• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC flight school process

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmied

OCS 188 Air
I hope this is the right place to ask this question, this is my first thread, yippee. I know I am getting ahead of myself, I just got in to OCS 188 air but would like to know how it works after TBS. Is it the same as the Navy or even combined with Navy? From what I’ve read there is IFS (don’t know what that really is), then does it go API then Primary (or is that the same as API?), then Intermediate and then Advanced? What is the average stint at each? How is life there? With that I mean do you still live on base, do you have the evenings to yourself, can you have personal effects, etc? If anyone is already in the pipeline or knows about it, please shoot me an answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Reactions: E5B

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
IFS is a basic introduction to flying. You'll fly C-152's, Piper Cherokee, or some other small civilian type at a local airfield. You'll get just enough hours to complete a couple of solos and maybe a solo cross crountry. The rest of your flight training will be combined with Navy studs. You'll go to API in P'cola which will get you thinking about navigation, aerodynamics, aircraft systems, basic survival, etc. 6 weeks is all it should take you. Then off to Primary to fly T-34's, T-6's, or tweets with the AirForce. I made it through in about 12 weeks, some will take a little longer, others will finish in as little as 10 (how long did it take you AirWinger?). Then it's off to selection and helo's, props, or jets. The jet program is now combined Intermediates/Advanced called Total Syllabus. Probably takes about 14-18 months flying T-45 C's in Meridian or T-45 A's in Kingsville (which should be getting Charlie models with the glass cockpit any day now). As far as helo's and props, ask one of them.

Congrats and good luck!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Oh and another thing. API sucks. A lot of info in a short amount of time. You'll probably study more than you've ever studied before. I'm an idiot so I studied from the moment I got in from class until bed time, 5 days a week. Primary isn't quite so bad, although most phases are extremely front loaded, so you'll study a lot initially during ground school, but it'll taper off as you go along. Intermediate/Advanced is the same thing. A lot of studying initially, then just a little as you go along. Later stages you usually have a good grasp on the systems knowledge, you'll just be studying procedures for the phase you're in and refreshing what you already know. You'll have learned what study skills work best for you which will really streamline the time required to prepare for a flight.

schmied

OCS 188 Air
JBoomer, thanks! This was exactly the info I was looking for. It seems I have a very, very long road ahead (~2.5 years) before winging unless you meant intermediate/ advanced is 14-18 weeks instead of months. Either way, as long as I'm flying I don't really mind the wait for the wings.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
schmied said:
I hope this is the right place to ask this question, this is my first thread, yippee. I know I am getting ahead of myself, I just got in to OCS 188 air but would like to know how it works after TBS. Is it the same as the Navy or even combined with Navy? From what I’ve read there is IFS (don’t know what that really is), then does it go API then Primary (or is that the same as API?), then Intermediate and then Advanced? What is the average stint at each? How is life there? With that I mean do you still live on base, do you have the evenings to yourself, can you have personal effects, etc? If anyone is already in the pipeline or knows about it, please shoot me an answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

You'll go through all phases of flight school with Navy, USAF, USCG and random international studs. As far as the "how is Life" question well, after TBS you'll be happy with almost anything. Like Boomer said, API has some long study days for the first 4 weeks. Then in primary the hardest thing was memorizing the forty something EP's that the T-34C has (if you go that route). Life is good in flight school (compared to TBS). API is very structured and you have times and places to be at, but Primary/Advanced both have a flight schedule that comes out daily and if you're aren't on the sked then you have the day off (which pretty much means study). If you have a family you can live in base-housing, otherwise you can live in the BOQ or out in town with buds. I know how you feel, I had a lot of the same questions. If you have more, or don't understand something don't hesitate to ask, this site has a lot of experience on it.....

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
14-18 MONTHS! I started API in November (week after the ball) of 2002. I'm now 4-5 months out from winging (knock on wood). That's late March/April 2006. It's probably 4 months shorter for the TS guys, give or take a couple of months. The jet road is the LONG road!

Merlin

Merlin
What to study before API??

I have the Jesperson private pilot books. Would this be something wise to study or is it completely different there? Also, would it be in my best interest to invest some money in private lessons before I start? What was the most difficult topic durring API? All comments are greatly appreciated.

Merlin :confused:

NavyOCS

When you say that life in flight school is good compared to TBS...What does that mean? Would you say that life in flight school is good compared to life in college or life as a civilian doing some intro management job after college? Your scaring me man.

peanut3479

pilot
The Jeppesen book is a good start for studying. If you've got a lot of time until flight school, pick up the Instrument/Commercial book, too. Those will give you a good foundation for what's taught at API and flight school. API is just like everything else though in that they'll teach you everything you need to know while you're there; every test question comes straight from the pubs - no surprises. If you still have to do IFS, don't spend your own money on lessons - let the Navy/Marine Corps pick up the tab. Once you go through IFS, spend the extra bucks and get your PPL if you have time.

Life is indeed a lot better in Pensacola that is was at TBS - about 90% of that improvement comes from making money on BAH as opposed to living in O'Bannon. It's a lot like college, but with a lot more studying and a lot less forgiveness if you screw something up. Don't worry about life in flight school until you're (almost) done w/ TBS.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
How do you think the lessons/study guides on Microsoft flight sim are? what else do I need to study?

Status
Not open for further replies.