• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Jets vs Helos

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubjdh

I've been getting some odd looks lately, and wanted to toss this out for people to pick at and add their 2 cents to. The situation is this: I've done well enough so far in Primary to be able to pick what I want, either jets or helos. Being a Marine, right now anything above a 54 will practically guarantee jets. But I'm on the fence with my selection and was curious if any other people had similar situations. I love both communities, but feel that personality wise, helos would be a better fit, and who's going to say 53D's out of K-Bay isn't a choice duty station. But then again, its a Jet... Thanks for any advice.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Its a tough call: all of the communities are good: jets, C-130's, and helos. If you want the glamour of flying jets, certainly nothing wrong with that - we need the fighter guys to cover for us, the attack guys to take out the targets, the props to do just about everything. However, helos go out with the MEU and you really work as part of the Big Green Team (you will have a detachment of Harriers as well but seldom see the F-18 and C-130 guys) You will stay busy all the time (Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti, O'Grady Rescue mission, etc, etc, etc) not just the 1 war a decade.

Best way I can describe it is the jets are like quarterbacks and wide recievers: flashy, fast, highly talented. Helo Bubbas are more like offensive lineman: down and dirty amongst the mud, the blood, and the beer (think of Clint Eastwood in the Gauntlet - armoring up the bus and closing with the enemy.)

Finally, if you go jets, you will fly nothing but airplanes from here on out. If you go helos, there is a strong possiblity you can come back and instruct in T-34C's and do acrobatics (or maybe T-6's) or possibly even do the transition to fixed wing later (one of my buds just got a CH-46E to C-130 transition, I know of a few others who got helos to Harriers - the odds are slim but a few do it every year.)

At any rate, good luck with your choice and congratulations for doing well.

clubjdh

Well, growing up I always thought jets were the only thing worth flying. But Lord knows what having a grunt SPC at TBS does to you in regards to thinking about Team Green, and I really appreciate the entire team mentality a ton more than some of my comtemporaries. In regards to leadership opportunities, I can imagine being on a crew-based platform would increase leadership responsibilities...any truth? Also, on the future disassociated cruise theme, what sort of billets (other than a Weenie instructor) are available to bubbas? I always thought getting a pack back on would be fun (sick, I know) and being a FAC...is that a possibility? Thanks a ton for any input.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Well, jet jocks or helo bubbas have virtually the same "B" billets available. The only exception to this is that an impressive "B" billet tour available to helo bubbas is to go to HMX and fly the President.

However, if you want a pack and to go back out in the woods, that will not be a problem. Also, it will look good on your fitreps.

As for the crew mentality, you are absolutely correct: pilot, copilot, crew chief and aerial observer/2nd gunner working as a team - along with the grunt commander hooked on the ICS and keeping him informed.

There are some jet guys here and they can tell you more about their side - I am sure they will have some interesting things to say as well.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As 46Driver said, most of the "B-billets" are the same. Helo bubbas can IP at Primary or Advanced, whereas Jet types will usually (with the exception of some AV8B guys who needed something to do) only do Advanced. You can IP your respective FRSs in either, or do WTI instructor. Both communities have exchange tours available. Helos have a couple of slots at Task Force 160 and USAF SpecOps, as well as Royal Navy and Marines exchange. Harriers have an exchange with the Spanish Navy, and F-18s have a USAF exchange. FAC is always an option for anyone--you can almost always get it if you volunteer, and if you play your cards wrong you may GET volunteered. The Marine Corps also has billets that any officer, ground or air, can fill. OSO, recruiting duty, certain Security Forces billets, NROTC MOI, and 8th and "I" are examples.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I am not in the mood to be professional:

Jet pilots are like body shots.....quick, daring and girls love them

Herc drivers are like a beer.....bloated, slow and full of gas

Helo pilots are like Martini's......Shaken, bitter and usually have something green stuck in them

All are intoxicating but which sounds like more fun!!!

I just couldn't resist!!! Semper Fly, Frumby

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Club, whatever you choose, let me know. I’m in the same shoes (only I don’t know what my NSS will be) came into the program 100% focused on Jets, but the more I learn, the more I lean towards helos. I was the offensive lineman in HS, not the QB. Just the life style sounds more up my alley…I’ve heard a lot of stories about sleeping under the helo out in the middle of third-world-land. I haven’t heard too many stories about an F-18 guy camping out under his Jet.

This one was too good not to pass on. It came from one of the sim guys, obviously a retired jet Marine. “Flying Helos is a little like masturbating, both are really fun while you’re doing it, but you’re always a little embarrassed afterwards.”

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ Boning a fat girl is like riding a moped...it's fun while you're there but you don't want any of your friends to know.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Like body shots...leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you feel horrible the next day!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Big worm,
I have got to remeber that one. I damn near fell over!!! Frumby

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Hey, I can’t take credit for that one. Just an off-topic piece of advice, whenever you get to the sims, take some time to ask those guys questions. The average profile is 20 years in the military, and then another 20 as a simulator instructor – they’ve seen it all + have some interesting stories.

The_Goat

I'm paraphrasing but Clubjdh said everyone over 54 gets jets. What does over 54 mean? I know it's off the subject but I would appreciate a reply.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
There are a few other posts all about it, do a search if you want the nitty gritty. But basically they translate your grade into some sort of outdated statistical bell curve based on the last 100 or so people. 50=average student, 60=above average, 70=superhuman, 40=bottom feeder, 30=probably going to attrite.
Don’t bother worrying about how they figure it out, it’s a waist of time. Just strive to become a professional pilot, and everything will fall into place.

clubjdh

Well, looks like the "Jet Draft" of Marine pilots might be drawing to a close very soon. There were 4 spots, yes, 1-2-3-4 spots for all of the 5 VT's into going jets..squadronmates of mine(Navy side) got two of them with a 64 and 58. Not sure about the other squadrons, but VT-2 knocked 6 points off the final NSS's of those guys. I know we have a tendency to shed a few points due to supposed "nice instructors" but the whole thing just makes my Math-For-Marines brain hurt. And an FYI, for those of you that don't know about it, there is a Fleet Fly In later this week with fleet platforms galore at South Park from the 7th to the 10th. I've pretty much decided that I'm going that direction (for those that have been on this post) and truly appreciate the additional info I've gotten here. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.