• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform to college graduation?

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
What would be an appropriate uniform to wear to a girlfriends college graduation in May? Or just skip it and dress up nicely in a civilian clothes?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Life's guide to not being a douche, part 69: Never show up to someone else's major life event in uniform, unless one of two things are true. First, it is a military event with a specific uniform published by the host for military guests to wear. Second, the person whose day it is has asked you to wear your uniform. If neither of these are true, you come off as an attention whore who is taking the focus away from the person/people the event is supposed to be about.

This goes for weddings, graduations, funerals, etc.

exNavyOffRec

Life's guide to not being a douche, part 69: Never show up to someone else's major life event in uniform, unless one of two things are true. First, it is a military event with a specific uniform published by the host for military guests to wear. Second, the person whose day it is has asked you to wear your uniform. If neither of these are true, you come off as an attention whore who is taking the focus away from the person/people the event is supposed to be about.

This goes for weddings, graduations, funerals, etc.

+1

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're starting OCS in mid-Jan, don't get 'rolled'.... you may miss the show!:eek:
BzB

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
Ya she would kill me if I rolled and missed it. And she asked and I had no clue but figured you guys would definitely know what to wear...I just wanted to do a polo and nice jeans haha. Thanks again for the advice.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, and if she did ask you to show up in uniform, look at the civ dress code.
  • SDBs or SDWs equal a civilian coat and tie or business suit. Wear what's in season for your region. If in doubt, wear blues; they're always appropriate year-round. Whites in winter, not so much.
  • Khakis or Summer Whites equal civilian shirt and tie with no jacket or business casual. Khaki is wearable year-round but is slightly less dressy than whites. I would wear whites as a summer equivalent to shirt and tie.
  • There's really no reason to wear anything else to a civ event unless you've been invited in your mil capacity to a black tie gala or something. Full dress blue or white is usually pompous overkill in a non-mil setting. And anything less formal than khakis is kind of pointless to wear to an official non-mil function.
Oh, and for the Marines and zoomies . . . here. I don't know why everyone in a joint environment tends to fuck the execution of this table up, but here it is, as approved by the Joint Chiefs.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ormregulations/chapter6/Pages/Table6_6_1.aspx

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SDBs or SDWs equal a civilian coat and tie or business suit. Wear what's in season for your region. If in doubt, wear blues; they're always appropriate year-round. Whites in winter, not so much.

That would be the default uniform to go to unless they want to show you off in whites.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ya she would kill me if I rolled and missed it. And she asked and I had no clue but figured you guys would definitely know what to wear...I just wanted to do a polo and nice jeans haha. Thanks again for the advice.
Nittany has given you great advice. Here's another thing to consider: If you wear SDBs, you are not only going to stand out because you are in military uniform, but also because you are over-dressed for the occassion. On the other hand, wearing service khakis or summer whites will equally look out of place.

A polo or button down and slacks is probably your best bet. Just politely tell her that you don't want to take attention away from her and the other college grads.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Nittany has given you great advice. Here's another thing to consider: If you wear SDBs, you are not only going to stand out because you are in military uniform, but also because you are over-dressed for the occassion. On the other hand, wearing service khakis or summer whites will equally look out of place.

A polo or button down and slacks is probably your best bet. Just politely tell her that you don't want to take attention away from her and the other college grads.
To piggy back the question what about to my buddy's marine boot camp graduation? I figured SDBs but I'm new to this dance and don't want to look like I'm strutting through Parris island like a tool.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never been to a boot camp graduation or anything but it's a military function so you won't be the only person in uniform, even if it's a different service. That being said, always good to ask the person who's event it is to ask if you can, though with a boot camp graduation you might not be able to get that answer.