• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 One-Engine Landing: Check

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
The linked article sure doesn't go into much detail about the incident, but I guess the most important takeaway is that it can land safely with one motor only. Any idea how they land in that case?

phrogpilot73

The linked article sure doesn't go into much detail about the incident, but I guess the most important takeaway is that it can land safely with one motor only. Any idea how they land in that case?
The same way they land if they have two. There's a drive shaft that connects the two nacelles, so if one engine fails - the other engine continues to turn both prop-rotors. I would assume (and I could be wrong) that if a Phrog can fly single engine in the desert (and I was, just not during the summer) than an Osprey (which has got an assload more power than a Phrog) can too.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
There should be a Maintaince Officer wreaking havoc on QA and the Powerplants shop over this. I'm suprised that they would be working in the fuel cells of a V-22 so soon, unless they took some damage.

Pags

N/A
pilot

My guess is that a run on landing would be the safest approach since you'd be in a power limited situation. At least that's how we do it in a helo.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
No X-feed for the thunder chicken???

Redux

Somebody is going to get a serious ass chewin, what's next, supply issues rags on a one for one? :( Not sure how it's set up in Ospreys but everywhere I've been fuel cells belonged to Airframes......made of metal you know. :)

skidz

adrenaline junky
WTF? Do these people have anything better to do than study NATOPS for a plane they don't fly?

And should this really be out in the open? I know it's unclass, but still.
Never underestimate the capabilities of a very bored individual with a laptop. :icon_tong

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Somebody is going to get a serious ass chewin, what's next, supply issues rags on a one for one? :( Not sure how it's set up in Ospreys but everywhere I've been fuel cells belonged to Airframes......made of metal you know. :)
All the 22 yrs in the Navy the Fuel Cells always was the responsibilites of the PowerPlants shop ;)

Redux

All the 22 yrs in the Navy the Fuel Cells always was the responsibilites of the PowerPlants shop ;)

So you're saying you have MIL-S-8802-D in your veins and topcoat is just a coagulant? :confused: Some things one NEVER forgets about. :)

hscs

pilot
So you're saying you have MIL-S-8802-D in your veins and topcoat is just a coagulant? :confused: Some things one NEVER forgets about. :)

Redux -- I have always seen fuel cell work done by powerplants. H-60 fuel cells are not metal -- they are a "bag". Oh, and I have been at squadrons where rags have been issued one for one for this exact reason. Take another run around the block, Skippy.

phrogpilot73

Redux -- I have always seen fuel cell work done by powerplants. H-60 fuel cells are not metal -- they are a "bag". Oh, and I have been at squadrons where rags have been issued one for one for this exact reason. Take another run around the block, Skippy.
Phrog fuel cells are a bladder as well. Worked on by flightline (helo version of powerplants in the USMC). And she's been around since '64...