• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Arizona Tucson

k_smittay

Anyways, I am not going to argue about a school I am not going to. If you are interested in U of A, call the unit and talk to the OC's and ask for an honest opinion. They will tell you. U of A is a great school if you want a good education.

Just visit the town before you decide to live there for 2-3 years, especially if you have a family.

Also, if you plan to live near the catalina mountains (the nicer area of tucson), expect to pay +300K for a house.

I would also suggest doing a google search for tucson message boards. They have them, and you can hear what the actual residents say about Tucson.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
One of the worlds top drop zones is about an hour and a half drive from tucson. So, it has that going for it :D

k_smittay

Hey that is something I will give tucson...

Buttercup and Glamis sand dunes are both about 4 hours away. Lake Havasu isn't to far either.

Oh yea.. U of A has a great basketball team.

See.. I can find good things about tucson..

I just don't see buttering up something that doesn't really deserve to be buttered up.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I think you need to re-read my post turbo. Oh.. and yes the crime is that bad.. I also said the scenery is boring.. and brown, nothing about terrible scenery.

About the concrete prison.. I put stock in what current students at U of A say.. not someone who "lived" in yuma.. 4 hours away.

Then when I tell you that I went to U of A for a year and lived in Tucson, does that change anything... 2003-2004. The U of A campus was awesome, by far one of the best I've ever been on. Tucson gets a bad rap, but its not as bad as some may imagine.

k_smittay

Then when I tell you that I went to U of A for a year and lived in Tucson, does that change anything... 2003-2004. The U of A campus was awesome, by far one of the best I've ever been on. Tucson gets a bad rap, but its not as bad as some may imagine.

Like I said, there are always some who love it. The minority never gets the vote though. :)

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
I will see you there buddy. I am headed to Pima for a semester, then transfering to U of A to finish a computer science major myself. Pima and U of A share the same NROTC unit. I leave for boost 17FEB. I used to live in AZ and have been to Tucson and the U of A area a lot. Its really nice. Granted, some of the neighborhoods immediately surrounding U of A are trashy, but the campus is awesome, and Tucson isnt as bad as people make it out to be...

How does that work transferring between the NROTC cross town affiliates? I may need to go to Pima for the summer then to U of A in the fall all due to a U of A debacle.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
At least when I went there, Pima doesn't actually have a ROTC unit. You can just take the classes over the summer and transfer them to the U of A and remain enrolled there. For instance, I failed a math class at U of A and retook it at Pima over the summer and transfered the credit in the fall (HIGHLY recommended tactic, by the way - cheaper, easier, and more help from the professor). If you need to actually enroll only at Pima due to problems with U of A, I would contact your academic advisor (one of the LTs at the unit) and run this by them. It shouldn't be a big deal, but they will have the best gouge.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Give it a rest. Tucson is no worse then most cities it's size, and yes I have been down there a lot. I also know the school, and isn't that why you are going there? The ASU, UofA rivalry aside, UofA is a very good school and some of it's majors are world class, top notch. The NROTC unit is also very good. You are there for an education, just a few years. Who cares about a few hot days in the summer. You will deploy to places hotter then Tucson, and yes, maybe even PCS to a city browner, dryer and hotter then Tucson. It is not that rough around campus, ever been to Southern Cal? Just don't wonder the streets shit faced at 0200. Don't like the "concrete prison" (makes no sense, not worth repeating even if it came from someone who lived there), then drive for for an hour into some real wilderness. You can afford to live well in Tucson as a STA-21 student and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants for those days when you can't break out of the "concrete prison." What more do you need?