• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA Medical...Should I stay or should I go?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
After 5 years, I'm struggling to find a reason to continue to partake in the VA medical system. Other than getting yearly lab draws (that no one seems to bother to follow up on without me asking), the actual usefulness, and certainly the timeliness, of the service doesn't seem to be worth the two appointments a year I have to maintain. Yes, I'm being a bit dramatic, but only to illustrate my frustration.

The main thing I'm wrestling with is how much keeping a current VA medical file helps with them not wanting to give me more attention on my existing rating. I'm under 55, so still a potential target for a rating review (and possible reduction), but my ratings aren't really for crazy things, just lots of joints that don't work well.

If I were to move to an area where the value might increase, I would have to reaffliliate at that location anyway, so not sure I'm losing anything there.

So, anyone heard of/seen/aware of possible reasons I would want to stay with them as a patient?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Only if your other coverage isn’t as good…

My personal experience with the VA has also been very discouraging.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I see a VA doctor about once every three years. If you are worried about slipping out of contact, you can do you annual appointment online by answering a few questions.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Only if your other coverage isn’t as good…

Every time I actually need something for something acute, I end up using Tricare Select to get an appointment with who I need to see in a reasonable time to see them. With the VA, everything that happens is the opposite of that last sentence.

Except podiatry. Go figure....and I need to hit them up again to get some insoles refinished.

I see a VA doctor about once every three years. If you are worried about slipping out of contact, you can do you annual appointment online by answering a few questions.

I'm not sure my VA would be able to comprehend such a thing. Maybe if I told them they weren't my PCP anymore.