• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF or USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeman02

Is training in the USN easier or harder than in the USAF, and if I wanted a Fighter slot which is the best way to go Air Force or Navy, cuz I am a dumb, dumb, really!Please respond thanks:D

ghost_ttu

I'm speaking from zero experience here, so I'll just set this up for others to confirm. But you'll have difficulty flying anything including a paper airplane if you are a dumb dumb. There is a lot of classwork that is involved in pilot training and a lot of studying. And it is continuous studying and learning (you don't just become a pilot and quit learning) So my first piece of advice is to work yourself so that you are confident in yourself, and you have confidense in your intellectual abilities. If you can't trust yourself, do you expect the government to trust you with their multi million dollar training and aircraft?

Ironnads

Just FYI. I had to choose between the USAF, Navy, and
Marine corps. When I was sworn into the Navy in Feb., the
USAF wanted a 10 year minimum commitment(2 more than the Navy)
The Marines just run to damn much. I chose the Navy and I
report to OCS 9/28/02.

Travis Alexander

Shepherd

Ironnads -
Would the 2 year extra commitment really make that much difference? I would hope the service of your country is made on a more rational decision than service obligation.

A posteriori

antisnook

Hey Shepherd is your favorite football team the Patriots?
The word "rational" is obiously different to you than for others, not just on this topic but to life in general. Patriotically speaking, and as selfish as it may seem, one may have a family that they dont want to be separated from for extended periods of time on sporatic occasions. Therefore 2 years is may be significant. This is just one example of many to think about.

Ironnads

Hey Sheperd,
I really don't see anything disgraceful about giving up 10 years of my life vs. 12 years to serve my country. I'm a CFI already and I could make way more money by getting a seniority slot with a major in the next few years. Please do not tell me what is rational when I have made an honorable decision that could cost me my life. I am also not implying that all I want to do is fly for an airline. What I do like is options vs. a 2 year longer commitment.
P.S. : Your bio and mine look a lot alike except I quit riding bulls last year after a bad crash and I'm from the great state of Texas.

Travis Alexander

mcbride_t_m

Here are a few observations from a jarhead pilot who went through both the "Air Force" (or "Chair Force" as we affectionately refer to them)and the "Navy" flight schools. I will start with the Chair, I mean Air, Force. They have a more lead you by the hand mentality. They don't give their junior officers much responsiblity. If you go USAF, they will tell you exactly what to do and when to do it. It is extremely regimented. It doesn't leave much for the imagination. In Primary, they have a cool little procedure called "Stand Up." You learn to accomplish emergency procedures on the ground while being chastized by your instructors in front of your peers. It is an effective tool to know your stuff if you hate to look like an ass. Also, for the first 23 weeks of the 24 weeks of primary, you get to stick around the squadron for 12 hours a day, and occasionally fly on Sundays. That means you get there at 0600 in the morning and don't get "secured" until 1800 (6 PM to me)at night. There are benefits to such a system. You don't have to go digging under every rock for information. It is presented to you in a nice, neat package. The Navy system is the antithesis of the Air Force system. The Navy will hand you a stack of books and say "here's the info, find it and brief it tomorrow." You may spend hours looking for a little sliver of an answer. They also are more hands off. As long as you show up prepared at brief time, you are "the man!" Don't show up prepared, well, it isn't pretty. Each system has its pros and cons. I preferred the Navy system. I appreciated being in charge of myself during my free time. My overall observations of flight officers and pilots serving in the Air Force compared to the Navy... The Air Force, and this may come as a shock, seem to be much more serious about the rules and regulations of flying. Everything seems to go by the book. The Navy is a more laid back group. Flying off a boat that cruises around the world may have something to do with it. Each service has something to offer. Try to talk to men and women serving in both branches, particularly in aviation, before you make your decision. Also consider the Marine Corps and the Army (yes, the Army has pilots, very good pilots in fact). Whatever you decide, you will be serving your country. In my book, there is no greater job in the world. Cheers.

JasonG

Some say that time away from home is much less in the AF than Navy's 6-8 month reqs post carrier/on carrier. Is this true? Quality of life is supposedly better as well in the AF, hence, "Chair" force if I am correct. I may sound like an AF advocate but I'll consider myself privledged with any service I fly for ;)

Type of aircraft may be a decisive factor as well; AF is more jets (including heavies) than Navy and Navy is more props and helos than AF. I'm guessing airframes do not really matter because according to all the "drivers" I have spoken to, you love whatever you fly.

Uniforms, do they matter? All pilots wear the famed G-suit. I know Navy and AF are both a bit different in terms of G-suits, but why discriminate?

See you guys in the blue....

Edited by - JasonG on 08/12/2002 19:18:01

Valion310

If this makes any difference, the USAFA always wins the Commander in Chiefs Trophey at the end of the foot ball season ...

Valion310 out-

Rainman

pilot
quote:
Type of aircraft may be a decisive factor as well; AF is more jets (including heavies) than Navy and Navy is more props and helos than AF.

Alright. .well I found an interesting piece of documentation in one of the squadrons at Whiting. Selectee percentages for all pilots in Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force. I gotta find some place to post this just because there are a lot of aspiring pilots on these pages who seem to ask about this--and nobody seems to know for sure. . .

Anyways,
The answer is that if you have your heart set on jets (tactical [I assume it excludes the Air Force heavies]) when going into your service, your odds are about the same==30% . .of course, this is historical (over last three fiscal years). The Air Force was something like 29.8 and the Marines and Navy were 30 and 30.5 (don't remember which was which). The Marines took the cake with a 62% helo percentage and I really don't remember the rest.

just thought it was worth noting. .for all those wanna be jet jocks out there!

Semper Fi

Mike26

quote:

Any pilot can land on 10,000 feet of runway! Join the world of the Hookers!! Nuf Said!

We use 13,000 feet at Fairchild. Have you ever work with us? we refuel a lot of you guys in 717A. I am trying to join your world as well.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Ah, I got the wonderful honor of flying a dinky little Cessna 150 through McChord airspace once. Lol All those C-17's and big jets were quite amazing from up there. :) (I can't remember what else was there... but also saw a ton of CH-47's at Gray Army Air Base nearby too.)

Just my 2 cents worth. [:p]

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

Pokabrowngirl

LBFM inspector
I am a navy guy who did T-34's in Primary and did a tour teaching T-37s for the Air Force. Many of those Air Force guys are gone as many days out of the year as any navy guy. Depends on what you are doing. If you suck, you'll make it through either and still get your helo or heavy (unless you REALLY suck, then we have a fuels officer billet for you), If you kick ass, your chances of getting a fighter in either service is probably about the same. If you are borderline good/above average, you will do better in the navy training and probably have a better chance of breaking out. The Air Force pipeline is definitely harder and certainly less fun. One advantage to the Air Force: Much, much, much less chance of you getting a helo. Go Navy!

Status
Not open for further replies.