• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uh-Oh

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Oh no. I have no doubt that this will start a ****storm in some congresswoman's office. I have to question the truth of the accusation in light of previous scandals. Honestly, all the scandals and turmoil at the Academy is making me question whether or not I want to be in that environment.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I generally have great faith in the Navy's legal system to uncover the real facts, I cringe to think how this alleged incident will intersect with USNA's whole "zero tolerance" thing WRT sexual harassment, etc. I don't think they would automatically railroad the guy, but he sure won't be given the benefit of the doubt there. Assuming the Art. 32 finds sufficient cause to proceed, I would motion for a change of venue if I were counsel.

Buyer's remorse anyone?

Brett

Rebel652

pilot
Wow, didn't hear anything about this until getting an email this morning and reading this post. The rumor mill must not make it over to my wing.:confused:

PanthroNFO

FOS like a Bo$$ :0/
None
This is frickin' rediculous, its a deja vu throwback to Chris McCoy back in the mid-90s. Insane

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I know Midn Owens well enough... didn't come across as the type of guy who'd do something like that. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. I'd also like to know who accused him.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
TheBubba said:
I know Midn Owens well enough... didn't come across as the type of guy who'd do something like that. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. I'd also like to know who accused him.

A little bit of humor to this serious matter.... Bubba, don't you remember those videos on how to aviod child abduction everyone was shown as a kid, remember, it's not the bum on crack you need to look out for, it's the guy in the suit in the ferrari.

Last year two of my friends were charged with sexual harrasment, both parties were at fault, but my friends actions were such that they were guilty and the others not.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
H20man said:
A little bit of humor to this serious matter.... Bubba, don't you remember those videos on how to aviod child abduction everyone was shown as a kid, remember, it's not the bum on crack you need to look out for, it's the guy in the suit in the ferrari.

Last year two of my friends were charged with sexual harrasment, both parties were at fault, but my friends actions were such that they were guilty and the others not.

Yeah... I remember those videos. And you do bring up a good point. I've had "friends" that ended up doing stuff no one thought they'd do... goes to show sometimes you never truly know a person.

Interestingly enough, even if the intercourse begins as consensual, IF at anytime one person decides they don't want to continue, and the other doesn't stop, it becomes rape. Not saying that's what happened in this case, but if you remember (I think it was a few years ago) a guy in California was charged and convicted of rape (sex started out consensual), she indicated that she needed to go home. Instead of stopping, the guy just went faster. She accused him of rape. It stuck b/c it was determined that the girl made indication that she wanted to stop. When his friends found out he was being charged with rape, they couldn't believe it b/c of his attitudeand such.

If at anytime, the female Mid told Owens she didn't want to do whatever, and he continued, hammer him. If she's crying wolf, hammer her for that.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
TheBubba said:
If at anytime, the female Mid told Owens she didn't want to do whatever, and he continued, hammer him. If she's crying wolf, hammer her for that.

And what if she decided she didn't want to have sex five minutes or some other time after they were done? I know of at least 3 times a woman has accused a man of rape because they either broke-up or they had an arguement. Look at what happened to Jerome Bettis a few years ago. The playing field here is severely tilted in the woman's favor. Problem is that the Navy does what is best for the Navy. Even if the guy is innocent with the publicity that this has recieved he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell. The identities of both parties involved should have been kept confidential at least until there was a hearing to decide if there was enough evidence to proceede. If he actually raped her then I hope they throw the book at him, but if he didn't the damage to his reputation has already been done.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
If she's crying wolf, hammer her for that.

And we can tell this how???

Who do you think will win in a "he said/she said" case where trace evidence indicates something did occur...???

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
JIMC5499 said:
And what if she decided she didn't want to have sex five minutes or some other time after they were done? I know of at least 3 times a woman has accused a man of rape because they either broke-up or they had an arguement. Look at what happened to Jerome Bettis a few years ago. The playing field here is severely tilted in the woman's favor. Problem is that the Navy does what is best for the Navy. Even if the guy is innocent with the publicity that this has recieved he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell. The identities of both parties involved should have been kept confidential at least until there was a hearing to decide if there was enough evidence to proceede. If he actually raped her then I hope they throw the book at him, but if he didn't the damage to his reputation has already been done.

I'm talking about if a woman indicated she doesn't want to before or during the act and the guy doesn't stop. If a woman lets him finish, and then changes her mind, well then she's sh!t out, its not rape... its a bad decision.

Schnugg, there are times when it can be told if the woman's crying wolf (happend to a friend of my mother's). If it comes down to a he said/she said, she'll most likely win.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
Even if the guy is innocent with the publicity that this has recieved he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell.
I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but it all goes to show you - Don't sh!t where you eat! Otherwise, you are playing Russian Roulette with your career.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about the case of a slightly intoxicated consensual rendezvous that ends in a little woo-woo.

Then the next day under the hot sun and with a nice headache someone decides they didn't really like what happened. The light of day does that sometimes...

Suddenly it becomes a unrestricted SAVI case and a criminal investigation is started days, weeks even months later.

Should there be a statue of limitations in cases like this...perhaps 5 days or so?

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
This argument is endless and will go round and round...so much damage done to all parties, accused, alleged victim...the academy...it really is a shame..no matter how it turns out...