• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA-103 bones

Lobster

I remember watching things like that as a kid, my Dad was in VFA-15 and they had a couple flags that were taken by the guys from their sister squadron 86. They sent a ransom tape and everything...pretty funny stuff...the poor LTJG who lost track of the flags though

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The ransom note was missing "No funny stuff".

G-d help the poor sonofabitch who was supposed to be looking after Jack Ernie. I remember them handcuffing the case to the guy's wrist when they went on liberty, for cryin' out loud.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
When we moved from Cecil to Jax, we were next to VP-something or another "Mad Foxes" that hung this obnoxious flag in the corridor. So we took it and flew with it during work-ups until it had 100 traps and then gave it back in a dedication (welcome to carrier aviation and such) ceremony with the newly added centurion patch!:D

Fred

VFA 83 JO’s stole the bones back in early 2004. In an attempt to get them back the 103 JO’s kidnapped the Ram XO the afternoon prior to the change of command. They then played a cat and mouse game into the wee hours of the morning. It resulted in a very bruised XO who had raw wrists from duct tape. Some pissed off Rampager JO’s who were tired of the shenanigans tossed several 103 coins into the Ocean. It started off really funny, but went out of control.

The Jolly Roger JO's stood off to the side wearing flight suits, and guarding the bones during the entire 83 COC ceremony the next morning.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I've got a picture of Mumbles sitting next to Jack Ernies bones in 1978. I'll see if I can scan it.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
VFA 83 JO’s stole the bones back in early 2004. In an attempt to get them back the 103 JO’s kidnapped the Ram XO the afternoon prior to the change of command. They then played a cat and mouse game into the wee hours of the morning. It resulted in a very bruised XO who had raw wrists from duct tape. Some pissed off Rampager JO’s who were tired of the shenanigans tossed several 103 coins into the Ocean. It started off really funny, but went out of control.

The Jolly Roger JO's stood off to the side wearing flight suits, and guarding the bones during the entire 83 COC ceremony the next morning.

Jesus Christ. Talk about funny shit taken way over the line.

Flugelman

Contributor
VP-6's mascot Blue Shark (mounted fish) was stolen from Ready Room at the start of deployment to Cubi Point in '76. JO's from VP-17, IIRC, were responsible. The Chief from 1st LT division had the responsibility for the safekeeping and caught a ton of sh!t from head office and Dept Heads. I kinda felt sorry for him and at the same time was glad I wasn't in his shoes. :eek:

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Some of the Prowler guys can embellish on the story, but in the early 90s one of the Whidbey squadrons had some sort of stuffed mascot. One of the other squadrons stole it and took it on cruise with them. Almost every week there was a picture in the base newspaper of the mascot with his "new best friends" in the new squadron. The captions were written in the first person by the mascot and detailed how his new squadron was taking very good care of him and that they were taking him to great places such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia (complete with pictures of the mascot in front of famous places)... and how it would be hard it would be to return to his old squadron. It was very well done and with a lot of class.
The competition for the Mutha at Miramar got pretty cutthroat sometimes. I never was involved with that stuff, but heard stories...

skillz

I'm just an enlisted guy....but why does this shit get taken so seriously sometimes??!! Its so funny, good for morale, and honestly its a good time (it seems)...Somebody above my pay grade please explain to me why people get so bent out of shape over this prank shit?

I was talking to my Senior Chief about this 103 incident and he told me a story about when he was in 105 and him and his shop stole 37's "Bull Head"...well apparently "his" command didn't think it was funny and he actually went to XOI for it...the only reason he didn't go to mast was because VFA-37's CO called 105's CO and stopped his cruxifiction. Whats the deal? Its all in good fun, so why do people get ass puckered over dumb ass competition pranks that have been going on for years? My Senior Chief said that the problem was that he was enlisted....and that one on one everyone up and down the chain would tell him how funny and awesome it was but as soon as it was in public around other khakis, they would lay the pipe to him. Whats the deal?