• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of long anticipated Russian-Indian 5th Gen fighter

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't dismiss this aircraft out of hand, the same company did design the Flanker just a few short years ago. There is a lot riding on this aircraft with the Russians and sooner or later it will be a proliferation concern. The "box" may matter little but it sure helps.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True. And that's two "that's what she said" moments for me today. I'm just going to shut up and color now . . .

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not concerned about the Russian-built ones. Now, when the Indians get ahold of it and put in their avionics and a driver who knows what he's dong...now ya got something.

Does look like the product of a drunken night between a Flanker and a YF-23.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It will likely be a boogeyman referenced by many a member of the military-industrial complex.

Those who buy it, well, it's kind of like buying Arizona jeans instead of Levis. Not quite the real deal.

yak52driver

Contributor
I'm curious how many Russia's military can actually afford to purchase. The F-22 program has had its own issues with budgetary constraints, I would imagine Russia's military faces bigger issues along those lines.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The sticker prices of most Russian aircraft, even the wonder weapons we are supposed to fear, are far less than Western ones. I always wonder whether this is a function of quality or of market reputation. Aren't "cost-plus" contracts only supposed to give a 10% profit margin?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The Russkies will have a hard time fielding this in #s....heres a comparison of the planforms...
35873.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The sticker prices of most Russian aircraft, even the wonder weapons we are supposed to fear, are far less than Western ones. I always wonder whether this is a function of quality or of market reputation. Aren't "cost-plus" contracts only supposed to give a 10% profit margin?

It's not really the profit margin that drives up prices (or keeps them low), it's predominantly the labor rate as well as how much Goverment subsidizes the industry either in nonrecurring engineering or other cost avoidance against the unit price.

yak52driver

Contributor
The Russkies will have a hard time fielding this in #s....heres a comparison of the planforms...
35873.jpg

Interesting viewing the planform of each aircraft that way. Are they the same scales? If so, the F-35 apprears to be a fair amount smaller.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Or, the F-22 is just giant / Flanker-sized? (48 ft. span by 72 ft. long; 667 sq. ft. wing area; says wiki)

EDIT: that's funny, looked up the T-50 wing area; about the same as an F-22, but the length and span are similar to the Flanker. Must be some aero-engineering phenomenon that makes gargantuan wings useful. Or it could just be the shape...

SkywardET

Contrarian
Or, the F-22 is just giant / Flanker-sized? (48 ft. span by 72 ft. long; 667 sq. ft. wing area; says wiki)

EDIT: that's funny, looked up the T-50 wing area; about the same as an F-22, but the length and span are similar to the Flanker. Must be some aero-engineering phenomenon that makes gargantuan wings useful. Or it could just be the shape...
Yay, someone mentioned aero-engineering!

The basic equation for lift is: L = (CL)*q*S, where CL is the finite-wing lift coefficient (determined by your alpha, NACA wing shape, and aspect ratio), q is the dynamic pressure (which is in turn equal to 0.5*rho*V^2, where rho is the air density and V is the velocity), and S is the wing planform area.

So the short student engineer answer is that a larger wing area gives you more potential lift (but also more drag). That is unsurprising though.