• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Rotary Communities

NJ Devil Dog

I AM MARINE, MARINE FIND BOX.
Hi All,

I’ve heard that each platform and squadron within that platform has its own culture. For better or for worse, what are some of the unique aspects of the HMLA and HMH squadrons that you’ve experienced firsthand?

Thanks!

croakerfish

pilot
Hi All,

I’ve heard that each platform and squadron within that platform has its own culture. For better or for worse, what are some of the unique aspects of the HMLA and HMH squadrons that you’ve experienced firsthand?

Thanks!
I’m not a Marine but I worked with many HMLA and HMH guys deployed with the 31st MEU and as an HT instructor. From an outsider’s perspective they’re both pretty good communities.

HMLA had a reputation as a really over-the-top eat the young kind of place but with the transition to new airframes it doesn’t seem that way anymore. Getting a new aircraft seems to hit the reset button somehow. It’s where all the cool kid USMC SNA’s want to go.

HMH seemed like the old Navy HC in some ways. They fly an old, abused and neglected aircraft in a support role and take perverse pride in the fact that they are viewed as the help. I’ve heard jet people call them “herbivores” which is stupid but on-brand for those preening nancies. They’ll be getting a new aircraft as well so they stand to benefit and gain new capabilities in the near future.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I’ve always gotten the impression that there’s a lot of mutual respect between skids and Big Iron, despite the common ribbing of young/leaf eating, as appropriate. Fundamentally it’s two communities who put tremendous value on doing a small handful of missions (heavy lift and CAS) really, really well (yes I know the Cobra has like 14 METs), and who doctrinally do those missions integrated with each other.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I’ve always gotten the impression that there’s a lot of mutual respect between skids and Big Iron, despite the common ribbing of young/leaf eating, as appropriate. Fundamentally it’s two communities who put tremendous value on doing a small handful of missions (heavy lift and CAS) really, really well (yes I know the Cobra has like 14 METs), and who doctrinally do those missions integrated with each other.

There is something to be said about an Assault Support community who takes a ton of pride in being the best Assault Support community in the business.