota and Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Unit Rota, will be disestablished through the ongoing transformation efforts

Another article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/227820_squadron09.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's just 6 more P-3s to knock the short field gear out of battery. :eek:

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
September 1 ??? Maybe earlier ... there was a sign over the Commissary entrance today that said : "Welcome VQ-2"

Sooooo .... why two VQ squadrons in the future --- if one of the stated goals of losing Rota for Whidbey is to: "help reduce costs and eliminate redundancies" ..... and enhance " efficiencies through the consolidation of personnel deployment practices, aircraft maintenance practices and air crew training" ... (boy, what a bunch of bureaucrat-speak !!).

Any bets on a decommissioning in the future for one of the squadrons .... i.e., "2" ???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 'official' move date is Setember 1st but the personnel wil be spread out several months before and after the official move date.

As for there being 2 VQ squadrons, I bet they both stick around. Both E-6B ssquadrons are still in existence, VQ-3 and 4, and they both have been stationed at Tinker AFB for about 10 years. The reason they are both still in existence is they have different AOR's and if you combined both of them they would be huge and unweildy.

VQ-1 has long been the largest operational/fleet squadron in the Navy, over 500 people when I was in the squadron, and VQ-2 has close to the same number. Back when VQ-1 had EA-3B's they were they had about 1000 people, they even had a couple years of CO's who were CAPT's. But I doubt they combine the two for the same reasons they have kept the E-6B squadrons apart.

As for the Bureaucratic speak, I think it is great they are both being based in the same location. It will help standardize training and allow the community to gain a bigger and unified voice in the Navy, something that has long been lacking. Maybe they will even get a Wing like the TACAMO guys :icon_smil .

Kolja

Git-r-done
Brett327 said:
That's just 6 more P-3s to knock the short field gear out of battery. :eek:

Brett

To say nothing of the parking on that damn base... by the time they finished that stupid second fence it took me longer to walk from where I parked to the hanger than it did to drive from my house to the gate.