• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Air Contracts still possible?

SeaBoundRhino

I thought this was America
pilot
I understand that Marine air contracts ebb and flow much like the tides, and right now they are low on the need side for aviators. However, I am very enthusiastic about becoming a Naval Aviator and am putting in my application for a Marine air slot. My PFT is teetering around a 290 and I graduate May 2011 with an B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. I am hoping to get an air slot for either next summer or next October. If any has any info on when Marines are going to be taking air contracts again that would be great!

AirGrunt15

pilot
I understand that Marine air contracts ebb and flow much like the tides, and right now they are low on the need side for aviators. However, I am very enthusiastic about becoming a Naval Aviator and am putting in my application for a Marine air slot. My PFT is teetering around a 290 and I graduate May 2011 with an B.S. in Aerospace Engineering. I am hoping to get an air slot for either next summer or next October. If any has any info on when Marines are going to be taking air contracts again that would be great!

Your local OSO will have the most up to date info on this. I think there is one in Minneapolis; look him up and find out. Keep your PFT above 290 and knock out a good score on the ASTB and you should be on his short list if an OCC air slot opens up.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I'm already a Navy OCS SNA select, but I just got a call from my USMC OSO saying that they are checking in with the Air Contracts they had on hold because they have a June class opening up. (Sadly, I had to tell him that I have been selected for the Navy). So, good luck to all you USMC air contracts and get your PFT scores up.

JTB7

I am a 4/c freshman at NROTC right now and going to apply for an air contract soon, are the flight contracts based more on time, like would a lot be open for FY2014-2015(because I am a freshman applying early) or is everyone applying for the same air contracts in general?

LMA1085

Hey All,

I started my application in Jan of 2010 with my physical and then my asvab. I scored a 75 on the asvab, which mentally qualifies me for aviation. The next step was to study up for the astb but then I was told to work up on my pft instead of the astb. I was originally told october for Occ 204 but then I was told Jan. Jan had no opening for aviation. Recently My OSA told me that June has aviation slots opened up. Has anyone else heard that? I also have to work towards my pft. I have been running and working on my pullups. My pull ups are not that great. My run time is getting there. Im 6'2 215lbs. I was told to drop weight because it will be more favorable towards my application. To generalize everything, Has everyone else heard about june being good to go for pilot slots? and what will be the necessary amount of time to work up towards a decent pft. I think two months would be enough if i bust my hump. Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Luis

jtmedli

pilot
Hey All,

I started my application in Jan of 2010 with my physical and then my asvab. I scored a 75 on the asvab, which mentally qualifies me for aviation. The next step was to study up for the astb but then I was told to work up on my pft instead of the astb.

Huh? The ASVAB has nothing to do with qualifying you for aviation. If you took the SAT/ACT at any point in time you shouldn't even be taking the ASVAB.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Huh? The ASVAB has nothing to do with qualifying you for aviation. If you took the SAT/ACT at any point in time you shouldn't even be taking the ASVAB.

You're required to take it if you scored below a certain number on the SAT (1000 under the old system).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Hey All,

The next step was to study up for the astb but then I was told to work up on my pft instead of the astb

Why not do both? Also, for someone who is 6'2", 214lbs is the limit. It depends some on your body type, but slimming down would probably be a good idea.

LMA1085

Thanks Treetop, Im already studying for the Astb. I need to schedule my pft. But i need to get those pullups going. I read about armstrong pullup work out. How long before I see results if you guys dont mind me asking?

-L

skiptomahlouie

Hey LMA1085,

I saw results probably a month after doing the armstrong pull-up program. On my first PFT, I did 12 pull-ups. A month after, I was doing 17-18. Now I can do 25 no problem. People told me that pull-ups were the easiest to improve on, but I didn't believe it.

ccxc

Just got word from my OSO that there are going to be air conctracts for OCC-207, which is the June class. I have finished all the paperwork and medical exams as well as scored a 285 on PFT, which will be 300 soon, and a 5/6/5 on the ASTB. I am super pumped anybody else getting ready for the possibility for this?

mcowles85

Affirmative. I'm out of the Austin, TX office and was told the same thing a few weeks back. Right now I'm awaiting my ASTB results.

ccxc

Yeah I am hoping it sticks. I have a pretty good package: Successful NCAA DI college athlete, NCAA DI college coach, and masters degree. I am hoping that will hold a lot of weight, which was just to name a few. Any thoughts?

mcowles85

cc, I'm not an OSO, nor have I ever sat on the selection boards, so I don't have the credentials to give you a fair answer. That being said, those things definitely can't hurt you. From what I understand, the boards look at the "whole person" concept, so anything that helps you look like a more well-rounded individual is a plus.