• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VA 163 1965 - 1967

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I found this on another site and thought one of you more experienced lads would be able to provide some insight.

Thanks

Trying to locate: John Fleetwood Vickers
Branch of Service: Navy
Unit was: Attack Squadron 163
Where served: Vietnam
When served: 3/5/1965-1/5/1967
Message is: My father John Vickers dies back in 2011 and I'm trying to track down a picture or many if I can find them of him in uniform. His basic training service picture would be ideal. 612-366-0460
Please contact: Jason Lee
Mailing address: 10503 Pierce St NE
City, State, Zip: Blaine, MN 55434
Or send email to Jason Lee using this automatic email form.
Posted: 01/23/2014

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Acoording the the VA-163 wiki, the squadron served with CVW-16 aboard the Oriskany from 1962-1968. There are several cruisebooks online with lots of pictures. Specifically, 1965, 1966, and 1967-1968. I'm certain his father would be in one of those cruisebook photos.

Additionally, Mr. Lee might want to get in contact with some of his squadronmates via the VA-163 Saints website. I'm certain some of his former squadronmates might have pictures of his dad.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Additionally, Mr. Lee might want to get in contact with some of his squadronmates via the VA-163 Saints website. I'm certain some of his former squadronmates might have pictures of his dad.
I knew several of the VA-163 Saints Pilots of that timeframe, but unfortunately, the ones I knew have passed on since Vietnam. One in an auto accident, one of illness, and another in an A-7 carrier accident (LCDR C. Vance Schufeldt) in the Med.:(

The Saints were very unlucky during Vietnam, lost more aircraft/Pilots by far, than any other Skyhawk squadron. I guess John Vickers was one of the lucky Saints that survived the war. I'm still doing some research to see if I can find a Saint Squadronmate from that era.

*BTW, I believe that was John McCain's Squadron when he was shot down. Perhaps his Son might try to write or e-mail the Senator and ask him?
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB, since his father only served three-ish years, I'm assuming his father was an enlisted guy. BTW, I looked through all the photos on the cruise book site and did not see anyone identified by that name.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think McCain was a Klansmen (I could be wrong). can't hurt to reach out to his office - (202) 224-2235.

Renegade One

None
I think McCain was a Klansmen (I could be wrong). can't hurt to reach out to his office - (202) 224-2235.
VA-163 Saints.

McCain%20Shootdown-ZalinGrant_img_7.jpg

LCDR John Sidney McCain
26. Oct.
A-4E 149959 (VA
163) struck by AAA

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, you're right. John McCain was a VA-46 'Clansmen' until the diastrous fire on FORRESTAL on 29 July 1967. As the stricken ship limped back for repairs McCain, with his logbook having only a few "green ink" flights recorded, requested transfer to another A-4 Squadron. He immediately was sent to the VA-163 Saints on ORISKANY, and was shot down almost 3 months after the fire.

Senator McCain has taken plenty of heat as a politician, but no one (other than a political opponent) could rightfully criticize his courage as a warrior, and conduct as a POW.:)
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
No, you're right. John McCain was a VA-46 'Clansmen' until the diastrous fire on FORRESTAL on 29 July 1967. As the stricken ship limped back for repairs McCain, with his logbook having only a few "green ink" flights recorded, requested transfer to another A-4 Squadron. He immediately was sent to the VA-163 Saints on ORISKANY, and was shot down almost 3 months after the fire.

Senator McCain has taken plenty of heat as a politician, but no one (other than a political opponent) could rightfully criticize his courage as a warrior, and conduct as a POW.:)
BzB
No shit!