• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uh oh, this isn't supposed to happen

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Went to the range and, uh, my bolt handle broke just as I was extracting a case. Same bolt that I had just added a new extractor to because it failed....two days before elk season.

FWIW, it is a Remingotn Sendero, .300 Winchester Magnum.

Remington offered to fix it for free. I decided to send it off to a machine shop and have them drill and tap three screws and solder it again. Pretty clear to see that the factory solder job was poorly prepped.

DSC00044.jpg

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Eww... that about sucks... It just broke off as you were opening the bolt?

At least Remington offered to fix it for free...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Lucky that I have another Model 700 and even luckier still that the headspace on the two is the same.....so, I can use both bolts interchangeably. It is never a good idea to swap bolts from model to model unless you first check the headspace.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Just curious why you chose a Sendero for elk hunting. Fro what I could tell, the Sendero is a pretty heavy benchrest style rifle that would not be pleasant to carry up an down mountains.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
It is a bit heavier than my wooden stocked guns, but, no so much that I complain about it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
feddoc said:
Went to the range and, uh, my bolt handle broke just as I was extracting a case....it is a Remingotn Sendero, .300 Winchester Magnum.....Remington offered to fix it for free.

Amazingly crappy performance from Remington.

Ummmmm .... why can't they just ship you a new bolt??? Email 'em this picture and your sales receipt. Just an idea .... :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I thought about the new bolt, but only briefly because I did not want to deal with additional headspace issues. Since the only other Remington I have and this one can share bolts (match up wrt headspace), keeping the old bolt seemed like the logical thing to do.

This one is accurate enough, but no more than my sporter weight Winchesters.

Too bad Winchester is going belly up.