• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very confused.

justfly

hm where do I start? Basically I was planning on doing AFROTC at ERAU this fall but I decided that I think the Marines would be a better option for me because of the "guarenteed flight contract" or whatever its called and I really have a tough time with standardized tests and I know I would blow on the AFOQT (plus I would rather end up a soldier then at desk if I cant fly). Plus everyone in the Air Force ROTC wants to be a pilot. My question is what are the steps to getting into NROTC and doing PLC? Unfortunately I heard you need at least a 20 or 22 minimum on the ACTs to be consiedered and I only got a 19. Am I out of luck? How do I apply/who do I contact? Has anyone gone through the program at ERAU and what was the experience like? Lastly, I am by no means an astronaut. I usually only pull off around a 2.5-2.8 gpa (sometimes less) while in basic classes. Realistically is this dream of becoming a Marine Corp pilot out of reach for me? Please be honest.

snake020

Contributor
blah blah blah...I really have a tough time with standardized tests and I know I would blow on the AFOQT

You're going to have to take the ASTB to be a Marine or Navy pilot, and IMO (I've taken both) it's more difficult than the AFOQT.

SMILE4BULLETS

as a graduate of an NROTC program, I can tell you that a 2.5 GPA is sub-standard. it may even land you on academic warning/probation/LOA (possibly). also, with those grades, you will not be very competitive as far as being selected for a Marine Option scholarship. If you had about a 3.3 GPA and a badass PFT score, you'd be competitive. Otherwise, I'd say load up on easy classes and PT...and you might have a shot. on the other hand, if you wanted to go Navy, then you're going to be staring Calculus and Physics in the face...which, for some, can be challenging. however, if it's your dream, dont let PT or academics stand in your way....just keep your nose to the grindstone and make it happen.

Lonestar155

is good to go
As far as the ASTB goes, I believe the standards of the Marine Corps is a little higher than those of the Navy's. So do not just scratch out Navy.

justfly

If I where to choose the Marines and do everything to get my grades up..is there even any way for me to get into it considering I busted my ACTs only recieving a 19 on them?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If I where to choose the Marines and do everything to get my grades up..is there even any way for me to get into it considering I busted my ACTs only recieving a 19 on them?

We cant answer that ... only your OSO or a board can. Good luck.

A.Kuettel

I am not a 100% on this but I seem to remember my gunny telling me that if you don't score the minimum they want on the ACT (I want to say it is a composite of your english and math.) than you take the asvab and have to score a certain score. Also i have met guys with 2.5 gpa's that had air slots and were plc. But like the above said, the only real way you can know is by contacting your OSO.

Mitch

disease free
I recommend first deciding whether you want to be a Marine. Do some research (OSO, Marine Officer Instructor at your NROTC, search function on this forum). If so, then decide which accession program is best for you (PLC and NROTC are not the same thing). If you want to be a Marine, there is a way for you to achieve that goal. If you have the opportunity to get a flight contract, even better. But don't pursue the Marines solely as a means of learning to fly. You'll be miserable. There are lots of great opportunities in the other services that do not require you to do the things the Marines do before flight school (namely OCS and The Basic School). For what it's worth, once you get in most Marines don't give a sh!t whether you were PLC, NROTC, USNA, etc. or what you got on your ACT/SATs. Your best bet is to get in touch with your local Officer Selection Officer (OSO) or the Marine Officer Instructor (MOI) on a local campus. PM me if you have specific questions. If you want it, just go for it.

Mitch

LoneSailor

Have you tried taking the SATs? I know that some people do better on one test than the other, I know I did. My score were comparable to yours, but then again I studied for only a week and some odd days. I don't know how much time you put into studying for the ACT, but if you're serious about this goal, then I suggest taking at the least a month to study (and I mean really study) for the SAT/ACT.

I took about a month to study for Math and a month for English before I took the SAT, and it showed in my scores. I used interactive cd-roms and books from KAPLAN to study, I'd also suggest you look them up at your local bookstore.

Keep whacking away at it and don't give up.

Good luck.

USMC_NA

hmm....last time I checked guys were becoming marine officers to be marine officers. you would probably want to choose another branch if your only motivation is to become a pilot

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
hmm....last time I checked guys were becoming marine officers to be marine officers. you would probably want to choose another branch if your only motivation is to become a pilot
Actually I've known quite a few pilots and NFOs that wanted to fly and went with the Marines because they were the service that gave them the aviation contract. I've known many Navy guys who ended up in the Navy for that same reason too.

It's true that once you are commissioned, you are an officer (or Marine) first and a pilot/NFO second. But the Marines also recognize that for many applicants, the desire to fly is more important then which branch of the military. They also recognize there are many that want only to be a Marine aviator and would not join if they had to service in another specialty. If the Marines didn't accept these two facts, they wouldn't offer aviation guarantees before the applicant signed on the dotted line.

So did you have an aviation contract or did you pick up your slot at TBS?

BTW - I know your profile says SNA / USMC and you're talking tough about being a Marine .....but I have never met a really motivated Marine officer who failed to capitalize Marine.

USMC_NA

i was unsure what i wanted to do after OCS (was ground). i just knew i wanted back in the fire support community and the marine corps is the only branch i would ever be in. after some research i realized that arty was more personell management than operating a weapon system and infantry would only take me a couple years before they threw me into some S-2 or 3 job behind a desk. Tanks was my second choice. But in the end i quicky realized aviators were not only the kings of fire support, but were also trigger pullers, so I picked up an air slot just before going to TBS. and BTW, i'm really not trying to talk tough. i think most marine officers really believe they are a marine officer first. at least i do. if you don't believe that, well no offense, but i don't really care. and i forget to capitalize just about everything on blog forums (i guess my english professors would be upset).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i think most marine officers really believe they are a marine officer first. at least i do. if you don't believe that, well no offense, but i don't really care.

This is more than your belief, it is what the Marine Corps expects and espouses so as others have said recently, understanding that is important to anyone thinking about going Marine especially to get an air guarantee. You will be decidedly unhappy if you don't embrace being a leader of Marines first and foremost. Marines don't talk about this, they live it.

MasterHaynes86

Marine officer first, aviator second. I know a LtCol that was put on the ground for a deployment in Iraq. You do what the Marines need of you. If you go in with that mentality, what you are doing wont matter as much as WHAT you are doing. I'm tired and might not be making sense. I'm a PLC Aviation guarenteed contract and if the Marines want me on the ground then OORAH I'm on the ground

Contact and OSO and be the most motivated applicant he has ever seen and he will help you get where you want/need to be