• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC NFO transfer to Pilot mid-career

marchbanksusmc

Gentlemen,
While reading other forum post was amusing in many ways it has failed to answer the question I am seeking. Is it possible for an NFO in the Marine Corps to request a transfer to become a pilot in the same or different airframe community?
I have found myself in a humbling situation. I completed PLC Jr’s last summer, and was slated to finish PLC Sr’s… well right now. The Navy Docs found stress fractures in my tibias… they dismissed me from OCS two days before pickup, with a favorable recommendation to reapply in writing coming from the CO of OCS. I will heal up, put in the paper work for a waiver, and reapply.
According to my OSO I am no longer eligible for attending PLC Sr’s due to the fact that I graduated May 1st of this year. I now have to apply for a new SNA slot in OCC. As most of you may know there are no more SNA slots available for OCC in the near future. Therefore I no longer have an air contract. There are 3 NFO slots slated for the January class. It is my desire to 1st of all lead Marines and become a Marine Officer, senond is my desire to fly(I never even thought that this might be as an NFO). I would rather be an NFO than not be in the air wing at all, but if it is an option to eventually have my hands on the controls, than I am curious as to when and how this transfer might occur.

To repeat what I have tried to imply, it is my desire to lead Marines and be in the Air community. I will be happy with any MOS or airframe that I am given the privilege to work in.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may be able to share.

marchbanksusmc

As I was, after searching more thoroughly, I found a post concerning Navy NFO to pilot transfers im assuming it might be similar for the Marine Corps. Could anyone shed light on this issue?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can't shed any more light really, but it wasn't unheard of in flight school to see Marine NFO's going back through as SNA's. If you want to be a pilot though, your easiest course of action might be to simply wait on doing seniors if you have that option. Much better to start out in the career that you want, rather than bank on transitioning at a later date. At the very least, you will need to get through NFO flight school, the FRS, and a fleet tour before you are considered for such a transition (ie you will be a Capt by then).

marchbanksusmc

I appreciate the wisdom sir. I am no longer eligible for Sr's I have to reapply and go to the 10 week course as OCC (then of course TBS). There are no OCC SNA slots available for the this year and next year. So I am starting to think that I must go NFO or lose any chance of being in the air as a Marine Officer.

jtmedli

pilot
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm just another Candidate in the pipeline with you but...I've seen this question asked a couple of times before here and the general consensus was that if you take an NFO contract then you should plan on being an NFO. The transfers do happen, but it seems they are rare and tough to get. I was in, more or less, your same position so I understand where you're at. Good luck with the decision.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It is possible to transition from NFO to pilot but if you go that route you have to want to be an NFO. It is too long and too much work to just use it as a stepping stone. For that matter I imagine you'd need to be a good NFO to be selected for a transition. If your real goal is to be a pilot then get a pilot slot. If being an NFO appeals to you, then go for it. Either way, good luck.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is possible to transition from NFO to pilot but if you go that route you have to want to be an NFO. It is too long and too much work to just use it as a stepping stone. For that matter I imagine you'd need to be a good NFO to be selected for a transition. If your real goal is to be a pilot then get a pilot slot. If being an NFO appeals to you, then go for it. Either way, good luck.

Very true. As far as I know, all the Marine NFO studs go through VT-86 for strike training, and I have heard nothing but horror stories about that place. Whether true or not, you will bust your balls for dual anchor wings just as much as you would for single anchor (at least for strike communities, can't speak to others really). Should you want to experience the joys of flight school x2, then more power to you, but I don't think I would. (Granted you would probably have a little bit more status as a winged NFO/fleet guy coming back than you do the first time around)