• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Va Beach Neighborhoods

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
When my parents bought their first home in Green Run in 1975, it was going to be a hip new neighborhood, and it is real close to Oceana. We moved to Pensacola in 1984..... I drove through the 'hood last summer when I was visiting a buddy. What a shithole. I do remember the really nice neighborhoods in the early 80's were Lake Christopher, Kempsville area, and over by Dam Neck.

KimberlyD

Ghent in Norfolk, Towne Center in VB, AVOID Green (Gang) Run, most of Salem is bad, Kempsville is good but traffic sucks, Great Neck is definitely the best by far (you can access Shore Dr party spots) for resale & for schools but no theaters or any of that there, still nice restaurants that aren't chains. Some of the neighborhoods around Oceana are nice but you will have jet noise, some suck (Lake Placid), some are awesome & there are some clubs, new theaters, new shopping, etc over there, if you're looking for the younger crowd, go out to Sandbridge. Personally, I'm more into Ghent, my husband is into space, our compromise was living aboard NS Norfolk, 10 minutes to Ghent, 1/5 mile to his work & we have lots of space & yard plus a garage. We have kids though...

Wrigs

pilot
My wife and I just moved to Virginia Beach this week to start looking for a place to live, and heard some good things about an apartment complex called Banyan Grove. It seemed really nice from our visit today, but looking on maps of the area it appears to lie on the fringe of the Green Run area. Anyone have any experience with these apartments or know what to stay away from in Green Run?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife and I just moved to Virginia Beach this week to start looking for a place to live, and heard some good things about an apartment complex called Banyan Grove. It seemed really nice from our visit today, but looking on maps of the area it appears to lie on the fringe of the Green Run area. Anyone have any experience with these apartments or know what to stay away from in Green Run?

They're brand new construction. That whole area has been built up since 2002. It's nice around there.

Far enough away from Green Run.

KimberlyD

Banyan Grove is okay & there is another apartment complex at the corner of Independence & S. Plaza Trail that is good but crossing Independence is BAD. The Lynnhaven/Independence intersection area is also bad but further down Lynnhaven (going South) is good & further down Independence (crossing Princess Anne) is good.

Amall

Definitely try Shore Drive/Chicks Beach area. I work at NASO and pity my friends that live anywhere that requires them to get on the interstate in the morning to get to work- i.e.- Town Center, Norfolk, etc. Especially, Norfolk- driving around that base is the black hole of hell at 0600.

So...Shore Drive- lots of fun bars and local joints to eat, younger area (i.e.- mid 20s to mid 30s). Also, and this is very key come summertime, not a lot of tourists and you get the bay. Commute even on a shitty day wouldn't be over 20 min.

Other good areas are around Norfolk Ave. (9th Street) in VB...close to the beach with lots of fun there, nice condos and such. Even closer to base- 10 min max.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
If you end up living in Norfolk, particularly the Ghent area, make sure you are aware of flood zones as flooding can be pretty bad during strong storms. Really nice colonial style homes in that area though.

I used to frequent the VA beach area a lot when I lived in Norfolk and I personally would rather live in VA beach than Norfolk. It seemed to me that there are a lot of very nice neighborhoods not far from the waterfront or Oceana, although costs will likely be pretty high. Chesapeake was always really appealing to me as far as nice areas but then again you'll have 64 and 264 to deal with everyday.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I live south of Oceana and work @ NOB Norfolk. Takes about 45 minutes to get there in the am if I leave at 0550 or so. If the carriers are home, add in a lot of jam time not only on 64 and 564, but inside the base as well.

If you want to see different traffic areas, use this link.

Oceana has 2 gates open in the am. One on the south end and the main gate on the east side. There's traffic there in the morning too, but not as bad as Norfolk.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all this talk of bad traffic, I may just get a generator and park the PUMA in the student lot at the RAG.

Well, there really isn't much of a parking lot there. The Hangar would be my recommendation. Plus then I can honk every morning as I go by to make sure you're up...

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I lived at the oceanfront about 6 blocks in. I loved the restaurants that we could walk to, plus I like the beach. For shopping, we had to drive to the mall, but all the stuff at the oceanfront made it worthwhile. There are some great houses down there, but I suppose the argument could be made that sometimes there is some criminal activity in the vicinity. That being said, I don't know of a place that doesn't have some of it. My commute to Oceana was 12 minutes door to door.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
I have to put in a plug for my stomping ground.. Salem Woods.
One of few, true 'established, well maintained neighborhoods' in Virginia Beach. We've resided on this side of town for 7 of our 12 years here in Hampton Roads. It's been a central commute for my DH to NAS Norfolk and my former office in Lynnhaven. I bop down Kempsville Road to Greenbrier or Town Center/Pembroke.

If you have children in High School, that may play a factor for you.. Salem does have a great football team, and I believe? is the performing arts magnet. Not cream of the crop for VB schools, though, in terms of reputation.. Our children are elementary aged, so we have not crossed that bridge yet.

Roundhill is amazing for morning runs, by the way.

Several former clients, who are actually SEAL team guys, reside out here. Many Officer and Senior Enlisted families. Just nothing but positive things about the community. Not the cookie cutter feel that you get from Courthouse Estates and some of the other subdivisions in the $300-$400K range.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
Reading your post, I'm siding with Ghent, Chix Beach, maybe a small condo up at the North End (you may be able to pick up a new construction rental up near that area.. inventory has been fairly stagnant for some time, builders may be looking to shelve their properties if they've been on market for some time). With quick commute to Oceana, there's also some very nice condos across from new Red Mill shopping. They've been ever expanding their strip malls..I believe they've just put in an Inlet Fitness, some cafes, Wine Depot.. there's some variety there.. You'd just have to take a drive if you're into the club scene/nightlife. Probably nothing in comparison to Santa Monica, but that would offer you a quick commute to work..

Been looking at some Va Beach real estate sites and am finding plenty of info on houses. However, having never been there, I'm unsure on what neighborhoods to narrow down my searches. My wife and I are looking to live in a trendy, young, upscale community (think inner loop/Galleria area of Houston, Bethesda MD, or Santa Monica CA). A place with plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Can someone please break down for us the goods on neighborhoods in the Va Beach/Norfolk area? Not only the cool spots, but places to avoid as well. Pretty much anywhere within a 30 min commute to Oceana. Thanks so much!

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
This would have been good six months ago...

The info here would have been good to me about six month ago. Just got back home to SC after living in Sandbridge while taking a course at dam Neck. Oh well maybe next time.

Nose

pilot
YOUNG ONES READ THIS. DO NOT RENT. HOUSING PRICES ARE AT 5 YEAR LOWS. INTREST RATES ARE LOW. BUY YOUR FIRST HOUSE NOW. YOU WILL NOT EVER GET A BETTER DEAL.

Just ask anyone who bought on of those "expensive" houses on Coronado back in the 70's or 80's if they made a good decision.

This is NOT the time to rent. If you think you will be moving, buy anyway and rent the house when you move. Even if you rent for less than you mortgage, you will do well in the long run.

Nose