• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP vs VQ?

Flugelman

Contributor
Especially when you send them post cards from the 5 star hotel talking about beer, perdiem and local talent while they are on the boat...

Heh... Back in the day we never got the per diem, (sometimes $1.10 a day for the E's) but the beer and local talent were awesome. Never missed spending one day on the boat.:icon_tong

I'm glad to hear that ASW is still the focus of VP mission, although I don't think the P-8 will be as effective at sub-surface prosecution as the P-3.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm glad to hear that ASW is still the focus of VP mission, although I don't think the P-8 will be as effective at sub-surface prosecution as the P-3.

It'll be interesting. On the one hand, the P-8 is banking on a lot of new and/or different technology to make it work (e.g. GPS buoys, expendable MAD UAVs, BAMS, in flight refueling). On the other hand, the P-3 is getting to the point in its life cycle where the aircraft itself is actually impeding mission accomplishment.

Flugelman

Contributor
It'll be interesting. On the one hand, the P-8 is banking on a lot of new and/or different technology to make it work (e.g. GPS buoys, expendable MAD UAVs, BAMS, in flight refueling). On the other hand, the P-3 is getting to the point in its life cycle where the aircraft itself is actually impeding mission accomplishment.

All good points, but the technology (expendable MAD UAVs, BAMS) I am guessing is still unproven and the inflight refueling makes little sense to me. In my experience any prosecution takes place in a relatively small area. Why not just send another fresh asset to prosecute. If the P-8 has to break off and take time to refuel the contact can disappear while the fresh asset can do a hot swap and maintain contact. The P-3 airframe is a proven commodity, why not continue to manufacture it? I know, politics play a large part in those decisions. I'm wondering if there was ever any consideration of going with new airframes?

Oh well, this stuff is way above this old guy's paygrade. Sorry for the threadjack. Back to normal programming...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So last I heard the inflight refueling was gone.

Don't tease us like that... next thing you know there will be rumors of two hooters girls doing the in flight cooking and cleaning services instead of one.