• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN or USNR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1_T

I have a question, it is something that I have noticed through most of my career, and that is the whole "reserve" thing that seems to be highly prevelant in the officer community. Like for instance, you go through Naval RESERVE Officer Training Course and then you get commisioned in the USNR. I have seen lots of officers who's status is USNR, yet they are on active duty, full time. How does that work? and do you not have the option of being just regular old USN without the R attached to it. Anyone who can shed some light on this for me would be of great help. I am an STA-21 hopeful this year and notice that upon completion of NROTC I would be commisioned as an Ensign, USNR. Thanks for the help.

NuSnake

the way it was explained to me is that you are in the USNR until you reach LT and then you can apply to be USN...but I dont remember why

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i think its so the Navy doesnt have to give you severence if they let you go before your time is up. If you are USN you do get a severence. I believe this is the way it is but i'm not entirely sure. I believe when you make Lt. you just write a letter (to whom?) and ask to be USN instead of USNR.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Don't know the whole story, but you will be USNR(active). It felt kind of weird putting USN behind my rank for 12 years and then when I get my commission putting USNR. Just doesn't seem right, but that is the standard across the board until you hit LT. My guess is that it just makes it easier for the Navy to get rid of you if you aren't meeting standards. Just a breaking in period. If somebody has the answer I woould be interested.

JKD

With Intel, 1635 is the USNR designator and 1630 is the USN designator. I read somewhere, can't remember where, the only officers to get 1630 are those who go through the academy. Any other commissioning route gives you the 1635.
Not sure if this is good gouge or not (I'm enlisted in the reserves, so all of the officers in my unit are 1635).

cyphertube

Ok, I decided to do a little research on http://www.staynavy.navy.mil/

If you use the tool Research Duty Assignments, it lists 1635 from O-1 to O-4, and 1630 starts to be listed at O-3 (through O-6, where the tool stops), and 1637 at O-4 and O-5.

trt23

it used to be that academy grads got active duty commisions, and rotc got reserve commisions (hence the "r"). legislation headed up by john glenn changed that in about 1997, now all commisions are reserve, except for LDO's (i think).

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Only the top graduate from the academy can get a regular USN everyone else gets USNR. This includes all other academy types, rotc and ocs.

Dave

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
As far as stories from my dad go, it was part of the good ol boy club. The Academy guys had their own little thing going, and kept everyone else out until they could prove themselves. It is a good thing that it is this way, it means that congress is getting smarter, and understands that graduating from the academy does not necessarily mean superior leadership. Now everyone has to compete for augmentation.

As far as I understand, it is the same for the Marines as the Navy (or at least similar?). The top ten percent out of TBS get regular commissions. All that it means is that your EAD will go away on your les. Something to worry about later, if you decide to be a career type it will become important. The link below explains it better than I can.

link

PR1_T

So I guess I have a semi-clear picture of how it works now. The only other question, does the time that you are USNR have any effect on your time in? IE if it takes 4 years from Commissioning to make LT, do you lose those four years as active duty service time or do they count all the same. From what I have seen, the R is simply a letter, because you are a full time active duty sailor, you just have that stiking little R attached to ya! Sound about right? BTW, thanks for all the input on this.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Well, I’m going to attempt to answer this question in hopes that if I am talking out my rear someone will rip me a new one. I will use the term O-3 (Capt or LT). Making O-3, and augmentation aren’t necessarily related. You have a reserve commission, and are serving active duty until a democrat president is elected at which point the military will downsize, and the only men and women left standing will be the ones that were augmented. Everyone else; well, the military doesn’t need you any more until we re-elect a republican and go back to war, otherwise try and attach with a reserve unit somewhere so you can play military on the weekend.

Augmentation usually happens at the same time that you make O-3, but I suppose it could happen at another chronological time???

To give you a case study, that I know was somewhat common not to long ago, I will mention my TBS company commander, a major. He was an infantry guy enlisted, then officer – when augmentation time came around he did not augment as an infantry officer, but a communications officer??? Why is this? I assume it is all of the career balancing above my pay grade. This is what the Marines do, and I can only assume that the Navy does the same, since this order shoots down from congress.

My understanding is that it is a way to get rid of you if you suck.

The way I look at augmentation is that it is a job security plan for whenever the democrats make their comeback. It lets you become part of the good ol boy club.

That was all beatin around the bush, to make the final plunge – no, it will not affect your time in service. I assume that you are thinking in terms of retirement, and all of that info would most likely be in the uniformed services almanac. When you are active duty, you are active duty regardless of the R, it only makes a difference if you are in a reserve unit, and I don’t know much about that.

Hope this helps, and I was talking out an orifice other than my mouth for half of this, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.