• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Chosen to be the new COD

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
HSC only recently broke into capabilities (forward firing gun) that the 160th fielded during the original Persian Gulf War. Take a step back and think about why.

HSC exists in order to fly plane guard, do log runs and VERTREP- all of which are critical to strike group operations. No way is anyone going to go without the asset that fill a very real need just because the community filling that need doesn't feel it's sexy enough, or a deserving enough use for its new toys.

Actually there's a decent reason to arm up a -60R/S it's just that others are probably having a hard time realizing that the probability of a carrier or amphib getting hit by a ASCM from China are a hell of a lot lower than some shit head running a Baja Islander packed with explosives into it....that and the best close in weapons to target match for it is a Helo with guns and PGMs.

If you have to do a NEO, reinforce an embassy, send a SEAL team ashore, or any other similar mission and the ARG or SOCOM is not available but the carrier is - imagine explaining to the CCDR that we have tilt-rotors but simply don't train for it.

If a NEO dissolves into that then better question is why the hell the MEU or SOCOM can't and why the hell the T/R COD should - followed by a quick reordering of priorties.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually there's a decent reason to arm up a -60R/S it's just that others are probably having a hard time realizing that the probability of a carrier or amphib getting hit by a ASCM from China are a hell of a lot lower than some shit head running a Baja Islander packed with explosives into it....that and the best close in weapons to target match for it is a Helo with guns and PGMs.
Hence my squadron FAC/FIAC SME's term for the threat: "assholes on jetskis."

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While it is fun to dream that the V-22 is going to take the SEALs over the beach on their next Bin Laden raid they will almost certainly be too tied up bringing all those spares and care packages from the beach to the boat since that is what CODs do.

Bing, Bing, Bing, WINNER!!!

I've seen the studies (new one coming out from CNA shortly). It will be a challenge to just sustain the amount of pax/cargo in the new aircraft much less tack on additional missions. But I bet we try to do it. There is even a tanking package for the V-22; want to bet someone wants to push that mission to The CV-22? I suspect that because it "could" do some of these missions, the community will do a token amount of training to it. Just like the paradrops we do currently.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

That was my point. It wasn't that suddenly after 25 years of getting the job done overland that the COCOMS decided that Army/Air Force/ USMC aviation assets needed help from Navy dudes so they were fitted with weapons to fight overland.

There's a specific threat, and Navy helos are now capable of attempting to counter that threat. The Navy didn't buy the weapons for the 60s with the intent that they wouldn't be used to defend the strike group.

The bread and butter of HSC is logistics. They play a role of critical importance to the strike groups mission. They need to embrace that they're important for that reason, and even though they get to play army for readiness sake, that's someone else's job.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bing, Bing, Bing, WINNER!!!

I've seen the studies (new one coming out from CNA shortly). It will be a challenge to just sustain the amount of pax/cargo in the new aircraft much less tack on additional missions. But I bet we try to do it. There is even a tanking package for the V-22; want to bet someone wants to push that mission to The CV-22? I suspect that because it "could" do some of these missions, the community will do a token amount of training to it. Just like the paradrops we do currently.

I think the Gasprey package was meant more for AFSOC and to sweeten the (now-dead) Israeli FMS buy than for the Navy. Unless they wayyy plused-up the size of the COD Det, there aren't going to be any Plopters hanging around the Boat to pass gas anyway; a two-plane det will be just as busy whether it's a Plopter or C-2. Busier, since it'll be augmenting the -60S log birds to the smaller decks as well.

The tanker package would be interesting additional capability for the Marines...organic give off the Gators for any future Odyssey Dawn-type scenarios.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
I will miss the good ol Greyhounds, I think they look fun to fly, don't judge me :rolleyes:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Busier, since it'll be augmenting the -60S log birds to the smaller decks as well.

Uh, generally, Osprey isn't touching any deck a -53 can't land on. So you're talking CVN and L-Class ships primarily. Granted, more than the COD can do now, and it'll eliminate that "COD this dude to the carrier and then Helo him to the Gator". That's also going to take a slight mindset adjustment for the COD guys.

Jublov

Any COD guys on here wanna add insight, would you be able to transition to the V-22?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any COD guys on here wanna add insight, would you be able to transition to the V-22?
Considering that the JOs that will fly the CV-22 are probably just entering college, it's still pretty far off to make those king of guesses. What will you be doing in 2021/2025? Some current COD JOs will probably be associated with the transition and some will be VOD CO's, but again...that's pretty far in the future.

COD1.png

Jublov

Thanks for this pic ea6bflyr, I'm optimistic a bit for the change, gonna hear more rotors than Allison T56 engines :D

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Noooooooo!
1270800204004.png

Last edited:

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Uh, a COD guy did comment, your call if it's insight.

COD guys will transition. Some will transition sooner than many think, but the community won't transition overnight. Those who transition early will spend time gaining experience with those already flying the birds so the initial Dets will have some experienced folks during IOC. There may even be seasoned folks from other services contributing their expertise to the Dets.

I would venture a guess that we will see Dets larger than two birds; just to maintain the status quo of pax/mail/cargo.

Jublov

So hypothetically if I was Intermediate/Advanced I would go report to train with the marines on the V-22?

Primary - Intermediate (T-44), (Advanced, T-45/TH-57?)