• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Test

navy_or_bust

So I went to MEPS today and did better than I expected for my distance visual acuity. At first this sounds good but it actually worries me. I was pro-rec for both pilot and NFO, my vision a MEPS was Left 30/40 right 40/20. The reason I think I did better than I expected was because it was a machine I looked through to test my vision, which allowed me to squint. So, my question is, do you always use a machine to test your vision, or has anyone ever used a wall chart recently? Second, my other concern is that if I take my pilot slot, then fail my flight physical later that they will not offer me a spot as an NFO. From personal experience how many people have seen pilots not get offered NFO position when their eyesight is not good enough?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Your post makes no sense.

Your vision (according to what you posted) is 20/27 (what you posted as 30/40) or 20/10 (40/20).

Either you screwed up the ratios or your vision is fine.

In case you are completely clueless (it seems you are), the first number (typically 20) is the distance at which you view an eye chart. The second number is the line that you can make out and read at that distance. If you read the 20/20 line, then you have normal vision.

IE: 20/40 means you see at 20ft what normal people can see at 40ft.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
IE: 20/40 means you see at 40ft what normal people can see at 20ft.

Other way around. 20/40 means you can see at 20 feet what "normal" can see at 40 feet. 20/15 meant you can see at 20 ft what "normal" can see at 15 feet.

The higher the second number, the worse your vision is.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I think that Bogey_spotter is right.

I am not sure where 20/27 comes from (a typo maybe?), but the rest of his post actually seems correct.

See [URL]http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/healthyvision.php[/URL]

Nope, The Bubba is right.

from the article you just posted...

20/20 is commonly used for a pilot’s license and 20/40 for a driver’s license, 20/80 may be used for special educational assistance and 20/200 for tax benefits in the U.S.A.

The notation of visual acuity is written as a fraction, with normal vision being 20/20 (twenty twenty vision). At a 20 foot distance, (the top number in the fraction, or testing distance), a person with normal vision should be able to read the small 20/20 line on an eye chart. The smallest line that you can read on the chart is your visual acuity.
If larger lines than the 20/20 line are all that can be read, the visual acuity may be 20/30, 20/60, etc.

The larger the second number is, the worse is the vision. A person with 20/200 vision would have to come up to 20 feet to see a letter that a person with normal vision could see at 200 feet! Similarly, if the vision is 20/10, it means that the vision is better than normal.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy has like 20/5...his eyes are like telescopes and microscopes combined.

poppin.jpg

navy_or_bust

sorry i messed up the ratio 20/30 and 20/40. Back to the reason i started this post. What is the common way to check distance visual acuity, with a wall chart or using the machine? How many people have you guys seen that were slotted for pilot fail the vision portion of the flight physical and not get offered a slot as an NFO

mgreen121774

Nope, The Bubba is right.

from the article you just posted...

Yes, he is....mostly. Sorry to be knit-picky, but I am compelled to point out that where he was wrong was a single line -

"Other way around. 20/40 means you can see at 20 feet what "normal" can see at 40 feet. 20/15 meant you can see at 20 ft what "normal" can see at 15 feet."

Bogey_Spotter had it right as his meaning would have read,

"Other way around. 20/40 means "normal" can see at 20 feet what you can see at 40 feet. 20/15 meant "normal" can see at 20 ft what you can see at 15 feet."

Bubba's last line, "The higher the second number, the worse your vision is", reflects the truth, but he misspoke the preceding line. He was actually saying that a 20/20 person sees at 40 feet what one with 20/40 can see at 20. Should be how Bogey_spotter said it.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Bogey_Spotter had it right as his meaning would have read,

"Other way around. 20/40 means "normal" can see at 20 feet what you can see at 40 feet. 20/15 meant "normal" can see at 20 ft what you can see at 15 feet."

Not to beat this into the ground, but that^ is wrong. 20/40 means you see at 20 feet what normal people see at 40 feet, meaning you have to stand closer to see it, meaning your vision is poorer.

I know I sound like a dick (not trying to), and I know we aren't answering your question, Navy or Bust, but everything Bubba said was correct.

That being said, according to the sight requirements on THIS SITE, the only requirements I see that are different between SNA and NFO are that NFO's don't require depth perception and that NFO's can be corrected to 20/20, without a max uncorrected prior to the surgery, i.e. Pilot requires a max of 20/40 correctable to 20/20.

...hope that helps somehow.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Whether the wording was right or not, you want a smaller second number. Horse dead, sufficiently beaten.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Other way around. 20/40 means you can see at 20 feet what "normal" can see at 40 feet. 20/15 meant you can see at 20 ft what "normal" can see at 15 feet.

The higher the second number, the worse your vision is.

You are correct. My apologies. I corrected my post. I was drunk when I made it, excuse me. :icon_tong

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Once you get down here, if you bomb your NAMI eye test (the one that counts), you should not have a problem signing over to NFO. I've heard of it happening in the last few months, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple members on this board who did the same thing. It is likely that you will read worse on your test down here (I did, most everyone I know did as well), but 20/40 is pretty easy to do. I wouldn't stress over this.....you can even do some of the eye exercises listed in the PRK forum in the meantime if it makes you feel better. Take the pilot slot, I know that's what you really want so by all means DO IT!

mgreen121774

Yeah, I was wrong too. Unlike Bogey-spotter, I was sober, but had the same reverse-logic syndrome going. I apologize to the dead horse.

Trey

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I just had a physical a month ago and we used wall charts for distance and machines for close up. A flip book for color vision, and a machine for depth perception.