• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA or VAQ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
beeps and squeaks noises
In some cases, knowing what different systems sound like can help the operator instantly ID a signal when the aircraft system is struggling to resolve an ambiguity. That can mean the difference between the timely employment of your weapon system vs. the SAM operator’s employment of theirs.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Not trying to be mean, but this comment is really off point I feel.

End state, some squadrons are great, some are crappy, it has nothing to do with whether NFOs are part of it or not. 2 seat life has it's bonuses, same number of jobs, twice as many people, twice as much money for admins in port, always someone to hang out with on the boat, a sense of 1+1 equaling something more than 1 in the cockpit, etc.

I've seen great single seat squadrons, I've seen absolutely horrible Growler squadrons. It has nothing to do with the platform and everything to do with the people top to bottom, officer and enlisted....
No argument and definitely not being mean. Like I said, all anecdotal. I do feel that NFOs are better off in the VAQ community, but that's one non-NFO's perspective.

@Brett327 I agree, but having a bunch of pre-RAG students taking that course seems like a waste. Now if they have put AVEWS during the EA phase at the RAG or scheduled it more intelligently, then there is value to the program.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Now if they have put AVEWS during the EA phase at the RAG or scheduled it more intelligently, then there is value to the program.
When I left my instructor tour at the FRS in 2018 AVEWS was broken up into two parts: Part 1 was primarily radar theory and was completed pre-FAMS. Part 2 introduced more missionized EW concepts and was completed as part of the EA Phase ground school.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
When I left my instructor tour at the FRS in 2018 AVEWS was broken up into two parts: Part 1 was primarily radar theory and was completed pre-FAMS. Part 2 introduced more missionized EW concepts and was completed as part of the EA Phase ground school.
Ahh then my comments are OBE. Good to hear.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen great single seat squadrons, I've seen absolutely horrible Growler squadrons. It has nothing to do with the platform and everything to do with the people top to bottom, officer and enlisted....
And it can change drastically in the span of a tour, in either direction, as folks rotate in and out. Showed up to what was a great squadron, and like 2 years later on cruise, I'm listening to a roommate in the JO Jungle basically say "this has turned into the squadron I hoped I wouldn't get out of the RAG."

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
And it can change drastically in the span of a tour, in either direction, as folks rotate in and out. Showed up to what was a great squadron, and like 2 years later on cruise, I'm listening to a roommate in the JO Jungle basically say "this has turned into the squadron I hoped I wouldn't get out of the RAG."
When it's been 9 years and I can't remember if I'm the one who said that:
dd0.png

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This is all anecdotal, but VFA double anchor life doesn't seem great. Single seat squadrons always seemed to have a better culture than two seat squadrons. And the fact that there is a single seat version of the jet you fly doesn't seem reassuring either. NFOs are respected in VAQ and I feel like the community culture is just better.

I think your aperture is small on this. Squadron culture is like lightning in a bottle. It ebbs and flows with leadership, DH, JOPA, and optempo.

Except VP. Those cats are just weird.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stand by to see @ea6bflyr @Flash and @Brett327 triggered
Why would any of us be triggered by that? ??‍♂️

As an EP-3 guy, I am triggered! ;)

After getting to my my EP-3 squadron I soon realized how useless most of it was, especially when we had enlisted guys listening to the beeps and squeaks and not us. Glad to hear it sounds like they made the course better, 20 years later.

As for beeps and squeaks, it reminds me of what remains the best movie scene about EW:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an EP-3 guy, I am triggered! ;)

After getting to my my EP-3 squadron I soon realized how useless most of it was, especially when we had enlisted guys listening to the beeps and squeaks and not us. Glad to hear it sounds like they made the course better, 20 years later.

As for beeps and squeaks, it reminds me of what remains the best movie scene about EW:

In the backseat of the mighty station wagon of electronic armageddon, it was hook, slew, listen. Had to know the beeps and squeaks. JAVEWS was just an intro to signals...we really learned what we needed to know throughout workups and on deployment.

red_ryder

None
Memorizing parametrics was not all that useful. Listening to radars from different modes and functions was very useful in understanding emitters and ambiguity...but that part can be taught in 2 weeks, we really didn't need 6 weeks or a few months of it.