• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP and their misunderstanding of the word "preflight"

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
My point exactly. In the Hornet its an MPCD. Multi-purpose COLOR Display.

All legacy Hornets as well as early lot Rhinos have 8mm tapes. Luckily, they are not Marconis. Newer Rhinos have this cool digital thing called an RMM than plugs via USB into a computer. The worst part is that if you are tall or have long arms you will 'bout break your elbow on the "elbow cam" every time you fly.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
True that. :)

How's life in the RAG treatin ya?

My point exactly. In the Hornet its an MPCD. Multi-purpose COLOR Display.

All legacy Hornets as well as early lot Rhinos have 8mm tapes. Luckily, they are not Marconis. Newer Rhinos have this cool digital thing called an RMM than plugs via USB into a computer. The worst part is that if you are tall or have long arms you will 'bout break your elbow on the "elbow cam" every time you fly.

That's BLASPHEMY! If ADP sees us with any type of USB cord within 5 feet of a computer they stop us with a running tackle.... too bad, since USB happens to be the most convenient data-transfer method currently...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
That's BLASPHEMY! If ADP sees us with any type of USB cord within 5 feet of a computer they stop us with a running tackle.... too bad, since USB happens to be the most convenient data-transfer method currently...

It's not blasphemy if you are a Rhino guy. We had to fight for a waiver just to be able to record our flights after the usb thing dropped.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You need to see the Marconi VTR in the Goshawk. Yeah, I'm convinced that it's been around a lot longer than a consumer VCR (like Marconi himself had one), but broadcast grade it is not.

The day is coming when companies stop making 8mm tape. Are there fleet aircraft that still use tapes? I've heard that a lot of aircraft have moved over to solid state memory in place of tapes.

Yeah, I'm guessing broadcast gear would be in something more high-end...and probably Air Force. The legacy Seahawks still use 1/2" VHS since it's integrated into the FLIR kit. Not sure about the S/R.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, I'm guessing broadcast gear would be in something more high-end...and probably Air Force. The legacy Seahawks still use 1/2" VHS since it's integrated into the FLIR kit. Not sure about the S/R.

DVR with a removable HD for 60S.

KBayDog

We record everything in our minds and commit events to our (selective) memories.

It's like playing with an imaginary friend, but better.

magnetfreezer

Most places I've seen use standalone computers for debrief thereby negating the USB/firewire/whatever ruling. You'll probably be fine since debrief recording isn't as necessary if your platform doesn't need tactics.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Especially for viruses!

phrogpilot73

Especially for viruses!
Not if you manage your network/computer efficiently. NCMI does a horrible job. Let's see, an operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft and last I checked - outdated virus definitions on my work desktop (that I can't update, only NMCI can). Yup. It's the USB drive's fault.

brownshoe

Contributor
Heh... In the B's the radio operator did it with a quill pen...:icon_tong

BTW...How was it done on a P2, Flug!?:) (C'mon, you know. Tell us.:))

Like A4s says... fifteen minutes or so was all it took on an A4. A little grease (maybe) from the aft hell hole, some yankin’, pullin’, tuggin’, a treacherous trip up the starboard wing, and it was all over.:icon_wink

Steve

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Not if you manage your network/computer efficiently. NMCI does a horrible job.

True statement.

And now, threadjack time!

NMCI once had a clever Super Bowl commercial. No, really. The herding cats one from 2000/XXXIV was by EDS, the company that got the NMCI contract. (Looking up the details, it seems the commercial predated the NMCI contract by several months, buy hey...)

/threadjack

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not if you manage your network/computer efficiently. NCMI does a horrible job. Let's see, an operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft and last I checked - outdated virus definitions on my work desktop (that I can't update, only NMCI can). Yup. It's the USB drive's fault.

While I would love to trash NMCI any chance I get, I was not actually referring to it but other instances where viruses made it into systems due to poor practices by those utilizing the systems. And in many of those cases people using USB drives were directly at fault.