• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Viking vs Grumman prop birds: how to count & evaluate traps?

Python

pilot
Contributor
Wait, is that for COD? You mean copilot usually has no credit??

Pilot actually flying the E-2: gets credit (logs) for the trap

Pilot actually flying the COD: gets credit (logs) for the trap

Pilot that isn't physically flying he E-2: does not get credit (log) for the trap

Pilot that isn't physically flying the COD: does not get credit (log) for the trap

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Thanks. Maybe there were the cases when Viking NFO COTAC has landed the airplane, given the full set of controls in his hands? Suppose some senior NA officers or even Admirals have sometimes occupied the right seat just to evaluate the pilot in the left seat...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Yes, all aircrew except the co-pilot will log a trap in the E-2. Any NFO who brags about (or really even knows how many traps they have) will be ridiculed.

You know they exist, though... Always pissed me off as a helo guy when an NFO would tell me how hard landing on a boat is in a kind of snooty way... "Cool man."

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
As if the helo landing on a smallboy in heavy seas is just a piece of cake... BTW, has the average 60' some restrictions of weight or weapon aboard for such landing? I've been told our KAs have - KA-32 even can dump some fuel.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You don't have to be a helo guy to get pissed off at that.

Glad you say that. I just think of the time when my buddy had an out an in to Jack Edwards and a SNFO watched him land from the porch there and he admittedly touched down a bit hard. When my buddy walked inside, the SNFO said something to the effect of "wow man, rough landing, mine was a lot smoother," to which my buddy responded "oh, you did the landing? Or, did you coach your IP on how to do the landing? You realize those a different, right?" Said IP just sat back and laughed a little.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As if the helo landing on a smallboy in heavy seas is just a piece of cake... BTW, has the average 60' some restrictions of weight or weapon aboard for such landing? I've been told our KAs have - KA-32 even can dump some fuel.

Weight is an issue as far as power goes, but if you can take off, chances are you'll be able to land since you'll already have less gas than what you started with. On the older (original) -60Bs, there was an issue with ordnance due to the angle of the wing on the fuselage, but that was fixed quickly and only 4 of those airframes made it to the fleet. I've flown one of them all the way to the depot where it was supposed have the wing fixed, but eventually they just scrapped the airframe (after Sikorsky lost it...no kidding...for about a year).

Glad you say that. I just think of the time when my buddy had an out an in to Jack Edwards and a SNFO watched him land from the porch there and he admittedly touched down a bit hard. When my buddy walked inside, the SNFO said something to the effect of "wow man, rough landing, mine was a lot smoother," to which my buddy responded "oh, you did the landing? Or, did you coach your IP on how to do the landing? You realize those a different, right?" Said IP just sat back and laughed a little.

Coming back from an over-night on my HT solo cross-country with a buddy of mine (we pooled our solo cross-countries for two legs down and two legs back), we landed at TLH to get gas. After we got the gas, we walked into the FBO to get the keys to the car and an IP and SNFO were standing inside. After we both came in, the SNFO asked where our IP was. We just smiled and said we didn't have one. His exasperation was evident (and his IP chuckled).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh those silly NFOs! Good thing you badass pilots are around to keep us in line and keep us from getting too full of ourselves. What would we do without such heroes? Thank you, guys. I really mean that.

luwiybqmbfpasiy.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh those silly NFOs! Good thing you badass pilots are around to keep us in line and keep us from getting too full of ourselves. What would we do without such heroes? Thank you, guys. I really mean that.

Oh relax. We're not knocking NFOs. We're mocking SNFOs, who should be mocked, but only slightly more than SNAs.