• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC -Which is more family friendly-jets or helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthorp

Hi,
I'm new to this site. I'm down here in Pensacola with my husband in primary at Whiting. He is selecting his aircraft next Thursday. Even when he was a single guy he dreamed of flying C-130's. Now we hear it is the "family man's dream", that it's more like being a commercial pilot but they get to do cool missions, too! Of course there are virtually no slots for C-130's so it will for sure be his first choice, but he won't expect to get it
weeping_125.gif
. He's got jet grades, so he could most likely choose between jets or helos. Whenever I talk to the pilots, they always think WHATEVER they fly is by far the coolest and the most fun. So, if they're all just as cool and just as fun, I'm curious which one is home more, if you know what I mean!!! Are there any wives out there who know which one is more family friendly? I've talked with a few helo pilots and their wives. They seem to be gone all the time. I've only talked with one jet pilot's wife. She made it sound like her husband works an 8-5 job and only flies twice a week. I'd love some advice. I'm kinda having fun actually getting to throw my 2 cents in since my husband thinks he'd be happy either way!!
Jenn

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It varies greatly. That's a crappy answer, but it's true. Helos always have MEU deployments to support, which, when combined with workups beforehand take up a lot of time. Harriers do MEUs, as well, but usually the pilots they send have been around a lot longer than the helo bubbas by the time of their first float. Some of the F-18 squadrons do the big deck carriers, others don't. The EA-6B guys are in a high-demand role, and are probably gone more than anyone. If you were to take an average, helos are probably gone more, but there are enough exceptions to make a generalization difficult.

In just under 4 years as a fleet 46 bubba, I was at sea 1yr and 6mo, plus 6 weeks of CAX, and probably about 3 months ofother detachments here and there. Compare to other communities as you will.

jthorp

Phrogdriver,
thanks so much responding to my question. It definitely wasn't a crappy answer. I know I asked a really lame question seeing as how everyone's experience is completely different. I'm very impressed, though. I didn't expect such an unbiased/matter-of-fact answer from a pilot. Every pilot I've ever asked that question to answers it explaining why their aircraft is the coolest. I just sit there and think. . everybody already knows you're cool. . .Marine AND Pilot. . it doesn't get much cooler!!!
sly_125.gif
hee hee
Oh! also, latest I heard, my husband's leaning towards helos for the "cool mission" factor. I'll let him read your response, too.
Thanks again for the info!!

TritonGrad

jthorp,

I have to concur with Phrogdriver. I was in an F-18 squadron for 3 1/2 years and of those years I was deployed over 2 years of it! I know other guys that fly F-18's that haven't been gone much more than 6 months in a 4 year tour. It just depends on what squadron he ends up going to, and there is still a long road until you get to that point (jets = 8-15 months for the FRS, and the helos are probably around 6 months or so). The helo bubbas have the same problem. It just depends on what squadron he goes to, and what their deployment rotation looks like. I would recommend that he picks what his heart tells him and what is going to make him happiest at work, then as the time gets closer, then he can start working toward getting into a squadron that works for your family life and aspirations.

Remember, take advantage of the time you have now, because when he hits the fleet, in whatever platform he does select, time will be at a premium!

Webster

jthorp,
There is some good advice here. I would like to add that I have friends in just about all comunities and CH-53Ds (K-Bay) may be the one stand out for low deployed time. There has been talk for years about starting them on a rotation to Japan but I don't think it ever came about. I know several families that have been very happy there. Tri is right though, your husband needs to pick what he will be happy doing or you will both be miserable.

On a side note, I chose Cobras for the mission (and am happy I did). However, during my fleet tour I was gone more than I was at home.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
53Ds are going to Oki now, but you're right, those guys don't deploy much.

Status
Not open for further replies.