• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vibram Five Fingers

beaverslayer

pilot
So I have been hearing about these for the past few months, and they finally got me curious enough to do some research today. Apparently they are much easier on your knees and back when running, and also force better posture when walking or standing. I've talked to a few people who own them, and use them for a ton of different activities--I have heard marathon running, hiking, rock climbing, every water sport you can think of, and crossfit style workouts--and they all swear by them. I literally have not heard one negative thing said about them by someone who owns a pair, aside from looking really really gay. Has anyone on here actually tried them? Any thoughts?

beaverslayer

pilot
Wow... I'm sorry about that. I did several searches, but apparently I'm incompetent with the search engine. My apologies. Mods could one of you delete this thread for me? I don't want to clutter things up. Or, you could leave it up and let everyone dogpile on me for being a moron. That would be fun too. :)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
No need to close it. This isn't a topic that a reasonable person would expect to find on here, so the "Did you search?" criterion doesn't really apply. I just happened to remember reading about them. It's a good place to rehash the topic given that it has been 5 months since it was last discussed.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I got a set of the KSO Treks. I run trails in them, which they are great for. It took a while to get used to, and I still don't like to wear them while running on pavement, but anything other than pavement and it's a pretty cool sensation of running...kind of the way our bodies were meant to run, ya know?

I also feel like Uncas (from last of the mohicans) when I'm wearing them and running on the trails, so that's cool too.

beaverslayer

pilot
it's a pretty cool sensation of running...kind of the way our bodies were meant to run, ya know?

This is exactly what I keep reading... makes me really want a pair. How quickly do they wear out? I mean, for the amount they cost I'm hoping to get more than just a few months out of them. I don't run crazy amounts (maybe 15-20 miles per week tops). Have yours handled regular use pretty well?

Got em, love em. Take it easy at first

A little extra reading:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60Q6FA20100127

Great article--it was really informative. It also linked to another site with some great information. Thanks for the link!

Triumph57

I literally just got mine today. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but this past summer I started running barefoot using the pose/chi running method. Using this method, I was able to decrease my run times, increase my running distance and rid myself of calf injuries I got while running in heavily padded shoes. There was a break-in period where I ran out of breath quickly and got huge blisters but after that it was smooth sailing.

Since the winter set in I haven't run barefoot because it is too cold. I have been trying to run the pose/chi method in conventional shoes but it isn't the same. Between the need to wear shoes and the cold weather, I haven't run nearly as much as I did during the summer and I'm not in the same cardiovascular shape I was. I hope the Vibrams will correct this and I will report back my experience.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The KSO's are great. . .for running and working out in.

Don't be that guy who wears them with jeans to shop at the exchange or party in Waikiki.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
They have a sign posted at our gym saying no "open" shoes. Under that they have a picture of a pair of Five Fingers. I'm pretty sure they're just referring to the Classics whereas KSO's would be okay. Anyone else have a gym with a similar policy?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Just a little > < bit too different for this old fart......As big as my feet are I could already hear comments about where the rest of my gorilla costume is.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is exactly what I keep reading... makes me really want a pair. How quickly do they wear out? I mean, for the amount they cost I'm hoping to get more than just a few months out of them. I don't run crazy amounts (maybe 15-20 miles per week tops). Have yours handled regular use pretty well?

Great article--it was really informative. It also linked to another site with some great information. Thanks for the link!

When I was home I put about 15 miles on them a week, and I had them for 5ish months. They stood up fine. The soles are tough, and there's no padding to break down, so you take one more thing out of the wear and tear cycle. Mine are just as good as they were when they were new. I didn't bring them with me on deployment, so I'm back to running on a treadmill in my asics. Eh.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I have KSOs and really like them. Of the people I know with them, I have not heard anything negative at all. I have no complaints either, just take it easy if you haven't run in them for a while.