• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC fighter jet availability and commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If you want people to take you seriously you really need to fix your spelling and grammar. This is likely to wind up like your last thread.

That said, everyone goes to OCS except Naval Academy guys and they are very much the minority. Your major has virtually no impact on success in flight school in my experience. Most guys were involved in some kind of sport but you don't need to be an olympian. Finally, it is perfectly fine to hope to fly jets and set that as your goal, but you need to keep in mind that most guys do not get jets and the selection is based on the needs of the Marine Corps. It will rub people the wrong way that you only care about flying "fighter jets" and describe yourself as "future ace" in your profile. Your goal should be to a Marine officer first, pilot second, and jet pilot third.

Edit: too late it, it already turned out like the last thread

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Edit: too late it, it already turned out like the last thread
Yeah but ... yeah but ... you, however, have shown yourself to be a Gentleman and a sharing, caring person ....

Are you SURE you're a Marine ... and a life-taker & heart-breaker ... and from Texas ???

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yeah but ... yeah but ... you, however, have shown yourself to be a Gentleman and a sharing, caring person ....

Are you SURE you're a Marine ... and a life-taker & heart-breaker ... and from Texas ???

I am all of those things, but I'm not a "high performance fighter jet pilot", just an unglamorous attack replacement pilot

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There is no formula for what will get you into the cockpit of a fighter jet. I know folks from all walks of life, and all backgrounds, who have made it here. Persistence, hard work, and some luck are all involved.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you want people to take you seriously you really need to fix your spelling and grammar. This is likely to wind up like your last thread.

That said, everyone goes to OCS except Naval Academy guys and they are very much the minority. Your major has virtually no impact on success in flight school in my experience. Most guys were involved in some kind of sport but you don't need to be an olympian. Finally, it is perfectly fine to hope to fly jets and set that as your goal, but you need to keep in mind that most guys do not get jets and the selection is based on the needs of the Marine Corps. It will rub people the wrong way that you only care about flying "fighter jets" and describe yourself as "future ace" in your profile. Your goal should be to a Marine officer first, pilot second, and jet pilot third.

Edit: too late it, it already turned out like the last thread

Just for S&G's, ROTC guys don't go to OCS in the Navy.

ea6b

Banned
USMC pilot service commitment ?

hey guys, i have a legitament question concerning the service commitment of a pilot in the Marine corps. i am well aware of the 96 month commitment when you select jets and the 72 months you're required to endure with helo's, however is there any options that exist for these pilots in wich they are not obligated to active duty? perhaps switching to reserves or something less demanding of that nature.

im not inquiring in anticipation of this however i am interested in my options (naturaly) and i know some of you guys are the experts. thanks, nick.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
hey guys, i have a legitament question concerning the service commitment of a pilot in the Marine corps. i am well aware of the 96 month commitment when you select jets and the 72 months you're required to endure with helo's, however is there any options that exist for these pilots in wich they are not obligated to active duty? perhaps switching to reserves or something less demanding of that nature.

im not inquiring in anticipation of this however i am interested in my options (naturaly) and i know some of you guys are the experts. thanks, nick.

Do you have any idea how close you probably are to getting banned?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Are you sure that you even want to be a military aviator? All your questions seem to be about how to NOT be active duty...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
shift_key.jpg

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot

well i know several people, including myself, who would love to "endure" helos if we are lucky enough to get picked up for sna. just doesnt seem like a great attitude to go in with

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
enduring helo's

Well Nick,
To answer your question, I just winged last week and will currently be "enduring helo's" for the next six years of my life....on active duty. They don't have the time or money to spend on you like they do in flight school just to put you in the reserves.
Semper Fi,
-The Brick-

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
I think only illegitimate questions are answered on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.