• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Useless aviation knowledges/Helo NATOPS Potpourri for $200 Alex

Pags

N/A
pilot
I asked the Sirkorksy engineers at the factory why the Blade fold box is still the same straight up electrical relays and fairly simple logic from the OG Bravo. Answer: We offered to upgrade it but they Navy didn’t want to pay. So we kept making the same box. ??‍♂️
The BFTS/cheater box or the blade fold panel in the cockpit?

My experience was that most BF issues on the 60 stemmed from poor/lazy maintenance and bad microswitches then a poor design.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
They also don't have a rotor brake, so I imagine they were impressed by how quickly you can shutdown.
Army H-60Ms...sporting rotor brakes for 12 years now. But the great thing is that even though it's been less than a year since my last shipboard landing, I haven't needed to shut down on a ship in 25 years. :p

Attachments

• HMS Ocean Rotorbrake.jpg
    HMS Ocean Rotorbrake.jpg
    958.6 KB · Views: 18

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Conversation between JO and good-dude Super-JO during HAC board prep...

JO: So I know one scenario is landing on a foreign ship and then finding a popped corner fastener. I know there's several different answers to this.

Super JO: You know what's right, which is important, but you know what makes sense, too. Besides, why are you looking back there anyway? There's times to check that and there's other times not to.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
So...what about that -60 T700-401C HMU “ball valve” thing?

Is that considered useless knowledge yet?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3b1epi.jpg

kejo

pilot
Conversation between JO and good-dude Super-JO during HAC board prep...

JO: So I know one scenario is landing on a foreign ship and then finding a popped corner fastener. I know there's several different answers to this.

Super JO: You know what's right, which is important, but you know what makes sense, too. Besides, why are you looking back there anyway? There's times to check that and there's other times not to.
I wanna say we squashed the popped corner fastener bullshit in my last squadron, but like herpes I don't think it ever really goes away...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The BFTS/cheater box or the blade fold panel in the cockpit?

My experience was that most BF issues on the 60 stemmed from poor/lazy maintenance and bad microswitches then a poor design.

Cockpit. The actual logic box is just basic 1970s electrical relays and logic. Agreed, a well groomed system that's used often will be fine. We wouldn't hesitate to pull a blade and replace a wonky fold motor if it was a boat liability.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I wanna say we squashed the popped corner fastener bullshit in my last squadron, but like herpes I don't think it ever really goes away...
Luckily fasteners don't show up in IVHMS downloads. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your perspective, you can't lie about caution or advisory lights coming on "just as you were about to land."