• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN may add conformal fuel tanks to F/A-18E/F fleet

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Not to be the bad guy here, but that should honestly be a valid question. I know exactly how much gas our airwing dumped each cycle. Combine that with the 7 day currency thing and its a fuckton of gas wasted. (And what real benefit does all that fuel buy you?) Compare the amount dumped by 1 airwing during 1 cycle to the amount an entire helo squadron burns flying for a quarter or even a year, and you start to wonder if the focus of previous cuts was a bit misguided....
Call it the cost of doing business around the boat. I would never begrudge those guys that gas that they are dumping, and this is coming from someone who flies an aircraft that has to shut down with a minimum of ten thousand pounds in the tanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take it you've never heard of "Smart-Tanking."
Not all Air Wings do smart-tanking; in fact CSFTP had to highly recommend that the CVW try it so they know how to do it. It is discussed as part of C2X, but it comes at a risk that most CAG's don't want to take or don't like, especially as they are trying to get their blue water cert (COE) during C2X..

jmcquate

Contributor
OK .........I'll type it............The only time you have too much fuel is if your on fire.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Bingo. Jets are cheaper than 4k of gas.

We train to operate in places where that's not an option. And when it's not actual blue water ops taking place, obviously there is a bingo state beneath that notional tank state and we will bingo if necessary. But the middle of the ocean, 600nm from any field, is not the place to find out your airwing's tanking procedures need work.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Heard a rumor from a TPS guy that folks are looking at the cost of bringing back the S-3 for tanking only.
Doubt it will happen, but thought the idea seemed interesting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard a rumor from a TPS guy that folks are looking at the cost of bringing back the S-3 for tanking only.
Why would they do that? Current system seems to work well enough. Sounds like wishful thinking.

MasterBates

Let pull the KA-6 out of retirement.. Are there even any left in the boneyard? With the Prowler being phased out, it does probably free up a good chunk of spares.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

What would an S-3 tanker's give amount be in lbs of gas? How does that compare w/ Buddy Stores or whatever we're doing now?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What would an S-3 tanker's give amount be in lbs of gas? How does that compare w/ Buddy Stores or whatever we're doing now?
The more important question is... how much $$$ would it take to field, equip and maintain a fleet of S-3s? The answer is too much. Legacy airframes like that are O&M money pits. Someone did this cost/benefit calculus when they killed the S-3s in the first place. I doubt much has changed.

MasterBates

True, but have they looked into the fact that the trap life on some of the rhinos are getting eat up by it..

TTLR don't burn much but engine cycles/times, but as airframes start getting trapped out, with the IOC for the F-35 nowhere on the horizon..

Example.. It may cost me more to keep my POS 99 F-250 running than my 2013 4Runner.. But if the $$$ dumped into the F-250 saves me from either running the 4Runner into the ground pulling all sorts of heavy trailers, or from buying a new truck..

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^ you've oversimplified the case.

There are MANY inherent costs with "parking" an airplane. See NAS Whidbey/CVWP and the idea of "preservation"....

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The TPS pilot said something about SuperHornets getting wing cracks from the buddy stores. Don't know if its true or not, just conveying what was told to me.