• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Air Contracts still possible?

USMCZ06

"Stranger"
CJT2525,

I'm not sure how everything works as far as age as concerned. I'm sure the 27 1/2 rule at the time of commissioning rule probably still applies, but I'm not sure. Go to your local OSO for more info on that and the PLC-Grad program in general. When I go into work tomorrow I will try to get more answers for all of you on the PLC Grad program.

-James

USMCZ06

"Stranger"
jlil41,

As one of the OSAs told me in the office, you must be accepted in grad school or currently in grad school to be eligible for the program. The 27 1/2 age rule still applies at the time of commissioning. Age is waiverable on the ground side, but very unlikely/nearly impossible on the air side. My PTAD term with the OSO has ended and I am back down in Pensacola, so I will try to answer as many questions as I can.

-James

DenaliDrew

Aspiring pilots, keep in mind that you will probably go to a ground MOS school prior to primary. I'm in Delta at TBS right now ( fighting for one of those competitive air spots) and most pilots are getting sent to Infantry Officer School, Comm School or linguists school due to the 13 month back log. It is also pretty much assured that you will deploy as one of those MOS before you go to flight school. This is coming from our Company XO. So, one way or another, whether you are a ground or air contract, you will be getting some ground experience. I say go for the gamble. It's competitive as hell to get a flight spot to begin with. I agree with the others saying you are a Marine officer first. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with coming in ground and running down an air contract.

AndyK03

as for the age waiver, it may be nearly impossible but I secured one for PLC-air. I will be 28 in January and about 28 1/2 for commissioning. I assume prior service was working in my favor, but I wouldn't let poor odds stop you.

pwdbyhrses

Aspiring pilots, keep in mind that you will probably go to a ground MOS school prior to primary. I'm in Delta at TBS right now ( fighting for one of those competitive air spots) and most pilots are getting sent to Infantry Officer School, Comm School or linguists school due to the 13 month back log. It is also pretty much assured that you will deploy as one of those MOS before you go to flight school. This is coming from our Company XO. So, one way or another, whether you are a ground or air contract, you will be getting some ground experience. I say go for the gamble. It's competitive as hell to get a flight spot to begin with. I agree with the others saying you are a Marine officer first. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with coming in ground and running down an air contract.

How many air slots does Delta have (NFO and SNA?)

USMCZeus

Keep in mind that word changes often on what we are going to do between TBS and flight school. I've heard of a bunch of guys in Bravo that thought they were going to some kind of ground school that are actually going straight to Pcola.

I'm in Delta as well; I figure we're not going to have any solid word till a week or so before graduation in Nov.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Keep in mind that word changes often on what we are going to do between TBS and flight school. I've heard of a bunch of guys in Bravo that thought they were going to some kind of ground school that are actually going straight to Pcola.

I'm in Delta as well; I figure we're not going to have any solid word till a week or so before graduation in Nov.
Does it seem like the problem is getting solved, or do they anticipate many of the future classes having the same manpower/scheduling issues?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Does it seem like the problem is getting solved, or do they anticipate many of the future classes having the same manpower/scheduling issues?

I know it's not going to matter to guys at TBS right now, because you're knee deep in the rumor mill and the infallible gospel from the XOs mouth, but the backlog is getting soaked up really well right now by the primary squadrons. I'm willing to bet that all those long term pre-API assignments get shut down sooner than later.

chefmike

How does it work for the Boat School wanna be Marine pilots? Do they have a "contract" at service selection where if they pass each phase post grad training at an acceptable level (ie TBS etc..) they get a slot in the pipeline?

Reconjoe

It is also pretty much assured that you will deploy as one of those MOS before you go to flight school.
Who gave you an assurance that all SNA's will deploy before flight school? Bad Gouge...

The only SNA's that will deploy before flight school are the ones who specifically volunteer for the combo ground school/deployment (IE the 17 or so Alpha grads who went to IOC FULLY KNOWING that they were also volunteering for a deployment). Everyone else who was sent to do a ground MOS school while waiting are not deploying unless it was specified when they were asked to pick. The Alpha linguists already know they will be in PCola by Late January with tentative API start dates.

In other words, dont go thinking big red is going to ship you away for a while without you fully agreeing/volunteering for it.