• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UFOs?

Mirage

pilot
By acknowledging the limitations of our knowledge and understanding does not mean we need to jump to fantastical conclusions of "what could be".
Completely agree, but as I said in a previous post, we also shouldn't rule out legitimate possibilities until we can establish facts that allow us to. In this case, we are far from a shred of evidence, let alone facts. If you close your mind off to legitimate possibilities, or pass off assumptions as facts and label anything else as the ramblings of crazy conspiracy theorists, you risk making the same mistake some of the brightest minds in history made when they assumed we were the center of the universe, that the earth was flat, that you couldn't break the sound barrier (RIP Chuck), etc etc.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Probably a mish mash of drones, balloons, and wonky sensors. It's so easy for anyone to make relatively high performance drones and near orbit capable rockets. I'm sure some hobbyists have combined the two to make some sort of home made cruise missiles.

Could it be something like the above such as a sub launched drone from other countries sent to observe our forces and responses? Also seems possible when combined with sensor shennagins. Or maybe some sort of our own red team with drones/balloons designed to exploit sensor gaps and to verify whether they can be tricked?
Taking these at face value, I find them worrisome, and would think that the IC would be paying more attention and that warfighters/policymakers would be banging down the IC’s door for answers.

For reference, as you no doubt know, the IC published a handful of articles about UBL/al Qaeda prior to the 9/11 attacks, and it was still the IC’s worst failure - necessitating a big Congressional commission and a report with big cultural changes.

Then the IC got it wrong on Iraq WMD (HUMINT source ‘Curveball’), another failure, precipitating even more scrutiny, Congressional hearings, reports, and culuture/org changes.

So if there is some advanced threat out there that the IC is either ignoring or knows about but is failing to adequately investigate, then we are at risk of another failure to warn - which I think would be a bigger deal than 9/11 or Iraq WMD. As deadly as those enemies were, neither of them operated advanced aircraft that could exceed the capabilities of our 4th gen fighters in terms of speed, maneuverability, radar jamming, etc. We were never at risk of completely losing air superiority in the AO.

And if the anomaly is, as you suggest, possibly a wacky new US technology that we decided to red team against our own fleet without telling them... then why is CDR Fravor out there giving so many interviews, and why are the NY Times and DoD press website releasing videos and statements to publicize the capability gaps exposed by the red team’s apparent success?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Taking these at face value, I find them worrisome, and would think that the IC would be paying more attention and that warfighters/policymakers would be banging down the IC’s door for answers.

For reference, as you no doubt know, the IC published a handful of articles about UBL/al Qaeda prior to the 9/11 attacks, and it was still the IC’s worst failure - necessitating a big Congressional commission and a report with big cultural changes.

Then the IC got it wrong on Iraq WMD (HUMINT source ‘Curveball’), another failure, precipitating even more scrutiny, Congressional hearings, reports, and culuture/org changes.

So if there is some advanced threat out there that the IC is either ignoring or knows about but is failing to adequately investigate, then we are at risk of another failure to warn - which I think would be a bigger deal than 9/11 or Iraq WMD. As deadly as those enemies were, neither of them operated advanced aircraft that could exceed the capabilities of our 4th gen fighters in terms of speed, maneuverability, radar jamming, etc. We were never at risk of completely losing air superiority in the AO.

And if the anomaly is, as you suggest, possibly a wacky new US technology that we decided to red team against our own fleet without telling them... then why is CDR Fravor out there giving so many interviews, and why are the NY Times and DoD press website releasing videos and statements to publicize the capability gaps exposed by the red team’s apparent success?
What makes you think they (IC) aren't tracking this, aware of, etc? If they were and it was within the norm of existing technologies why would they say anything and reveal their hand? Some random O5 isn't going to get ready in on something just because he happened to see it.

I also don't think there's some kind bending capability. It's an existing technology, perhaps being used differently (sub launched drone/balloon?) combined with sensor funny business. Perhaps the drone has something on it to make it look different to different sensors (radar reflectors, IR jammer, etc). Perhaps that's on purpose to test the response of the systems theyre trying to elicit a response from. And also something to do with normal sensor limitations.

I mean, let's not put explicit faith in our sensors, AEGIS is the system that managed to convince an entire ship that an aircraft squawking and talking IAW normal ICAO rules was a threat. In test I've seen radars call out that targets are going impossible speeds and the conduct "impossible maneuvers" but the ground truth on the targets is that they didn't do anything impossible. It had more to with radar processing, limitations, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In test I've seen radars call out that targets are going impossible speeds and the conduct "impossible maneuvers" but the ground truth on the targets is that they didn't do anything impossible. It had more to with radar processing, limitations, etc.

I didn't carry my cell phone with me while on deployment, but on my last deployment, I wish I had one day. The vortex to another dimension that we found on radar (and could actually see when we closed on it) was pretty amusing when depicted on the radar. Apparently the dimensional vortex also had a lot of fish crossing from one dimension to the other, because a lot of fisherman (and one bad guy COI) were all working along the length of it. About the closest thing I've seen to The Final Countdown storm.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I didn't carry my cell phone with me while on deployment, but on my last deployment, I wish I had one day. The vortex to another dimension that we found on radar (and could actually see when we closed on it) was pretty amusing when depicted on the radar. Apparently the dimensional vortex also had a lot of fish crossing from one dimension to the other, because a lot of fisherman (and one bad guy COI) were all working along the length of it. About the closest thing I've seen to The Final Countdown storm.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Sometimes normal stuff looks weird on different sensors... especially highly capable sensors.

Sometimes it really is just a seismic event. You know, like a magma displacement. But maybe ST2 Jones is on to something there and does hear singing....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sometimes it really is just a seismic event. You know, like a magma displacement. But maybe ST2 Jones is on to something there and does hear singing....

Literally just watched that (started yesterday at work, finished it today at home during lunch). While there is so much "not quite right," there is so much right that it's still a great flick.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Literally just watched that (started yesterday at work, finished it today at home during lunch). While there is so much "not quite right," there is so much right that it's still a great flick.
The fun thing about that (and some of his books) is how many things about them are pretty close to being right. It goes to show how much stuff you can find out even when you don't have a security clearance.

Mirage

pilot
What makes you think they (IC) aren't tracking this, aware of, etc? If they were and it was within the norm of existing technologies why would they say anything and reveal their hand? Some random O5 isn't going to get ready in on something just because he happened to see it.

I also don't think there's some kind bending capability. It's an existing technology, perhaps being used differently (sub launched drone/balloon?) combined with sensor funny business. Perhaps the drone has something on it to make it look different to different sensors (radar reflectors, IR jammer, etc). Perhaps that's on purpose to test the response of the systems theyre trying to elicit a response from. And also something to do with normal sensor limitations.

I mean, let's not put explicit faith in our sensors, AEGIS is the system that managed to convince an entire ship that an aircraft squawking and talking IAW normal ICAO rules was a threat. In test I've seen radars call out that targets are going impossible speeds and the conduct "impossible maneuvers" but the ground truth on the targets is that they didn't do anything impossible. It had more to with radar processing, limitations, etc.
These are all great ideas that I'd bet are more likely than ET, but they still don't make any sense based on what anyone here has access to. For example, why would SECDEF/ONI create a task force to study these UAP and specifically say they haven't ruled out ET if it was the actions of a red team, and all of this was classified and not yet made public? Why would Senators from both sides of the isle with access to more info than we have be saying the gov needs to release more info on it to the public? Why would former defense officials involved in the studies be coming forward talking about it? I agree with you that a random O-5 woudn't be read into the program (if it existed), but he probably would be told to stfu about it.

Again, too much uncertainty for anyone to talk like they know what's going on, in my opinion.

Pags

N/A
pilot
These are all great ideas that I'd bet are more likely than ET, but they still don't make any sense based on what anyone here has access to. For example, why would SECDEF/ONI create a task force to study these UAP and specifically say they haven't ruled out ET if it was the actions of a red team, and all of this was classified and not yet made public? Why would Senators from both sides of the isle with access to more info than we have be saying the gov needs to release more info on it to the public? Why would former defense officials involved in the studies be coming forward talking about it? I agree with you that a random O-5 woudn't be read into the program (if it existed), but he probably would be told to stfu about it.

Again, too much uncertainty for anyone to talk like they know what's going on, in my opinion.
If it was actions of a red team that align to a threat or some such why would that become public knowledge? Maybe the ET is cover for something else. Just like mining manganese nodules from the ocean floor is a decent cover for other things. Maybe the senators think we should tell the public about actions of competitors to ensure we all agree that we agree that we need to close the tic tac gap with the ruskies? Former defense officials who are now employed by the guy from Blink182's alien project? I can't imagine what sort of incentive he'd have. Plus, there's no shortage of real world wacky crap from "DOD officials" at ONR.