• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VANCE - Facts about Primary?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The Vance pattern wasn't rocket surgery...

In the big scheme of things it doesn't sound much harder to wrap your brain around than CV, LHA/LHD, or "air capable ship" patterns, go figure... and when you take the Navy Primary pattern and add the delta pattern (which you might actually do), PPEL(P), all the other alphabet soup, Whiting split field ops, then it's not exactly simple either.

I realize all that is small consolation to the stud pulling his hair out trying to memorize that stuff, but like you said it's really not rocket surgery.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the big scheme of things it doesn't sound much harder to wrap your brain around than CV, LHA/LHD, or "air capable ship" patterns, go figure... and when you take the Navy Primary pattern and add the delta pattern (which you might actually do), PPEL(P), all the other alphabet soup, Whiting split field ops, then it's not exactly simple either.

I realize all that is small consolation to the stud pulling his hair out trying to memorize that stuff, but like you said it's really not rocket surgery.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Add to that the zoo that is entering and flying the OLF patterns with 7 other of your closest T-34 friends on a hazy summer day while farmer Bill decides to light half of lower AL on fire. I hated being LSO on those days. You pretty much had to rely on the aircraft to clear themselves (which they can't always do) and/or kick people out of the pattern.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I fucked away a break or two (or three)...usually roll to 60, pull power, flash the boards if I was carrying a little smash, climb a hundred feet, get slow, add power, drop the nose, roll out (wide) crab in, sneak below 150 to drop flaps/gear, hit the 180 (what the AF calls the "Perch") about 1/2 mile late...low/drug-in/angling final...touch down long, but firm, and (once) blow a tire trying to make the early taxiway...all in a days work as a nugget!
Pickle

T-6Tire.jpg

Oh, and lose a case of beer and a class patch or two getting the tire.

That was you I got all those extends called for? Rolling off the perch over Waukomis? Jackass.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
60˚, 2Gs all the way down to final.

Laaaaame. Your IPs will be really impressed if you can pull off the shortfield over the numbers. Wrap it up to 89.9999, put your feet on the dash and pull the airspeed off. They love that.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Laaaaame. Your IPs will be really impressed if you can pull off the shortfield over the numbers. Wrap it up to 89.9999, put your feet on the dash and pull the airspeed off. They love that.

Oh yeah... Watch out though when you get back... You might be BLUE TAGGED! OOOOhh how scary.

You know what really pissed me off?... The recording of 'IRTs'... Effing stupid.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Actually reminds me of when I tried to land with the speed brake extended (on a no flap).... I thought hell hath frozen over.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When I reread my post I realized it was a little misleading. Its 60˚ from the break to the final turn. Then 30˚ (45˚ if needed) for final turn to final.

I got what you were saying. No more than 2g in the break, 60 degrees AOB.