• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated DCO Gouge - Graduated Dec 7 2012

NE Huskers

My DCOIC Experience (class 13020 Nov 25-Dec 7)

I arrived on Saturday afternoon and checked into King Hall. The rooms are small and you share it with one other person. Basically, two twin beds, a desk and a wall locker. The rooms get hot at night, which is good because everyone sleeps on top of their made beds anyway – or they should! There is a communal head (which we do not have to clean).

Be prepared to make your bed with hospital corners, have your shoe laces laced outboard over inboard. They restrict caffeine/soda for the first week. It sucks – I need my caffeine. Some advice – they do not look in your wall locker, as long as it is locked. I brought a week’s worth of 5 hour energy shots to kick start my day.

Sunday afternoon (1500) was the official welcome aboard brief by the class officer and class Chief. The Chief yells somewhat, but nothing like Great Lakes. We did a BCA (height/weight). One guy was sent home. By 1800 we were essentially done and went to the galley for dinner. Lights out at 2130.

Unlike previous posts about DCO; the Chief told us when he was going to wake us up and he didn’t come earlier. The first day, we had a 0430 wake up. Many expected 0400 and set their alarms for 0350 and ended up waiting around. The first day was a lot of administrative items, student regulations, uniform inventory and issue, medical clearance, 3rd class swim test, etc… Throughout the day the Chief yelled, but not as much as expected. No PT at all that day. At this point, it feels like this course is going to take forever. Lights out at 2200.

Day 2. Urinalysis, more classes, drill/marching (yikes – this is rough for a lot of folks, especially non-priors) – definitely gets the Chief fired up. Again, no PT. Each night, class meeting, sing Anchors Aweigh, Marine Corp Hymn and cite The Sailors Creed. Lights out 2200.

Day 3. PT was moved from 0530 to 1000 (across DCO moving forward). Day full of classes, PT was indoors due to weather and was pretty light. Days are moving faster. Lights out 2200.

Day 4. Day full of classes, marching here and there. PT was decent today. We were a pilot for the Navy’s new PT program, NOFFS. Uses tension bands, a lot of stretching, and high intensity cardio. At first, I was a skeptic as I PT pretty aggressively, but once we got the hang of it and were able to incorporate more exercises, it was pretty effective. Much better than your typical military PT program (i.e. pushups, situps, jumping jacks, running). Something new every day with this program.

Day 5 (Friday). More classes, PT session, then Khaki Inspection in the afternoon. Study your gouge packet!!! Know your code of conduct, sailors creed, anchors aweigh, general orders, all military ranks, etc… The standard to pass is incredibility low, which really irritated me, being a prior Navy enlisted member. Don’t be the guy who doesn’t know the basics; i.e. the Sailors Creed. Be proud to wear the uniform and to serve the Navy. For you non-priors, you may not think it is a big deal to know this stuff, but to many of the prior service members who had to go through greater obstacles to earn the uniform, it was insulting when people did not know the basic knowledge of the service you are in. Granted, there are service members out there now that do not know this stuff, but they should! Anyway, please take pride in your uniform, the Khakis are so easy to maintain. Study, study, study!!

After the inspection, we were granted off-base liberty until 2200. We had to wear our Khakis. Most of us went to the White Horse Tavern (oldest tavern in America). Great food. Then we walked around Newport. We could not have alcohol.

Day 6-7: Saturday morning was the khaki re-inspection for those that did not pass (1). Chow, then to the Navy War College museum. Very interesting. At 1030, we were released on ‘full’ liberty until Sunday at 1800. We were permitted to wear civilian clothes and consume alcohol, which most of us did! Some people went up to Boston, others hung around Newport. We all came back, without incident!

Day 8: Monday. The weekend reverted many people back to civilian, so when it came to marching or lining up properly, we looked terrible. Chief got real loud most of the morning. Some advice, when you all return Sunday from liberty, RE-FOCUS your class, go over the military movements and how to form up properly.

Day 9: Tuesday. Comprehensive exam today – computer based, multiple choice. Real easy; although we did have a few folks that did not pass. More classes afterwards. In the evening, reps from your ‘job’ communities were supposed to come talk to us, but only medical corps and supply showed up.

Day 10 & 11. More classes, Service Dress Blues inspection, PT…

Day 12: PRT (not graded). Graduate, out-process, go home! We were done by 1130. Do not schedule a late flight out or you will be stuck in the airport all day.

Overall perception of DCOIC:
I was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high - I had expected PT everyday and higher standards across the board.

As a prior Navy enlisted member with 10 years active duty, I thought the DCO course was only good for reinforcing/reminding me of the regulations that I should be enforcing/following. Most of the things they make you do is not the true reality of the fleet. No one cares how your shoe laces are tied or that you say ‘OK’ or “yea”. Also, dictating how you are to eat your chow is ridiculous or how to set your canteen on the table – ridiculous games they want to play. Yes, attention to detail is important and I get the uniformity aspect, but comparing how one might place their canteen on the table to how one would handle a life or death situation are two totally different scenarios.

I thought they were too relaxed with the non-prior service folks; they needed more time, more classes and more militarization to know more about the service they are in and how they should operate. For those of you who went through Great Lakes, it will be a breeze and a bit of déjà vu. They do things a little differently at DCO than they do at Great Lakes, but overall it’s the same BS.

Our rooms were inspected once the entire time we were there. Come prepared-- if you can, have your uniforms inspection ready before you arrive. Anything you can do to save yourself a headache while you are there is highly recommended.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks for the update! I am anxiously awaiting the results of the November CEC DCO board.

A couple of questions for you.
1. What community are you in and how long from the end of the board until you heard if you had been selected?
2. Following selection, how long until you had your COMDOCS and were able to commission?
3. How long following commissioning did you wait before you attended DCOIC?
4. Did you do any drilling weekends prior to attending DCOIC?
5. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not non-priors ought to attend a drill weekend or two before DCOIC. What is your opinion?
6. Do you have any advice for a non-prior who hopes to attend DCOIC other than memorize everything and take pride in the uniform and that which it represents?

Congrats on getting selected and making it through DCOIC! :)

NE Huskers

1. IW (The board was last September, I found out I was selected I believe by the end of September. It was pretty quick)

2. My COMDOCs were not received until late December; they were actually lost, which caused the delay. I commissioned in January 2012. The COMDOCs should have arrived by early December. I still would have waited to be commissioned until January though, so it wasn't a big deal.

3. When I commissioned in January, the entire year of DCOIC classes were full. I just went a couple weeks ago. OTCN has revamped the system, so getting a course quota is much easier. They claim no wait lists.

4. No. I waited until after I was commissioned. Technically, I was not (back) in the Navy until I swore in.

5. I guess that is really up to you, I don't see an advantage or disadvantage to either decision.

6. Yes. Remember that the military structure is more of a dictatorship than a democracy. Realize you will probably get yelled at by the Chief, but remember its not personal, its all for "show" and to see how you will react while you are under "stress" or "pressure." Don't try to be the class clown or a chatter box, keep your mouth shut when you know you shouldn't be talking...common sense..... Listen to the small details the Chief or the Class Officer says when they are giving instructions - this was the biggest problem for a lot of people. When it comes to military movements, everything comes with a preparatory command, then the execution command. So, for example, one thing that a lot of folks got hit on during the uniform inspection was when the Chief or Class Officer would tell them "One Pace Forward" and right away that person would take a step forward. You must wait for the execution command, "One Pace Forward, MARCH." The small details is what got a lot of people hung up. "right, FACE" "left, FACE" etc... they will teach you all of that before hand, don't worry.

Personally, I would much rather have a prior or NON-prior take pride in their uniform and be able to recite military knowledge, over if they can perform a left facing movement during an inspection. Generally, the way you present/carry yourself in uniform speaks volumes for your character.

OHNavy

Truckin'
Another thought to hammer home NE Huskers' point on proper uniform wear.

I read once to always be proud of the uniform I wear because men (and women) have bled and died wearing the uniform. It is the honor we are due to them to wear it with dignity and pride.

Motivated82

My DCOIC Experience (class 13020 Nov 25-Dec 7)

I arrived on Saturday afternoon and checked into King Hall. The rooms are small and you share it with one other person. Basically, two twin beds, a desk and a wall locker. The rooms get hot at night, which is good because everyone sleeps on top of their made beds anyway – or they should! There is a communal head (which we do not have to clean).

Be prepared to make your bed with hospital corners, have your shoe laces laced outboard over inboard. They restrict caffeine/soda for the first week. It sucks – I need my caffeine. Some advice – they do not look in your wall locker, as long as it is locked. I brought a week’s worth of 5 hour energy shots to kick start my day.

Sunday afternoon (1500) was the official welcome aboard brief by the class officer and class Chief. The Chief yells somewhat, but nothing like Great Lakes. We did a BCA (height/weight). One guy was sent home. By 1800 we were essentially done and went to the galley for dinner. Lights out at 2130.

Unlike previous posts about DCO; the Chief told us when he was going to wake us up and he didn’t come earlier. The first day, we had a 0430 wake up. Many expected 0400 and set their alarms for 0350 and ended up waiting around. The first day was a lot of administrative items, student regulations, uniform inventory and issue, medical clearance, 3rd class swim test, etc… Throughout the day the Chief yelled, but not as much as expected. No PT at all that day. At this point, it feels like this course is going to take forever. Lights out at 2200.

Day 2. Urinalysis, more classes, drill/marching (yikes – this is rough for a lot of folks, especially non-priors) – definitely gets the Chief fired up. Again, no PT. Each night, class meeting, sing Anchors Aweigh, Marine Corp Hymn and cite The Sailors Creed. Lights out 2200.

Day 3. PT was moved from 0530 to 1000 (across DCO moving forward). Day full of classes, PT was indoors due to weather and was pretty light. Days are moving faster. Lights out 2200.

Day 4. Day full of classes, marching here and there. PT was decent today. We were a pilot for the Navy’s new PT program, NOFFS. Uses tension bands, a lot of stretching, and high intensity cardio. At first, I was a skeptic as I PT pretty aggressively, but once we got the hang of it and were able to incorporate more exercises, it was pretty effective. Much better than your typical military PT program (i.e. pushups, situps, jumping jacks, running). Something new every day with this program.

Day 5 (Friday). More classes, PT session, then Khaki Inspection in the afternoon. Study your gouge packet!!! Know your code of conduct, sailors creed, anchors aweigh, general orders, all military ranks, etc… The standard to pass is incredibility low, which really irritated me, being a prior Navy enlisted member. Don’t be the guy who doesn’t know the basics; i.e. the Sailors Creed. Be proud to wear the uniform and to serve the Navy. For you non-priors, you may not think it is a big deal to know this stuff, but to many of the prior service members who had to go through greater obstacles to earn the uniform, it was insulting when people did not know the basic knowledge of the service you are in. Granted, there are service members out there now that do not know this stuff, but they should! Anyway, please take pride in your uniform, the Khakis are so easy to maintain. Study, study, study!!

After the inspection, we were granted off-base liberty until 2200. We had to wear our Khakis. Most of us went to the White Horse Tavern (oldest tavern in America). Great food. Then we walked around Newport. We could not have alcohol.

Day 6-7: Saturday morning was the khaki re-inspection for those that did not pass (1). Chow, then to the Navy War College museum. Very interesting. At 1030, we were released on ‘full’ liberty until Sunday at 1800. We were permitted to wear civilian clothes and consume alcohol, which most of us did! Some people went up to Boston, others hung around Newport. We all came back, without incident!

Day 8: Monday. The weekend reverted many people back to civilian, so when it came to marching or lining up properly, we looked terrible. Chief got real loud most of the morning. Some advice, when you all return Sunday from liberty, RE-FOCUS your class, go over the military movements and how to form up properly.

Day 9: Tuesday. Comprehensive exam today – computer based, multiple choice. Real easy; although we did have a few folks that did not pass. More classes afterwards. In the evening, reps from your ‘job’ communities were supposed to come talk to us, but only medical corps and supply showed up.

Day 10 & 11. More classes, Service Dress Blues inspection, PT…

Day 12: PRT (not graded). Graduate, out-process, go home! We were done by 1130. Do not schedule a late flight out or you will be stuck in the airport all day.

Overall perception of DCOIC:
I was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps my expectations were too high - I had expected PT everyday and higher standards across the board.

As a prior Navy enlisted member with 10 years active duty, I thought the DCO course was only good for reinforcing/reminding me of the regulations that I should be enforcing/following. Most of the things they make you do is not the true reality of the fleet. No one cares how your shoe laces are tied or that you say ‘OK’ or “yea”. Also, dictating how you are to eat your chow is ridiculous or how to set your canteen on the table – ridiculous games they want to play. Yes, attention to detail is important and I get the uniformity aspect, but comparing how one might place their canteen on the table to how one would handle a life or death situation are two totally different scenarios.

I thought they were too relaxed with the non-prior service folks; they needed more time, more classes and more militarization to know more about the service they are in and how they should operate. For those of you who went through Great Lakes, it will be a breeze and a bit of déjà vu. They do things a little differently at DCO than they do at Great Lakes, but overall it’s the same BS.

Our rooms were inspected once the entire time we were there. Come prepared-- if you can, have your uniforms inspection ready before you arrive. Anything you can do to save yourself a headache while you are there is highly recommended.

navgovie

IW Officer
NE Huskers,

I believe I was in the Class just before your (13010), and I'd like to add that as a non-prior myself, I found the experience to be very useful. I personally found that the things like drill, canteen holding, and the other "annoying" things contributed significantly to the militarization of the class. While I certainly agree we needed more time, I dont believe any of the "ridiculous games" they put us through were without purpose.

For those of you interested, our class PAO officer created a FB page that shows a little taste of what it's like at DCO:
https://www.facebook.com/UsNavyDcoClass13010

Enjoy!

NG

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Quick question for those that have gone. I am finally getting to my DCOIC class and I have my NROWS orders all done but I realized the site says we have to pay for meals but it says meals are provided so what do I do in DTS? Is this out of pocket and not charged (can't imagine that).No one at my NOSC knows so figured I'd ask those that have went through the process.
My class is 17 Feb - 1 Mar if anyone else is heading that way.

Renegade One

None
Quick question...I realized the site says we have to pay for meals but it says meals are provided so what do I do in DTS?
You won't go hungry. When they walk you through the chow line (or whatever)…take all you want, eat all you take. Say thank you to any servers who may ladle stuff your way...

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Not worried about eating, worried about getting paid. No perdiem when lodging and meals provided so not sure how to process the DTS request. I think I need to go back to the NOSC

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Mbstroz,
From what I’ve read, it looks like it’s an out of pocket expense. “Your approximate daily cost for meals will be $11.55” is what the DCOIC web site says. Your Basic Allowance for Subsistence should be $242.60 a month or roughly $7.97 a day or $95.71 for your 12 day course. I don’t think that this is something you plan for on orders, it will just be part of your pay that you receive after DCOIC.

Good luck and have fun! I wish that I was on my way to RI too!

navgovie

IW Officer
Not worried about eating, worried about getting paid. No perdiem when lodging and meals provided so not sure how to process the DTS request. I think I need to go back to the NOSC

It is indeed an out of pocket expense. Once you arrive and a class treasurer is appointed, he will collect ~$110 for meals, and more if your planning to do a class tshirt and/or class dinner. I would bring ~$300 in cash for meals, alterations, nights out, and other minor items.

Sadly, even though meals are not provided for free, they still will mark that they ARE provided for you at no expense on your orders, thus making it so you do not receive any meal per diem. They claim this is because you are receiving BAH, which is bogus IMHO, but try not to let that distract you from the experience. :)

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to finally getting to go. I've been back in over a year and both DCOIC classes got messed up for me due to lost paperwork and funding. Glad to finally be going.