• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF & MSM's

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's more my career field (weather) than anything else. After basic training and our tech school, I've already been in a year before I got to my first duty station. There's about 3yrs of OJT before we are even allowed to deploy. After my deployment, I did do a remote tour in Korea (so I do have additional overseas time), but I don't count that as a deployment. After I returned to the states, I had a few kids and now I'm currently at a joint headquarters which is a 3yr non-deployable billet. I would have loved more deployments and overseas time, it just didn't work out.

Maybe just your field (or maybe not), but it says something about the way that they handle it all as a service. On the USN side, I've been on active duty for almost 5 years and never deployed and you know what I'm authorized to wear? LT bars, Naval Aviator wings, and a McDonald's stain. That's it. And I don't see anything wrong with that......it would embarrass me if I rated anything else. Of course not intending this to be a slight at you or anyone else in uniform, just commentary on your parent service's mindset on the issue.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe just your field (or maybe not), but it says something about the way that they handle it all as a service. On the USN side, I've been on active duty for almost 5 years and never deployed and you know what I'm authorized to wear? LT bars, Naval Aviator wings, and a McDonald's stain. That's it. And I don't see anything wrong with that......it would embarrass me if I rated anything else. Of course not intending this to be a slight at you or anyone else in uniform, just commentary on your parent service's mindset on the issue.

I've lost track, but can't you wear the GWOT SM? Or is that done now? I regret I don't have sufficient interest to log onto NDAWS to find the answer myself.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I've lost track, but can't you wear the GWOT SM? Or is that done now? I regret I don't have sufficient interest to log onto NDAWS to find the answer myself.

The GWOT SM is like a second national defense service medal. You'd have to try really hard not to earn it.

I think at this point it is a little demoralizing to have a campaign ribbon with no end in sight.

USAF_WX2USN

Thank you for your explanation. I answered this thread to offer navyoffrec an expiation why an E8 would have so many MSM and did state earlier that I felt that the AF handed out awards and decs like gold stars at a preschool, as well as 4 of my ribbons were already deemed worthless by the Navy when I transferred over.

Which leaves me with 10 ribbons I'm allowed to wear. 8 of those are medals and out of those 8, 5 are because I in at a time if war (GWOT, GWOT-E, NSD), didn't get any article 15 (good conduct), or was in Korea, so I don't even really consider those, since I didn't do much for them. I believe I justifiably earned my achievements and soon to be comm as well as my unit ribbons I can still wear.

I'm embarrassed that I don't have either an Iraq or Afghanistan medal as we've been at war since two yrs before I came in and I never went.

I've spent my last three yrs at a joint command, working with more sailors than Airmen, which ultimately led to me pursuing a commission in the Navy. It was an eye opening experience on how other branches do stuff. I'm very proud of my last 9yrs in the AF, but cannot wait to serve out at least 11 more years as a Naval officer.

Finally, if you've been in for 5yrs, why don't you at least have a GWOT?

busdriver

None
The AF probably leads the way with ribbons and crap for very mundane things but turning the tide would be extremely difficult due to the way medals affect enlisted promotion.

Whatever, having a cool story to tell at the bar is more important anyways. The bros will sniff out bullshit.

USAF_WX2USN

The AF probably leads the way with ribbons and crap for very mundane things but turning the tide would be extremely difficult due to the way medals affect enlisted promotion.

Whatever, having a cool story to tell at the bar is more important anyways. The bros will sniff out bullshit.

You are very correct about medals affecting our enlisted promotions, which is why I'm behind the curve and partially why I'm not an E6 by now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I guess maybe I have the GWOT. Trying to be by the book so as to not look like an unprepared shitbird at our last change of command, I got one, and then after asking around, it was pretty much 50/50 whether I rated it. So I didn't wear it. Maybe I suck at reading but I didn't really see anything in the regs that confirmed that it would have been authorized for me.......and I don't care about ribbons, aside from getting called out by someone for not having one I should have. For reference, I was @ 3.5 years active prior to ever getting to the fleet, due to flight school, FRS, various extended periods of waiting between training commands, etc. Checked into my fleet squadron immediately after they got back from cruise, so that guaranteed me having the most time possible in the command prior to deploying. By the time we deploy, I will be either the 2nd or 3rd most senior JO, which will be interesting with no cruise experience.

I totally get where you are coming from USAF......not at all throwing stones at you, and you have certainly done much more for this country than I have at this point, so wear the ribbons/medals the AF authorizes you for with pride.

USAF_WX2USN

Yeah I guess maybe I have the GWOT. Trying to be by the book so as to not look like an unprepared shitbird at our last change of command, I got one, and then after asking around, it was pretty much 50/50 whether I rated it. So I didn't wear it. Maybe I suck at reading but I didn't really see anything in the regs that confirmed that it would have been authorized for me.......and I don't care about ribbons, aside from getting called out by someone for not having one I should have.

I totally get where you are coming from USAF......not at all throwing stones at you, and you have certainly done much more for this country than I have at this point, so wear the ribbons/medals the AF authorizes you for with pride.

It's authorized after 30 days of service once commission, but anyways I've enjoyed this conversation on how others do things.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yeah I guess maybe I have the GWOT. Trying to be by the book so as to not look like an unprepared shitbird at our last change of command, I got one, and then after asking around, it was pretty much 50/50 whether I rated it. So I didn't wear it.

I **** you not, my command check in sheet once literally had a check box for whether I was issued the GWOT SM yet.

afwx

Booyahkah
Due to content in this thread, if none of you heard about this, here is an article to show how the USAF has an "everyone gets an award mentality" which created a shit storm across 'ol big blue's USAFco... http://www.dyess.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123296425. This shows how our medals are watered down and gimmes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

afwx

Booyahkah
You are very correct about medals affecting our enlisted promotions, which is why I'm behind the curve and partially why I'm not an E6 by now.

You aren't the only one. I have 2 achievements and a shit slew of randoms. 3 PCS's and a deployment to Iraq but I am alright with it. I do value my Iraqi campaign medal a lot. My lack of points generating medals is a contributing factor on why I probably haven't made E6. That is okay though because the NCO corps has been diluted with fast burners who are young and lack experience which I think has a small root in some of our enlisted issues (EPRs, junior Airman getting no mentorship and becoming shitbags, etc...).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD