• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ultra thin/flat ribbons and medals

sarnav

I did use the search: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8202&highlight=thin+ribbons but I just want to double check before I spend this much money on something I may not need. Can we wear the flat ribbons/medals? From previous posts it suggests you can but since these are over a year old I dont want to assume. Also with regard to the ESWS I only have the normal metal one. Am I supposed to invest in the silver "bling bling" looking one? Personal opinion is the flashy one looks stupid but I want to have the right chest candy for the inspections. Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sarnav said:
I did use the search: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8202&highlight=thin+ribbons but I just want to double check before I spend this much money on something I may not need. Can we wear the flat ribbons/medals? From previous posts it suggests you can but since these are over a year old I dont want to assume. Also with regard to the ESWS I only have the normal metal one. Am I supposed to invest in the silver "bling bling" looking one? Personal opinion is the flashy one looks stupid but I want to have the right chest candy for the inspections. Thanks.
I can't speak to any TRACOMisms, but thin ribbons are authorized and worn everywhere else in the fleet. Second the gayness of the silver ESWS/EAWS.

Brett

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I don't know about Navy OCS, but as an Officer Candidate at the Naval Science Insitute (part of STA 21), we were not allowed to wear ultrathins, nor were we allowed to only wear our top three. It didn't change my life any, but some of the more seasoned sailors had to go and pick up the real ribbons.

KimberlyD

My husband ONLY wears ultrathins, I don't think he even owns the "normal" ones anymore, he thinks the ultrathins present better. He has never had a problem w/ his inspections.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't remember any of the priors wearing the ultrathin ribbons...I'd play it on the safe side and go normal. None of them had the "bling" either, so I think you're ok there.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a note on Ultrathins...they're great as your "good set", but if you have to wear them everyday (God help you if you do...I do...) they get dirty and are impossible to clean. I use the normal ones and just replace the ones that get dirty (Comm and Battle E mostly).

The Ultrathin ribbon devices fall off all the time too. Drag.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I don't know about Navy OCS, but as an Officer Candidate at the Naval Science Insitute (part of STA 21), we were not allowed to wear ultrathins, nor were we allowed to only wear our top three. It didn't change my life any, but some of the more seasoned sailors had to go and pick up the real ribbons.

I use the ultrathins. That doesn't answer the post. Sorry. As far as the top 3, I thought you needed 5 rows to do that?

Sabre170

None
I use the ultra thin ones all the time. I have two sets, one magnetic and one with the pins. I recommend the pins for when you wear them all day. The magnets keep moving and you spend all day looking at your chest to see if your ribbons are where they need to be.

S.O.B.

pilot
I usually order mine through the exchange, I’ve found that they are considerably cheaper from what I have seen on line.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dunno when, but as stated here:

3. Arrangement. Arrange ribbons in order of precedence in rows from top down, inboard to outboard. Wear either the three senior ribbons, or all ribbons if you have earned three or more.

(uniform regs 5312)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
When did the Navy go to wearing just three ribbons when in khakis?

I followed my 3 stars lead...in wash khakis I wore no ribbons, just wings and a nametag.

In whites or Gaberdine (dress) khaki he would only wear the top three. I did the same.

Sometime I'd wear all 5+ rows...but rarely and usually only for formal occasions.

Never had any hearburn over that.