• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN may add conformal fuel tanks to F/A-18E/F fleet

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
How is it that some of you praise the Rhino as way better than JSF, while others say it's underpowered and has mediocre performance?

It's a beast down low, especially in a relatively clean configuration...but a pig up high. And I use the phrase 'up high' loosely. And once you start mounting pylons and hanging shit from them, it only gets worse. She has enough trouble cracking the number as-is, and now they're saying that the CFTs may cause increased wave drag.

She needs more ass.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Isn't that the Stars and Bars in low-vis in front of the intake?

Stars and Bars?

I doubt it...

CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_o...#First_national_flag_.28the_Stars_and_Bars.29

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think people are so used to seeing the conformals without knowing it on the 15Es that they don't realize that the bulge outboard of the intakes is not a permanent part of the aircraft.
That very well could be. When I saw the Rhino tanks in St Louis, they looked very different.

Lawman

None
They did a good job with the Eagle making them look like they werent an after thought.

Some aircraft... not so lucky...
m02006112700088.jpg

dfaff.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
F-15C's have two canopy rails. The F-15E conformal tanks are removable, but they seem to pretty much always be attached. They have a lot of hardpoints for bombs. On that note, I bet the F-15 in that picture isn't an E. It seems set up for missiles, not bombs. The tanks on the C seem to have only one row of racks for AMRAAM's. The E in the earlier picture has more racks on the conformal tanks meant for bombs. Here's a C with tanks. http://www.airliners.net/photo/0766781/M/

Ha I'm an idiot....so they do. Yeah I would agree with this then

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So 3.5k more in taxpayer gas you can dump in the pattern? Smiles, of course...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
What extra playtime does 3.5k give you at max E in a E/F? That's another bag and a half for us.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Star and bar"

AFG-080923-004.jpg

"Stars and bars"

320px-CSA_FLAG_4.3.1861-21.5.1861.svg.png

The difference can make a world of difference in how the good guys react when you first approach them ;)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
What extra playtime does 3.5k give you at max E in a E/F? That's another bag and a half for us.

Play time? Depends on what you're doing. When thought of as number of passes behind the ship at night, blue water, it's as good as mother's milk (provided there's not a lot of "bring back" hanging on the wings).