• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAA vs others on price????

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In light of this thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138111

I recently got a quote from USAA for homeowner's insurance on my new pad. I couldn't believe that the quote was a $1366 premium that didn't include windstorm protection (required in Texas). I got a quote from Farmers Insurance that was $360 (not including windstorm). How can there be a $1,000 difference with the relatively same policies (with Farmers actually having a higher dwelling coverage limit).

Has anyone experienced this as well?

Huggy Bear

pilot
USAA...
Great company, they certainly deserve their reputation for customer service.

However, in every case I have found better rates or terms with other companies. I have been with State Farm Insurance since I was 16 and USAA can never come close to their prices and State Farm's service may actually be better (at least they always have local offices where you can see someone face to face).

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I've had quite the opposite experience. Anytime I mention USAA to another insurance company they tell me right away they probably won't be able to beat the rate. Except in my recent case when I had to switch. I would also like to know why there was such a difference in price between USAA and State Farm. Maybe USAA is trying to recover some of the lost Florida $ from other states.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in the middle of a wind damage claim with USAA. Tree came down on our deck, just missed the house. No haggling or anything. USAA initially did not even need or want to see the damage.

We did ask to have a adjuster come out to justify a contractor's estimate we thought was high....and USAA came in higher than the estimate!

You may pay a bit more, but I've always found the service to be very good..which is perhaps some of what I'm paying for.

CIMG2615.jpg

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for S&G, I was looking at the quotes for auto insurance between Farmer's and USAA. Farmers is twice the amount of USAA. I guess it just depends on the location and what kind of insurance for USAA.

Schnugg- I think $1000 is just a tad more than a "bit."

phrogpilot73

I'm surprised that it is so high. My wife had State Farm in MD (she owned the house before we got married), got a quote for identical coverage and USAA came in about $300/year under State Farm. For car insurance, she had GEICO and I got a quote for identical coverage, USAA came in $150/six months under GEICO.

The only thing that I can think of is that when we looked at switching her Farmer's insurance over at her rental property in VA Beach, we were told that it probably wasn't best because they changed a bunch of the rules in Hurricane prone states... Maybe that's why?

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mother-in-law suite...heck no, that's my place. My stuff, my tools, my beer fridge. :)

Nose

pilot
One of the best parts about USAA, UNLIMITED SPAM IN YOUR MAILBOX!!

Schnugg- believe it or not, you are lucky that tree hit your deck - if it had missed, you would have had to pay for tree removal (ins. only covers if there is damage to your property). After Isabel hit Va Beach in '03, I had to pay almost 5K to remove trees. Ouch.

Nose

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tree cost $750 to be cut up and removed...including the root ball.

I'm glad insurance, less my deductible covered this.

CIMG2619.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have always always always found USAA to be less expensive than other companies with regard to insurance products. Other stuff not necessarily. But I think it's pretty damn hard to beat em with the insurance.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have always always always found USAA to be less expensive than other companies with regard to insurance products. Other stuff not necessarily. But I think it's pretty damn hard to beat em with the insurance.

That's what I was thinking, but then I filled out their online "get a quote" for homeowners insurance and I thought it was a bit high. I called and got the same quote. It was ~$1360 vs Farmer's ~360, and Farmer's actually had better coverage. I talked to another company and there's was only a few bucks more than Farmer's. Maybe it's just a Texas thing? Maybe USAA has gone downhill? It's hard to think that insurance companies (such as USAA) would be so incredibly far off from its competitors.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
One thing I noticed between USAA and another company (recently bought a house/purchased homeowners insurance) was that the number USAA used for the replacement value was VERY high, I think the quoted 190,000 to replace my house, whereas the other company used 135,000 (which is more realistic). I dont know if that has much of an affect on the premium, but it's something to notice.