• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ugliest Aircraft Submissions....

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
phalcon_c1.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^I know that's a RC-135 variant....not Cobra Ball, but something similiar that measured ICBM tyllemetry Zip?

jmcquate

Contributor
Why did the Euros put tanks/pylons on the upper wings?? Seems like they would be much tougher to service. I've seen this with the SEPECAT Jag and F-1 Mirage as well.....

The main gear retracts outbourd (checkout the wheel wells), there was no room for hardpoints. I have no idea why the Jaguar had hardpoints on top of the wings.

jmcquate

Contributor
^I know that's a RC-135 variant....not Cobra Ball, but something similiar that measured ICBM tyllemetry Zip?

It's an EC-135N ARIA, and it did track launch tyllemetry. I believe they were based at Wright Pat.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think Zip found a winner. There are some fairly shiteous special type P-3s out there that do similar work to that EC-135.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually saw one of these (now owned by a foreign air force) in person. It was parked in a hangar that had not been built for something that size. So as I walk around the corner on the way back from a weather brief, I see that gonad-looking nose sticking out of holes in a set of modified hangar doors. Some negotiation and a patch swap later got me a walkaround and interior tour. Bizarre shit.

The Crab

Why did the Euros put tanks/pylons on the upper wings?? Seems like they would be much tougher to service. I've seen this with the SEPECAT Jag and F-1 Mirage as well.....

RAF Jags used them only for carrying Sidewinders for self defence, kind of ironic that the only time they would have needed them was when a RAF F-4 bounced a pair of them and shot one down accidentally. Probably quite lucky the wingman didnt have them, he wasnt best pleased to see his leader go in (pilot ejected safely). Some good pics of the last Jag squadron carrying acquisiton rounds overwing here .. http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/nostalgic-photos-f71/jags-t16570.htm#88117

I reckon those photos prove that even if we dont design an aircraft to be ugly we just go back and add things to it to make it that way.

OscarMyers

None
How about this one f-82 twin mustang twice as beautiful yet somehow creepy

Attachments

• 794px-F82_twin_mustang.jpg
    794px-F82_twin_mustang.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 33

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
you do know that the MKIV was actually contending for the USN MMA a few years back!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I always thought that this little commie bugger was sort of bizarre, but held its own pretty well though in 1941.

i16.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RN Uglies

F-82: Odd, yes. Ugly, no.

My vote for ugly goes to the Nimrod:

My vote for ugly goes to the RN Fairy Gannett. A rather unique wing fold system (3-section "scissors" type fold). Also note counter-rotating props.

On my '61 USS Ticonderoga deployment, we participated in a "cross-deck" operation with the RN Carrier Victorious. They sent Gannetts & Supermarine Scimitars to run our deck and we sent Skyhawks & Demons to run theirs. The ops went flawlessly, only problem was the Scimitar had to have the nose hydraulically jacked up to take bridle tension. Cat crew was not pleased with having to remove the jack with the launch button armed!:eek:
The Gannett sounded like a Bumble Bee on taxi & launch.:sleep_125
The Scimitar looked very much like our F3H-2 Demon.

By the way, do we do cross-decks any more? Probably no foreign compatible carrier deck remaining
BzB

Attachments

• Gannett 1.jpg
    Gannett 1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Gannett 2.jpg
    Gannett 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 36
  • xd278-arkroyal1960.jpg
    xd278-arkroyal1960.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 40