• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Oriskany CVA-34 back in P'Cola

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
USMCBebop said:
It already happened in May of last year.

Check navsource.org. It shows some of her final days at Philly and picture showing after she went under :(

That sucks...that was the first aircraft carrier I ever saw up close...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Somehow, I doubt they're going to sink her with random bombs, missiles and torpedos. Something more like a carefully orchestrated controlled demo. Video should be interesting to watch though.

Brett

On the whole, I agree, however I'm reminded of that tanker that was aground up in Alaska a couple of years ago. The came in and bombed it, shelled it from sea, set up a bunch of demo, and the thing still stayed in place. Then some sub cruised by and lobbed a MK 48 at it. The thing broke in half and was no longer a problem. Pretty impressive weapon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
On the whole, I agree, however I'm reminded of that tanker that was aground up in Alaska a couple of years ago. The came in and bombed it, shelled it from sea, set up a bunch of demo, and the thing still stayed in place. Then some sub cruised by and lobbed a MK 48 at it. The thing broke in half and was no longer a problem. Pretty impressive weapon.

How about the pair of Aussie F-111's blowing a captured North Korean ship last week :D :

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...323/aussie_cargo_ap_060323/20060323?hub=World

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060323/1/3zkmk.html

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Fly Navy said:
That was a pretty damn cool plane man.

espically the escape module

ap366qb.jpg

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
CV-66 Pt II

jamnww said:
That sucks...that was the first aircraft carrier I ever saw up close...
When I saw her in Philly, I almost cried. I'm not accustomed to seeing super carriers in such condition (i.e. rotting, rusting, AWAITING HER FATE). I grew up in San Diego where super carriers are common place.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
When we were taking the Forrestal out of the Philly shipyard in 1985 the ole Essex class Shangri-La was sitting at the next pier over. She had just been sold for scrap.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
So 7 years later... We dove the Oriskany a few weeks ago and it was the best dive I have ever done. It was really amazing to stand on the flight deck and think about all the stories I have read here on airwarriors. It's was really surreal being 140 feet down and thinking about all of the things the Oriskany has been a part of.... I need to look for another picture there's an american and pow flag flying off the superstructure, you can kind of see it in the last picture but it was pretty cool. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg