• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Flight Physical

alphaape06

Here is a complete overview of how my flight physical went. I writing this details account in hopes that it will answer any possible question that an applicant may have. So forgive the length. I am no expert, but if this post does not answer your questions please feel free to pm me or post on the board. There are years and years of experience on here so it definitely has been answered or will be answered.
My flight physical was in Key West. As we came and left the island there were F-18sflying everywhere. That got my blood pumping a little bit. We were told to not drink or eat for at least 12 hours before the physical. I didn’t eat or drink anything the entire day before fearing I would come in overweight at the weigh in. DO NOT DO THIS. This came back to haunt me. Swanee gave me great advise regarding weight for USMC. Just like he said the two are not connected at all. As a matter of fact they didn’t even weigh me during my flight physical. I am 5’9 186.8 so I was just being overly caution in case they decided to change up the weight regulations and start dinging folks for being a couple of pounds over the USMC weight standards.
My flight physical began at 0700. The first station was UA and blood. Remember how I said that the whole not drinking anything the day before would come back to haunt me? I was only able to fill the cup 1/8 of the way. Keep in mind the cups are rather small. I was severely dehydrated. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to buy a gallon of water the night before. I had planned on rehydrating on the way back home. The water definitely came in handy later on that day!
Next was the eye exam. This is another reason you want to at least be somewhat hydrated. The lack of moisture can negatively affect your test. It was by far the hardest eye exam I have ever taken. Not because it was inherently difficult, but it was because I was extremely nervous. On the way down our OSA was talking about a candidate who was dinged for vision. This same candidate got a 20/20 at meps. But if you can see, and you know you can don’t sweat this. It like Meps but a little more involved. The only difference was the dept perception test. When I went to Meps I had to look through the scope and determine which dot was closer. This was difficult for me and apparently everyone no matter the level of vision. During the flight physical they use 3D glasses and a book. This made it 100x easier. Before I could complete the full exam the doc put the dilation drops in my eyes and told me to go to the dentist and come back since the drops would take a few of minutes to work.
At the dental station they take an X-ray of you head and do a complete dental exam. GO GET YOUR CAVITIES FIXED BEFORE YOU GO. This will indeed ground you. It almost grounded me. But I literally had a dentist appointment a few days later to get them filled. So the dentist signed off on it. The dentist I had was extremely understanding. However, I doubt this is the norm. I just explained to him that this is my last shot and he signed off on it. I got them filled and faxed him the paper work the following wee. No matter the size get them done before you go. Mine were extremely small and it still was an issue. He said something about heads exploding in mid air….I dunno. So back to the eye doctor I went. I don’t know if he forgot he dilated my pupils or what but he puts more drops in my eyes. BRING SUNGLASSES. This saved my life. As a matter of fact I had to wear them to work the next couple of days. I called back a few days after the physical and was told that this is normal and it takes some folks a week before they are able to refocus.
Got chest X-rays, an EKG and anthropometric measurements. An X-ray is an X-ray is an X-ray. During the EKG they strap sensors to you to see if your heart has any abnormalities. I was still a little nervous so my heart was pounding harder than usual. The assistant said that was a good thing. So I guess my advice is to stay nervous during your exam and you will do ok. To get my antrho measurements they measured my sitting height and the length of my limbs to determine which cockpit would suit me.
The last thing you are supposed to do is see a flight doc. He said I was good to go pending blood work. However, my excitement was short lived. One of the assistants informed me that trace amount of protein were found in my urine. Once the whole not drinking water thing came back to haunt me! My pee was way too concentrated. And the fact that I had a little personal time with my girlfriend before I left did not help. I say this with all seriousness don’t jack off or have sex for a couple of days before your physical. And lay off the protein shakes a week before. I was told this will also negatively affect your UA. It took 3 UAs, 3 hours, and a half gallon of water before I received a positive result.
All in all, it was a great experience. I am honored I had to privilege to do it. Not many people do. If you are a man/woman of God pray, pray, pray!!! I can personally attest that God can make a way out of no way. I should have been grounded a couple of times during my flight physical but I personally believe the prayers gave me a little divine bump. I can not wait for the next step in this process!

nukon

pilot
So back to the eye doctor I went. I don’t know if he forgot he dilated my pupils or what but he puts more drops in my eyes. BRING SUNGLASSES. This saved my life. As a matter of fact I had to wear them to work the next couple of days. I called back a few days after the physical and was told that this is normal and it takes some folks a week before they are able to refocus. . .

. And the fact that I had a little personal time with my girlfriend before I left did not help. I say this with all seriousness don’t jack off or have sex for a couple of days before your physical.

Two comments:
1. They give you pretty sick Doc Ock/Terminator-esque rollable shades to wear after the dilation.
32292_10152345053635160_1912183387_n.jpg

2. FWIW, I had some "alone time" in the hotel room the night before and my piss was totally fine.

djj34

pilot
I had mine at Miramar and it was an absolute mess. Most of the staff had no idea what to do with us surprised me, considering the amount of physicals that must be processed where the 3MAW is located. But I don't know anything about that.

As for the sweet roll-up shades, it reminded me of something Will I Am would wear. Terminator works, too, but I'm not quite as bulky as Ahnold. Man, that day was bright, now that I look back to it. The shades and hood didn't help much :D

268118_1982155227068_6322888_n.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I had mine at Miramar and it was an absolute mess. Most of the staff had no idea what to do with us surprised me, considering the amount of physicals that must be processed where the 3MAW is located. But I don't know anything about that.

As for the sweet roll-up shades, it reminded me of something Will I Am would wear. Terminator works, too, but I'm not quite as bulky as Ahnold. Man, that day was bright, now that I look back to it. The shades and hood didn't help much :D

268118_1982155227068_6322888_n.jpg

Less Will I Am and more Unabomber. .

Cfr0409

Thank you very much for this thorough post! I am going for my flight physical for the Navy in a few weeks. I was curious about the x=rays and you answered that for me! Also, I wanted to know if I need to get my cavity filled and you also helped me with that. I laughed extremely hard at the "he said something about head exploding in mid-air" comment. Anyways, thanks for the help!

ONE MORE QUESTION though: do you know what they are testing for when they look at your blood work? All I know so far is HIV and cholesterol. Anything else?

Thank you!

alphaape06

Thank you very much for this thorough post! I am going for my flight physical for the Navy in a few weeks. I was curious about the x=rays and you answered that for me! Also, I wanted to know if I need to get my cavity filled and you also helped me with that. I laughed extremely hard at the "he said something about head exploding in mid-air" comment. Anyways, thanks for the help!

ONE MORE QUESTION though: do you know what they are testing for when they look at your blood work? All I know so far is HIV and cholesterol. Anything else?

Thank you!

I know they measure glucose and screen for sickle cell but other than that I don't know. You might be better off posing this question in the Doc's Corner section.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Always make sure you are hydrated.

I had mine down in Pensacola 2yrs ago when I applied for SNFO. When I got my eyes checked, I was correctable to 20/20 so the doc cleared me for SNA and almost got me a prescription for glasses. He told me to wait in the lobby while they get them ready. I was kinda confused but I followed instructions. 10 minutes later and he came back apologizing and thought I had already been through OCS. I wasn't expecting to get any free glasses but, heck if they were going to, why not I thought?

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
The funniest part about the experience though was after our first day of exams, the doc told us to hold off on any alcohol or tobacco until 1700 in case they needed us to come back. There was a group of 5 or so of us in a hotel room watching ESPN. Once the clock on there struck 5pm, almost everybody got out their can of chew and put a dip in.

bgrams429

Hope this thread is still valid, but... what kind of body comp do they look for for fixed-wing pilot (i.e. Av-B8, F/A-18)? I know I can ace the physical minus the uncertainty that I may be too tall at 6' 3"...

p.s. thanks for all the info this is awesome

Renegade One

None
We were told to not drink or eat for at least 12 hours before the physical. I didn’t eat or drink anything the entire day before fearing I would come in overweight at the weigh in. DO NOT DO THIS. This came back to haunt me...
I think the caution "do not drink" means alcohol. Hydration os a good thing…as OP explains.

The "no eating" is usually tied to a "fasting blood glucose" test. That's fairly normal. For several years in my time, the Navy also requested "no alcohol for 72 hours" prior to the Flight Physical. That seemed to be pretty short-lived…maybe it's back. But I was never told not to hydrate (drink normal amounts of fluids, especially water).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hope this thread is still valid, but... what kind of body comp do they look for for fixed-wing pilot (i.e. Av-B8, F/A-18)? I know I can ace the physical minus the uncertainty that I may be too tall at 6' 3"...

p.s. thanks for all the info this is awesome

We don't have Av-B8s in the inventory. AV-8Bs are a different story.

Don't be overweight (that's more a a USMC wide thing). There are taller dudes than you flying jets.