• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN may add conformal fuel tanks to F/A-18E/F fleet

delta215

The US Navy is considering adding conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) onto its fleet of Boeing F/A-18E/FSuper Hornet strike fighters, sources say. The twin dorsally mounted tanks are expected to be tested this summer.
The USN does not deny that it is interested in the conformal tanks, but says that it cannot comment on the project at this time. "As of right now this information is proprietarily owned between Boeing and Northrop [Grumman] and PMA-265 cannot talk to it," the Naval Air Systems Command says. PMA-265 is the US Navy programme office responsible for managing the F/A-18 and EA-18G fleets.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...l-tanks-to-fa-18ef-super-hornet-fleet-383701/

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not currently a requirement for the USN, AFAIK. They are an option for export models and they have them for F-15E as well... just not ours. I've seen them in the Boeing plant mounted on what I seem to remember as a ROK mud hen. Looked weird.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Add these, clean up those silly pylons and put the beefy export motors in our rhinos.... anddddd buh bye, JSF.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Add these, clean up those silly pylons and put the beefy export motors in our rhinos.... anddddd buh bye, JSF.

Similar things could be said about many of these new more better idea programs. The only problem with using logic........JSF is too big to fail similar to the v-22. So even if the Rhino's got the upgrades and JSF takes another 20 years to hit the fleet, we'll still stick to it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's not currently a requirement for the USN, AFAIK. They are an option for export models and they have them for F-15E as well... just not ours. I've seen them in the Boeing plant mounted on what I seem to remember as a ROK mud hen. Looked weird.
USAF F-15E's have conformal tanks

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

Agreed. All or nothing. Adding the tanks without straightening the pylons and installing big motors would crush her already mediocre performance.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've deployed twice with an AEF and done probably a dozen dets to Nellis. Never seen one installed.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How is it that some of you praise the Rhino as way better than JSF, while others say it's underpowered and has mediocre performance?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool. Never seen one installed on a US jet.

I've deployed twice with an AEF and done probably a dozen dets to Nellis. Never seen one installed.

I have never seen an F-15E without them, I think it is very rare they fly without them.

680px-F-15e.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think people are so used to seeing the conformals without knowing it on the 15Es that they don't realize that the bulge outboard of the intakes is not a permanent part of the aircraft.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
How is it that some of you praise the Rhino as way better than JSF, while others say it's underpowered and has mediocre performance?

I think most folks are focusing on a WVR dogfight when they bemoan the E/F's performance.

1/0/2/G with 50% fuel, the Rhino can hang. But you start talking about more realistic combat A/A & A/G loadouts, and the whole man in the box matters less.

It seems to me the Rhino does just fine in most other areas. And for the type of missions we flew in AFG and Iraq, 3500# of extra gas would have been worth a small drag/weight penalty.