• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unsure about going SNA versus SNFO

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I wanted that ever since my friend's dad was playing a flight simulator game in front of me when I was 4 and he was screaming about his missiles not working. (I told him he was clearly out of missiles, as the HUD showed they had been fired, and he needed to tail the enemy aircraft and use guns.)

Sweet lord... A flight simulator video game with a hud and missiles at age 4? How old am I now? This is the flight simulator I was rocking at age 4......

Rivers_wallpapers_428.jpg

RiseR 25

I'm going to try to keep this short. I was intent on becoming an officer in the military after college, and it wasn't until a few months ago that I narrowed my focus to Navy, and particularly Naval Aviation, as what I think I would most enjoy. I think the culture of Naval Aviation sounds more like my sort of thing versus Subs or Surface Warfare, and because I'm solid on numbers and memorization, I was able to get a decent score on the ASTB. I initially wasn't sure about flying planes, though, despite hearing from a lot of people, including a couple Navy friends and some individuals on this board, about how I had "pilot numbers." I don't have any physical disqualifiers either, at least to my knowledge.

A couple things turned me on to putting NFO first, including hearing about an increased role in mission planning and more work with the computer-based systems, but after more reading, I'm starting to wonder if the degree to which the Pilot is involved in that stuff is dependent on how much the Pilot wants to be involved in that stuff and the airframe one gets assigned. I also preferred the NFO's shorter ADSO, but the more I look into it, the more I think rewards and opportunities from staying in would beat what I'd get by getting out.

The biggest reason, though, for me having trepidation about putting down Pilot, which I've struggled to articulate, is that I just don't know if I would be any good with the actual stick. I'm pretty confident that with academics, I can do really well if I'm willing to work for it, but I don't know that I wouldn't just end up a mediocre, or, even worse, flunked-out pilot by virtue of just not having that talent.

Is this a valid reason for requesting SNFO first, and not SNA? Are my worries complete garbage, and it will most likely be entirely possible for me to be a great pilot if I have the academics down, listen well, and work my ass off at it? Because of a submission hang-up, I've got some time to think it over before I make the final call.

I did do some time in the 172 and a glider. Not enough to get my license, but enough time to tell me that if I'm competitive enough I want to be the guy in the front seat for a living. I would highly recommend trying to get at least some exposure time in the cockpit with an instructor to find out for yourself. Generally I would say if your the type that likes FPShooters on video games, you might be the pilot type, but that is just an opinion. Do the time in the cockpit. I know it costs about 150/hr these days but it's worth it.

NCHopeful

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a ton of spare income at the moment, so I'd probably be able to get a couple of flights in at most, but it might help. ATM all I know is that I don't get airsick, at least not from fairly ordinary civilian flying, and usually enjoy the high-g sensation. I do dig the video games, though I mostly put them on the backburner during college. I was introduced to them by my dad, who was looking into military piloting back in the day before he found out his vision NPQed him.

RiseR 25

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a ton of spare income at the moment, so I'd probably be able to get a couple of flights in at most, but it might help. ATM all I know is that I don't get airsick, at least not from fairly ordinary civilian flying, and usually enjoy the high-g sensation. I do dig the video games, though I mostly put them on the backburner during college. I was introduced to them by my dad, who was looking into military piloting back in the day before he found out his vision NPQed him.

No problem, looks like you have a good start. Yeah I know it can hurt the wallet. I didn't finish my license when I did take lessons, spent the rest on a computer for school. It's completely understandable. Good Luck