• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Usafa questions

Hussain2008

Hey,

I am a 10th grader aiming to go to Usafa and I'm currently on track in terms of academics and extracurriculars, however I skipped a grade and will be 17 by February of my senior year, after the application process is over. I didn't think this was a problem until I read to apply you need to be a 17 and i would be 16 at that time.

Is their any exceptions to this rule or do I have to give up on usafa?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have lots of experience with the USNA process. My experience is you won't get a waiver. Find out who your USAFA liaison officer is. It will be on the Academy web site. He will have the answers. Start planning on going to AFA Summer Seminar. If the schedule does work for you, apply for any of the others, Navy Army, or Coast Guard. No mattet which one. It will still help you.

No need to give up on AFA due to your issue. Simply apply when you meet the requirements. And keep applying if you get turned down and still want to attend.

Good luck.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
There are midshipmen who transfer from other colleges. My roommate was one. They do get appropriate transfer credits. It still takes four years to graduate, however.
In that case, a gap year at a cool foreign university where the transfer credits don’t matter may be in order. Or a year fishing offshore in Alaska, rousting about on oil rigs, running ski lifts, studying bjj in Rio de Janeiro, etc.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not having to take as heavy a load. 15 credits sucks less than 20.
This. Given the myriad of other demands on your time, taking less credits is definitely helpful.

You could potentially also avoid taking some of the required courses (a significant amount of the USNA course load for the first few years are core courses).

In my timeframe (assume it’s the same today) USNA also let us validate out of required courses based on AP credits from high school.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Being ahead in your matrix (list of courses required to graduate in a given major) allows one to take part in a lot of good deals like study abroads and beginning graduate education as a MIDN.

I came into USNA with some college credits to my name and I thought I’d just get the QPR boost by retaking them. While I got good grades, not validating is one of my few regrets from my time at Boat School. I saw many classmates who did validate have pretty cool opportunities in their later semesters.

Hussain2008

Being ahead in your matrix (list of courses required to graduate in a given major) allows one to take part in a lot of good deals like study abroads and beginning graduate education as a MIDN.

I came into USNA with some college credits to my name and I thought I’d just get the QPR boost by retaking them. While I got good grades, not validating is one of my few regrets from my time at Boat School. I saw many classmates who did validate have pretty cool opportunities in their later semesters.
Can you clarify what you mean by validating?