• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision requirements throughout Aviator career

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabttu

As a Naval Aviator, is it required that your vision stay at 20/40 uncorrected throughout your career to be eligible to fly? Or is the 20/40 requirement only for being accepted into the training program and then afterwards your eyes could go to 20/200 but you're eligible as long as they're correctable to 20/20? Thanks for any info!

Kevin

Brodie143

I think once you are in you are golden, but if you do where contacts when you fly you have to have eye glasses with you as well. A couple of pilots in my previous command whore contacts and one I know is now past the 20/40, but not much.

As for going to 20/200 from 20/40 that is a drastic change and you should be looked at. I get what you are saying though. I think as long as you don't go to far out of limits you are OK. If you start going get your eyes shot. If you got them shot go again.

beau

A friend of mine who graduated from OU when I got there in 99 is now flying F-14s in VF-101. His vision was good when he when through API, but now he requires Glasses to fly. So make the cut, then you should be fine, unless it is Drastic like Brodie pointed out!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Rainman

pilot
Once you make it past your API physical with 20/40 you are golden to at least 20/100. This is written in the NAMI rules. . Really applies to fleet aviators (three classes 20/100 20/200 20/400 (flight docs?) ) Then there is a caveat that says something to the effect that SNAs in the pipeline are considered fleet aviators. . blah blah blah. .

I just had my five year long form and passed with "flying" colors with 20/60. Contacts are preferred at least here @ Meridian. I was under the impression you only needed the 'backup' glasses if you are over 20/100 . . I haven't heard anything about that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I started the flight program in late 93 with 20/20. Before the PRK in January, I was 20/80. One of my recent students was something like 20/150 (winged aviator). Usually, as long as you remain correctable to 20/20 with glasses, there shouldn't be a problem.

kabttu

Thanks for all the responses. I finally found the info on the NOMI site too. Pretty much what I figured, just getting past the initial hurdle is the hard part I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.