• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG flight school questions (stupid & otherwise)

Brunes

pilot
You quesiton about "fixed wing aviation" is really general- so if you want to ask more specific stuff- HercDriver and a few others will prolly chime in with all you want to know.

AE is pretty right. It is possible to get a slot right out of OCS. If that doesn't pan out...you get a commission and if you don't do any of the big career killers (DUI, Inappropriate Relationships, Felonies, etc) and work at it just a little but- you've got a pretty good chance at getting picked up for a flight slot in three boards.

That being said- GETTING the slot is not the hard part and like every one of these threads- Being a Coast Guard officer is your first job- being a pilot is just part of that.

Good luck and shoot any more questions you've got!!

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
PM me and I'll get you my work number to chat about CG flying.

I'm guessing you have more questions than this thread can handle. :D

socalvet

A few flight school questions

I have read a few times on various websites that it is possible to get selected for flight school out of OCS. Also, that if not selected at OCS you can continue to apply for the boards about twice a year or so. My questions for the Coasties on this forum are:

What seems to be the trend as far as the backgrounds of candidates getting selected out of OCS? (flight hours, PPL, good performance at OCS, etc.)

For anyone who was selected after OCS, how long did it take you to get selected?

How many boards did you apply for before going to flight school?

For officers being selected for flight school after OCS, is it pretty common for it to happen in the first few boards or so.

After being selected, how long was it before actually beginning flight school?

The reason for all the timing questions is because I am currently 28 and if I was fortunate enough to be selected for OCS, I know I would have limited time to be eligible for flight school if not selected during OCS because of my age. As of now, you must start flight school no later than your 31st birthday (I believe), correct me if i'm wrong. If selected by the next board that I am eligible for, I wouldn't start OCS until right after I turned 29, which would give me a year and a half or so to begin flight school if not selected out of OCS.

I just want to know the reality of accomplishing what I want to do in the time I am allowed. I have been researching the different commissioning programs of the different branches along with their missions to find the best fit for me as a commissioned officer. So far I like what I have found out about the Coast Guard and it's missions.

I know that the CG does not guarentee flight school before going to OCS like some of the other branches, so I know I would have to go in open minded incase I am not selected while I am eligible, but with that said, aviation would definately be my goal. So is there a pretty descent chance of this happening?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice/replies.

Brunes

pilot
I'm not OCS...but I am in flight school with a few folks who reported direct from training.

I can't speak to the "in general" background that will help you get into flight from OCS- Two of the three that reported with me were CSPI, one was prior aircrew. As with any training program- Hard work while you are there and a consistent desire will play well for you.

I haven't heard of any officer applying to more than 3 boards and not getting picked up (barring a fraternatization, DUI, drugs, etc career ending type event)- so roughly a year and a half.

If you get assigned to flight from OCS- Expect not more than 30 days until you have to report to Pensacola- and then a variable wait time (2 weeks to 3-4 months) depending on class load and budget. If you get selected from your assignment after OCS (like a boat or shore unit) you work with them to select a date. My name was on the board message in Dec and I didn't report until Jun from my boat...

Again- I'm NOT an authority in OCS career paths- but this stuff should ring pretty true and when taken with anything else posted should be pretty close....GOOD LUCK!!!!

UglyTucco

Helo Pilot Chances

Hey everybody, i was just wondering what the percentage of helo pilots that go civvie to ocs was in USCG. Are most pilots Academy graduates and DCA's? Im just trying to evaluate the chances of getting an aviation slot. Coast Guard's what I really want, so I want to go for it first, not transfer from Navy, Army, etc... Does CG have a guaranteed aviation slot through OCS like Navy besides Blue21?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Hey everybody, i was just wondering what the percentage of helo pilots that go civvie to ocs was in USCG. Are most pilots Academy graduates and DCA's? Im just trying to evaluate the chances of getting an aviation slot. Coast Guard's what I really want, so I want to go for it first, not transfer from Navy, Army, etc... Does CG have a guaranteed aviation slot through OCS like Navy besides Blue21?

There are no guaranteed pilot slots through OCS. Blue 21 is the only program that will guarantee a pilot slot and most schools don't qualify for it.

Helo slots used to be harder to come by over the past few years due to the fixed wing fleet "boosting up" their pilot numbers in preparation for the HC-144 coming on line. From what I hear, things seem to be evening out and everyone is getting what they are asking for coming out of flight school. So should you make it to flight school, your chances of getting helo's looks decent.

My recommendation is before you get serious about pursuing the Coast Guard, be ready to accept the fact that there is no guarantee you will fly helo's (or fly anything for that matter) and that you may find yourself in another pipeline that the Coast Guard offers for their officers. If you are willing to accept that, you've passed the first test.

m26

Contributor
Frequent Punctuation Mistakes in College Papers
Tips on Proofreading and Editing Academic Essays

Semicolons are stronger than commas, but weaker than periods. They separate two clauses that could, normally, stand in separation. Moreover, semicolons are used when the first clause in explained or elaborated on by the clause which follows it.

Great source... ;)

Brunes

pilot
There are no guaranteed pilot slots through OCS. Blue 21 is the only program that will guarantee a pilot slot and most schools don't qualify for it.

Helo slots used to be harder to come by over the past few years due to the fixed wing fleet "boosting up" their pilot numbers in preparation for the HC-144 coming on line. From what I hear, things seem to be evening out and everyone is getting what they are asking for coming out of flight school. So should you make it to flight school, your chances of getting helo's looks decent.

My recommendation is before you get serious about pursuing the Coast Guard, be ready to accept the fact that there is no guarantee you will fly helo's (or fly anything for that matter) and that you may find yourself in another pipeline that the Coast Guard offers for their officers. If you are willing to accept that, you've passed the first test.

+1 to the be sure you want to be a Coast Guard officer first...because LOTS of things can happen.

The most recent selection took about 22 folks in various stages of primary and gave them ALL what they wanted. (Read- Everyone who hadn't already said "I want Fixed Wing" got helos).

The push to make fixed wing aviators has resulted in fixed wing bases with 120% of their pilot allowances and the speed of the Ocean Sentry roll out has left lots of those guys/gals with very little to do.

I think the bottom line is- once you are sure you want to be part of the Coast Guard...Show up and work hard and things should work out. And if you get flight school- Who cares what you fly?? It's Coast Guard Aviation!!

kacraven

I've been emailing a recruiter and was asking him about my options with regards to OCS/CSPI. When I asked him about the possibility of me flying, especially since my eyes are around 20/200, he said maybe I should consider the Army ... he's a recruiter .. his job is help people join the Coast Guard ... and he said join the Army ... I am crazy for thinking this is a viable route?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been emailing a recruiter and was asking him about my options with regards to OCS/CSPI. When I asked him about the possibility of me flying, especially since my eyes are around 20/200, he said maybe I should consider the Army ... he's a recruiter .. his job is help people join the Coast Guard ... and he said join the Army ... I am crazy for thinking this is a viable route?

So what are you asking? Why he suggested Army or if you are crazy to listen to him? Since it's a seller's market right now, perhaps he's only willing to spend the time with people qualified and ready to go in his service with minimum of questions asked.

kacraven

I'm just asking if I even have a shot at being a pilot in the CG when even the recruiter says look elsewhere - some other posts on this board and others seem to indicate this is definitely possible so has something changed?