• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC WSQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-man

Hey any Devil Dogs out there achived WSQ yet? A few of us got WS-1 on Parris Island- it was not the hardest thing in the world- but it sure was not a walk in the park either. I'm a little interested about WSQ which I'll have to go for in two months.
Samper Fi-
O-man

mottoalex

O-man
I got my WSQ out of MCRD and it sucked. The DI's took upon themselves to ensure that not very many recruits passed. Of about 250 recruits 7 of us made it passed WS-1 and 4 of that passed WSQ.
Basically, WSQ is water rescue techniques. There are four ways to rescue and one swim assist.
For example, the DI is the victim and you need to rescue him. They will have you swim up to him and stop about 3 feet short. Then, he simulates a "PANICKED" swimmer and grabs you with a death grip, he even wrapped his legs around my waist and tried to sqweeze the air out of my lungs.
The technique is to take the victim to the bottom of the pool and use pressure points on their arm to free yourself. We had to do this several times both with them attacking us from the front and from behind. Once they were free, we had to tow them to the other side of the pool, using different techniques each time. It was very hard. Especially when the DI would wake up and try to swim the other way.
After the rescues I think you need to swim a mile then you've passed. I'm not sure though because its been 5 years since I've done it. I can't imagine it would be much different and I do believe that it would be a lot easier without the DI's.
The best advise I can give is to pay attention and use the techniques they teach. They work and save needed energy. Two of the recruits that made it almost drowned because they got so tired.

Best of luck and kick butt.

Espy
USMCR
Cpl.

John West

O-Man

In my opinion WS-1 is harder than WSQ. The burning oil drill was the worst part. The part that gave most people trouble with Q was swimming with the weight. Other than that it was just jumping off a platform, treading some water and then going for a little swim. You might want to practice the ten pound weight thing but don't sweat it.

Jared

O-man

Cpl Espy- I think you totally just described WS-1. I did that at the Island too. I was one of three in India Co. that made it. I remember only too clearly the Swim instructors hindering our progress with them over to the side of the pool. Just yesterday I found a link with TBS's page that described all of this stuff. I think it does look like Lt.Douglass is right about Q- so long as I'm only responalbe for myslef- water aint got nothing on me. I think I will practice with the weight- more for fun than anything else. We go to the pool in Feb. Jan were in Quant. for live fireMan I love that sh*t. Samper Fi-
PFC "O-man"
0311 USMCR

Edited by - O-man on 11/29/2001 22:22:26

Edited by - O-man on 11/29/2001 22:23:24

mottoalex

Opps!!! your right that was WS-1, its been longer than I thought. As for WSQ I would agree with Jared it was easier. The most challenging part seems to be the brick swim. I was assisting with the recon swim program in AK, and hardly anyone could pass that part. However, right before that qual. they had to run a first class PFT.
Anyway, parctice with the weight, it also helps to calm down while your swimming with it. Most guys would get really panicked and lose the feel of the water and start to sink. I don't know if its still the same, but we had to keep the 10 lb weight out of the water for the entire length of the pool. Everything else is a cake walk.

Espy (really...I passed WSQ...I swear )
USMCR
Cpl.

Edited by - mottoalex on 11/30/2001 00:19:02

Status
Not open for further replies.