• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Enlisted Pilots, The Right Stuff, Stolen Bikes, AIC, and SWO pipe dreams.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Others have touched on it, but bottom line is in order to properly make operational use of flying Warrants or some other kind of LDO, O-4-for-life, whatever, Navy Air would have to pretty fundamentally restructure itself. That’s a hard sell.

The Reserves have the structure to allow the Navy to keep their saltier dudes around and in the cockpit, but it’s under-utilized. I can see several ways the Reserves could be more efficiently used, but they all cost money. And right now Big Navy doesn’t have extra investment capital lying around. Or at least, what money they do have, they’re loath to spend on ‘goddamned part-timers’.

airplane-ted-striker-elaine-dickinson-dr-rumack-cockpit-julie-hagerty-leslie-nielsen-robert-hays-review.jpg

I think what Fester is touching on is the Squadron Augment Concept (SAU) whereby a reserve component is attached to an active duty component - very common (and effective) in the training command. Navy SAU manning is on a 4 reservists to equal 1 active duty, MCRIP is on a 3 reservists to equal to 1 active duty.

It works superbly within CNATRA. These reservists become your duty experts, the flight hour funding comes from a different source and they are not clogging up the active duty scramble for EP's - while using a manpower structure we constantly have. The reservists have the flight time and experience - and generally stay in the SAU attached to the same squadron for 10 to 20 years, retiring when they hit the 28 year high year tenure. Could this concept be used for line units? Perhaps they could augment the active duty on deployments, whereby if the active duty squadron goes out for 1 year, a 16 man SAU in a 4 to make 1 ratio would deploy (flying) for 3 months - which allows the active duty to reduce manning by those 4 bodies. Would airline pilots put up with a 90 day flying deployment every 3-4 years for the chance to homestead in a flying reserve unit attached to a fleet squadron?

Fester beat me to the Airplane! quote, but have to put it in again.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This is what I was referring to earlier.
Brett, et al,

I’m curious, having not done a tour at NPC, how does the massive, convoluted beauracracy called the Navy, ramp-up to meet a projected demand for mid-grade aviators to fight what everyone says is looming on the horizon. At what point does NAVAIR leadership say: “enough with the grooming for major command, we need trigger pullers, and a lot of them.”

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I agree that we need options for keeping guys in their aircraft, but I don't think the WO is the solution for many communities.

I wholeheartedly disagree that you could replace every pilot with a warrant. Hopefully you agree that not everyone can be a Naval Aviator. It takes some level of intelligence, dedicated work ethic, hand-eye coordination, expeditious decision making ability, and the capacity to multi task while keeping SA to a multitude of things. A college degree shows that you are at least somewhat competent in the first two categories. Are there outliers? Sure. But showing that you can focus long enough to get a 4 year degree is a good indicator that you can handle the stresses and workloads of flight school, and the fleet.

The task loading put on an aviator acting as the strike lead for an Airwing strike is a lot different than on a guy whose job is to take off from point A and then go land at point B. There might be areas where the warrants would work, but there are also areas where it definitely would not.
Weird, most of the Aussies have no college degree and they fly Rhino (and the chuck truck) real good. Must be something in the water...

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Weird, most of the Aussies have no college degree and they fly Rhino (and the chuck truck) real good. Must be something in the water...

What, exactly, is your point? That we should replace all flying officers with warrants? I'm struggling to understand why you're such a big advocate of "no college degree necessary". It just seems like a red herring in this discussion.

I see the flying WO program as an experiment that didn't jive well with the way the Navy does manning. Nothing more. A warrant officer is someone who was enlisted for a long time and has a high degree of technical knowledge in a particular area. For aviation that falls into one of two places: admin or maintenance. Keeping a WO on as a leader in their area of expertise makes just as much sense as keeping pilots in ours (the Navy does an admittedly poor job of the latter by taking guys out of the cockpit). Taking an experienced, front-running maintainer and telling them "you're going to fly now", while a really cool offer, does far less to leverage that experience than placing them in a ground-based leadership position.

Last edited:

Fallonflyr

pilot
He’s implying that enlisted people are rocks...and clearly not as capabale, intelligent or as awesome as he is.
Has nothing to do with the intellect of enlisted folks or anyone else for that matter. The point I was trying to make was that the air force is looking for the fastest and cheapest way to take someone off the street and put them into fleet seats. Jesus, everyone is so fucking sensitive these days.

robav8r

None
Contributor
When the balloon goes up.
Yeah, I know, that’s kinda my point. You would think that we have enough historical perspective and 4+1 I&W to “maybe” make adjustments “before” the first airwing gets wiped out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, et al,

I’m curious, having not done a tour at NPC, how does the massive, convoluted beauracracy called the Navy, ramp-up to meet a projected demand for mid-grade aviators to fight what everyone says is looming on the horizon. At what point does NAVAIR leadership say: “enough with the grooming for major command, we need trigger pullers, and a lot of them.”
That’s a great question, but from my understanding, that would require a host of statutory changes, not mere policy adjustments. I don’t think that a system which incentivizes upward mobility and leadership opportunities is mutually exclusive with mid-grade retention. We’re experiencing a bit of a perfect storm, where airlines exert pressure at the same time that our people and platforms are operating under the duress and fatigue of our perpetual state of war.