• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Exchange Tour Opportunities

Muff Dvr

- In the USN aviation component, are there any opportunities to do an exchange tour? If so, how common is it and what kind of exchange tours are available?

- Are there any opportunities to something similar to a FAC (forward air controller) tour?

- If I get stuck with a platform I'm not fond of, are there any opportunities to switch platforms later in my career?

- Is it true that flying helicopters is like master baiting, it feels good when you're doing it but you don't want to tell anyone you did it?

Pags

N/A
pilot
- In the USN aviation component, are there any opportunities to do an exchange tour? If so, how common is it and what kind of exchange tours are available?

- Are there any opportunities to something similar to a FAC (forward air controller) tour?

- If I get stuck with a platform I'm not fond of, are there any opportunities to switch platforms later in my career?

- Is it true that flying helicopters is like master baiting, it feels good when you're doing it but you don't want to tell anyone you did it?
Master baiting? Isn't that what pro fisherman do?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
  • In the USN aviation component, are there any opportunities to do an exchange tour? If so, how common is it and what kind of exchange tours are available?
  • Are there any opportunities to something similar to a FAC (forward air controller) tour?
  • If I get stuck with a platform I'm not fond of, are there any opportunities to switch platforms later in my career?
  • Is it true that flying helicopters is like master baiting, it feels good when you're doing it but you don't want to tell anyone you did it?

1) Look into the PEP program: https://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/LANGUAGE_CULTURE/Pages/PEP.aspx

2) Maybe.

3) Maybe.

4) Just remember that all the helo pilots get to go back to shore during long underways to "get maintenance parts" and then mysteriously return with a small box of parts and half-eaten pizzas. Never understood why they get only half a pizza. . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PERS-43 has essentially killed any PEP options for aviators these days. Hard to justify when they're having trouble filling spots in production tours.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think @PEPfromage sucked up the last PEP good deal Dauphin flying, cheese eating, meet a beautiful French doctor and marry her, goodness!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
PERS-43 has essentially killed any PEP options for aviators these days.
Yup. I discovered a PEP billet flying with Canada in New Brunswick last year. The PEP guy told me it had been unfilled for quite some time. Guess what the detailer wouldn't let me go do...

Hard to justify when they're having trouble filling spots in production tours.
If you had said Disassociated, then yes, sure. But I would volunteer to fill whatever flying gig you're supposedly saying we can't fill and I know a boatload of JOs who would do the same. In fact, I have voiced this many times to the detailer...Dude, I'm available. I have EPs and all the quals. Call me. Yet mysteriously the only offers on tap involve another tour with black shoes.

It's called prioritization. What would you have them do?
I would have them stop telling us there's no problem with manning and start thinking outside the box:
"Hey, remember that guy who said he wanted to fly but we only offered him a boat tour and then he dropped his letter?"
"Yeah, RedFive. The really [good looking] helo bubba."
"Why don't we offer him flying instead of losing him to the airlines?"

"But it's not on the path."
"Neither are the airlines!"

? ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@RedFive - Production, disassociated, it’s all the same principle depending on the community. Bottom line, they’re going to fill those billets before they entertain PEP.